Announcement

#1 2008-12-07 14:32:20

Ondrej Slama

why not improve the SEO?

Hi,

I am SEO Analyst by profession and do like and use PHP webgallery. Unfortunatelly, it does seem to have some terrible SEO attributes... I might very well mistaken, but even in the new version I can't see:

- SEO friendly URL rewrites
- structured and editable unique page titles
- structured and editable meta descriptions
- unique and editable H1 headings (current H2 in photo detail pages should be H1 instead)
etc

regards
Ondrej Slama
http://www.ondrejslama.cz/fotky/

#2 2008-12-07 14:59:13

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: why not improve the SEO?

We are looking for good advices for SEO...
Give us some rules and they will be included in Piwigo 2.0.1 or 2.1 maybe.
Thanks.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2009-03-15 18:24:50

bjoern

hi guys, i dont know if this guy gave advises, but i am a SEO, too and i also think that piwigo is still terrible when it comes to SEO. i would appreciate to give you some advice on this topic (for free of course).

contact me here in the forum.

#4 2009-03-15 21:05:12

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

If I may ask, I have a question:
"Why pictures are not fully referenced by Google images?"
152 images in Google images vs. 568 images in demo (medium sized at least, and 568 thumbnails).

You can use demo as reference for your advices.

Many thanks in advance.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#5 2009-03-16 02:01:23

pictureperfect
2009-03-15

Hi,

it's me (bjoern), the same as the guest.
Unfortunately, I'm not specialized in Google Images but still have at least some knowledge about pictures.

Your "alt" attributes does not say very much. They should not contain the filename (which is anything23902390.jpg), but 1-4words (ideal would probably be 2-3), that describe the image.

(You could make it editable or) just keep the filename and give the pictures good names like this picture: http://piwigo.org/demo/picture.php?/564/category/Africa should be called "pyramide-camel.jpg" or something. If you implement this one, you could of course leave the file-extension out! Why not give pyramide-camel as alt attribute?

You have to keep in mind: Google can only see text. One of your pictures is called: "Canon_PowerShot_S45-2004-02-16_07-12-12.JPG". Well, and the next may be called the same but only one number differs. Google could think it's very similar to the other one as the filename is nearly the same and the image resolution/size, too. This could be a reason Google doesnt index more of your images.

By the way: Although Google does indeed index URLs with Parameters and understands them today, it would be far better to have own URLs for sites like this: http://piwigo.org/demo/index.php?/most_visited . Why not just call them .../demo/most_visited.php?

Sorry if my english may not be perfect, I'm from Germany.

Last edited by pictureperfect (2009-03-16 02:11:39)

#6 2009-03-16 14:59:39

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

First, thanks for your clear analysis and your English which is better than mine.

Next, several of team members will apply your advices in a short time.
Google images is scanning from time to time less that other bots, so
we will come back to you in more than 2 weeks maybe.

You may subscribe to this topic if you want to get our feedbacks and conclusions.

Thanks.

8-)

#7 2009-03-24 15:45:15

VDigital, could you point out at which files to look to optimise Piwigo's behaviour with regard to the points Ondrej made?
Or what are you planning to resolve these issues?

Regards,

#8 2009-03-24 16:07:40

pictureperfect
2009-03-15

7162 wrote:

VDigital, could you point out at which files to look to optimise Piwigo's behaviour with regard to the points Ondrej made?

Regards,

Actually Ondrej gave no advises at all (as far as I can see) but I gave 2 advises (regarding URLs and ALT-Tags).

Furthermore I want to add that Google sometimes needs very long time to include pictures into the index, so two weeks are quite a short time, VDigital.

If pictures are not included you could additionally add the following:
The category pages could not only have Img-Links but also the texts below the pictures could be hyperlinks to raise indexability.

#9 2009-03-25 11:13:11

pictureperfect wrote:

7162 wrote:

Regards,

Actually Ondrej gave no advises at all (as far as I can see) but I gave 2 advises (regarding URLs and ALT-Tags).

Furthermore I want to add that Google sometimes needs very long time to include pictures into the index, so two weeks are quite a short time, VDigital.

If pictures are not included you could additionally add the following:
The category pages could not only have Img-Links but also the texts below the pictures could be hyperlinks to raise indexability.

So, what about editing the html-meta data for example? How & Where?
Concerning the general structure of the code, it would be a good idea to have the sidebar/menu loaded after the content/images, because the content is supposed to be the most important part of the page. Search engines like variety. 

All in all, I would like more customisability especially with regard to Ondrej's points.

#10 2009-03-26 11:56:56

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

7162 wrote:

Regards,

Too early to give you some changes.

I really want to thank pictureperfect.
I get a lot of information about Google images.

I will come back soon
with several questions around this topic
and based on a concrete example.

Keep in touch.

8-)

#11 2010-01-05 07:02:20

jacksmith
2010-01-04

I am looking for some advices about SEO work for Google images.I hope for favourable reply.

Board footer