Announcement

Post a reply

Write your message and submit

Click in the dark area of the image to send your post.

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

Bill Clark
2019-03-10 02:31:17

I tried to install Piwigo 2.9.4 in Google GCP today.  I created a cloud SQL instance and then created an UbuntuVM for the web front end.

I quickly ran into an issue the STRICT mode mysql 5.7.  I went and addressed that.
I then found that there was no way to force the piwigo to reinstall so I found the SQL files used and created the structure myself.  I found out Google Cloud SQL does not support MyIsam so I searched and replaced with InnoDB.  Not sure if this is a problem.

I then finally got all the insert into piwigo db.

I go to the US now and it wants me to upgrade db with an admin user.

I realize there is not admin user so I make one in the table.
I then make a record for that user in the piwigo_user_infos table and make his status an admin

Then login with that user and it starts to do something it now just displays
=== upgrade 150

everytime I sign in with this user.

Im starting to wonder if the engine change is just throwing this off and maybe I need to walk away from using Google Cloud SQL....

Any ideas what I could look at to get past this or just start over do it with a MariaDB that support MyISAM?

Jessy
2018-08-13 23:40:19

Thanks for this ;) in waiting upgrade of the following plugin
http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.ph … p;rid=6604
Check Files Integrity

David
2018-08-09 00:20:27

I too experienced an error following the 2.9.4 upgrade:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home1/collcas1/public_html/photos/include/dblayer/functions_mysqli.inc.php on line 403

After reading this thread, I examined my HostGator server to discover PHP was configured to 5.2. Just changed to version to 7.0 and the world is once again groovy. All is working well again.

BTW, you fine Piwigo folks really rock. Thank you, thank you for all this wonderful photo solution!!

David

joi
2018-08-02 18:43:44

Regarding the PHP versions, my provider has multiple versions available for backwards compatibility.  It is up to the users (me) to make sure that the one used is compatible.  I guess the users (me) don't pay much attention to these things if everything seems to run fine... don't fix what's not broken.

I clearer warning would have been appreciated.  You could even have built in a PHP version check in your upgrade for these 3% of the population like me.

plg
2018-07-18 11:23:04

Zentalquabula wrote:

plg wrote:

Actually, support for PHP 7.2 has started with Piwigo 2.9.4. This is not the recommended PHP version yet. I recommend 7.0 or 7.1.

If Wordpress had that philosophy, it would be nearly nowhere near where it is today.

I see that Wordpress is now indeed recommending PHP 7.2. But I seriously doubt all their 30k plugins are compatible with PHP 7.2 :-)

I'm OK to recommend PHP 7.2 for Piwigo core, but I know for sure some plugins will have warnings.

Zentalquabula wrote:

Software developers tend to require a minimum version of underlying software, but rarely a maximum version… Software must be forward compatible, but not necessarily compatible with decades old software.

Until very recently, Wordpress was still compatible with PHP 5.2 [... a few seconds later...] I see on https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/ that they recommend 7.2 but say they're still compatible with PHP 5.2. I wonder how it's possible, because we had to decide between 5.2 and 7.2, they must have found some kind or magic... or they simply did not update their requirements page ;-).

Zentalquabula wrote:

PHP announces changes and deprecated constructs far ahead (years!), so it should be easy to prepare for compatibility in advance.

We've been late on compatibility with PHP 7.2, I agree. Let me explain why.

What matters the most, to me at least, is the version of PHP provided by major Linux distributions. Why Linux distros? because that's what runs on internet servers, 99% of the time. What do we currently have in current major distros:

* Debian 8 : PHP 5.6
* Debian 9 : PHP 7.0
* Ubuntu 18.04 : PHP 7.2
* Centos 7.x : PHP 5.4

You can see PHP 7.2 is far from being "common". Ubuntu 18.04 was released only 3 months ago, and is not often used on servers, more on personal computers.

Based on Wordpress.org statistics currently say PHP 5.2 is still used by ~3% and PHP 7.2 also ~3%. PHP 7.x is used by 31% and PHP 5.x by the remaining 69%. In 5 months from now, at the end of 2018, the last 5.x version will no longer be officially supported. I bet you will still have some PHP 5.x for years on servers ;-)

With those figures I'm trying to explain why it's sometimes more important/urgent to keep Piwigo compatible with old versions of PHP rather than jumping on next or upcoming versions.

Zentalquabula
2018-07-18 10:43:14

plg wrote:

Actually, support for PHP 7.2 has started with Piwigo 2.9.4. This is not the recommended PHP version yet. I recommend 7.0 or 7.1.

If Wordpress had that philosophy, it would be nearly nowhere near where it is today.

Software developers tend to require a minimum version of underlying software, but rarely a maximum version… Software must be forward compatible, but not necessarily compatible with decades old software.

PHP announces changes and deprecated constructs far ahead (years!), so it should be easy to prepare for compatibility in advance.

plg
2018-07-18 10:35:18

MikeH wrote:

Upgraded to Piwigo 2.9.4 today and keep getting error:
Warning: include(/themeconf.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/54c/b23/www.mharland.scot/web/piwigo/include/template.class.php on line 1156

I don't think it's related to the 2.9.4 update, please open a new topic so that we can discuss this issue :-)

plg
2018-07-18 10:02:55

Hi MikeH,

MikeH wrote:

Updated to PHP 7.2 to hopefully be more compatible with 2.9.4

MikeH wrote:

[...] and now get the following deprecated warning:
Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /www/sites/54c/b23/www.mharland.scot/web/piwigo/plugins/AdminTools/include/MultiView.class.php on line 41

A new version of this plugin (AdminTools) has been released and fixes this problem of compatibility with PHP 7.2.

MikeH wrote:

How is somebody who is using Piwigo for the first time supposed to install, immediately get these warnings and then have no way to install and run normally???

AdminTools is a plugin provided by default in Piwigo but it is technically distinct from Piwigo core. In the way we manage source code on Github. This is why it was not patched for PHP 7.2. I should have checked it before releasing Piwigo 2.9.4, my mistake. Simply update this plugin to its version 2.9.4.1 and the warning message will disappear.

Several other plugins will have such warnings, for sure. We can't patch all plugins at the same time. Please report any such warning, plugins or thems will be fixed accordingly :-)

MikeH
2018-07-18 00:33:56

Updated to PHP 7.2 to hopefully be more compatible with 2.9.4 and now get the following deprecated warning:
Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /www/sites/54c/b23/www.mharland.scot/web/piwigo/plugins/AdminTools/include/MultiView.class.php on line 41

How is somebody who is using Piwigo for the first time supposed to install, immediately get these warnings and then have no way to install and run normally???

MikeH
2018-07-17 20:26:39

Upgraded to Piwigo 2.9.4 today and keep getting error:
Warning: include(/themeconf.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /www/sites/54c/b23/www.mharland.scot/web/piwigo/include/template.class.php on line 1156

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/themeconf.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php70/php') in /www/sites/54c/b23/www.mharland.scot/web/piwigo/include/template.class.php on line 1156

Fatal error: Uncaught --> Smarty: Unable to load template file 'menubar.tpl' <-- thrown in /www/sites/54c/b23/www.mharland.scot/web/piwigo/include/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php on line 139

I have installed manually, deleted and reinstalled using the netinstaller and exactly get same errors.
As a beginner, I have no knowledge of installing themes or plugins to Piwigo.
How do I run Admin Tools?

Operating system: MacOS High Sierra
    PHP: 7.0

zork
2018-07-17 20:06:18

Thanks for the update all works fine now.

:)

f3red
2018-07-17 18:01:27

I hate it when this happens...

All I had to do was log out and log in again, and then all of the anomalies I mentioned below vanished. Please accept my apologies for any unnecessary expenditure of mental effort I may have caused - mea culpa!

--
First edit:
Darn it! I spoke too soon. After upgrading to php 7.2 I am no longer able to upload files!

I can bring up the add files web form, drag the files to the upload area, and start it, but (apparently) only one file gets uploaded. Further, the Cancel button doesn't stop the stalled transfer and I have to navigate away from the page to regain control.

Help?

--
Original reply:

plg, let me add my thanks for such a quality product. It really does the job, and it is always reassuring to know the team is watching my back.

I upgraded my Piwigo to 2.9.4 with no problems. None. Really!

Upon reflection, I decided to upgrade my php from 5.6 to 7.2, and now I get the following warning:

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; AddIndex has a deprecated constructor in /home/u_group/preller.us/384thBombGroupWebsite/htdocs/piwigo_384th_gallery/plugins/add_index/main.base.inc.php on line 25

Clearly not a current problem for me, but since I did not see it in any other posts I thought you would be interested to see what is happening "in the wild," so to speak.

Please keep up the good work!

SITE INFO:
https://photos.384thbombgroup.com/

Piwigo 2.9.4
    Operating system: Linux
    PHP: 7.2.5 [2018-07-17 08:57:32]
    MySQL: 5.6.34-log [2018-07-17 08:57:32]
    Graphics Library: External ImageMagick 6.7.7-10

executive
2018-07-17 05:04:40

I just upgraded Piwigo + Admin tools + Grum.
Everything is looking fine so far.

Thanks for your hard work.

plg
2018-07-16 19:04:46

joi wrote:

But why do you push a new version without warning users first to check their PHP version - if that is the culprit?  There was  no such warning in the email I got.

The warning is in this announcement:

Some important changes were made to make Piwigo compatible with PHP 7.2. Unfortunately (or not...) it means Piwigo is no longer compatible with PHP 5.2. PHP 5.3 is now required to run Piwigo 2.9.4.

But I understand it would be much better to get a warning sooner. That's why next "big" version of Piwigo will check for PHP/MySQL versions before update.

I have also added a "known issue" on the official release note, but you may not see it if you only use the Piwigo update page (inside your Piwigo I mean), which is perfectly how we designed the update tool.

plg
2018-07-16 18:51:33

A new version 2.9.4.1 of plugin extension:720 is available, fixing the PHP 7.2 issue.

A new version 3.5.10 of plugin extension:199 is available, fixing also the PHP 7.2 issue.

As far as I understand, the "unexpected T_FUNCTION" issue is only for PHP 5.2 users. I remind you that officially (from PHP team) version 5.2 support has stopped 7.5 years ago. That's quite a long time in current technological age :-) If your hosting provider is still running this version, you should seriously consider another hosting provider ;-)

Board footer