Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Cooliris/piclens: one row of thumbs in wall & display only Recent ??

#1 2010-02-06 03:56:14

quixote
2008-05-10

Cooliris/piclens: one row of thumbs in wall & display only Recent ??

How can I change the wall to show only one row of thumbnails?  I'd like to have the wall as a rather narrow strip (180px) along the top, with just one sliding row of thumbnails in it.  Right now it's squeezing three rows of eensy-beensy thumbnails in there. :(  (You can see how it looks at my photo gallery http://www.molvray.com/photos)

In the piclens Plugins subdir, I see a file called "generate_rss.php".  This line looks like it might be relevant (??):

Code:

// Mode des miniatures et des images normales dans piclens (avec et sans plugin secureimage)

$thumb_secure = array('', '&thumb=1', '');  // correspondant a 1-->'miniature' et 2-->'normal'

If I changed thumb=1 to thumb=2, for instance, would I be on the right track?  Or should I be editing some other file entirely?

Also, I have thousands of pictures.  I only want the most recent in the wall display.  Right now, I've set it to load most recent first, so at least they appear first, but the wall takes a long time to load because it thinks it has to do the whole lot.  I see an option to show only "most recent" on a "Specials" page, but I'd like to do that on the Home page.  What do I do?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :D

Last edited by quixote (2010-02-06 03:58:09)

#2 2010-02-08 10:22:49

tiico
2007-05-29

Re: Cooliris/piclens: one row of thumbs in wall & display only Recent ??

quixote wrote:

How can I change the wall to show only one row of thumbnails?  I'd like to have the wall as a rather narrow strip (180px) along the top, with just one sliding row of thumbnails in it.  Right now it's squeezing three rows of eensy-beensy thumbnails in there. :(  (You can see how it looks at my photo gallery http://www.molvray.com/photos)

In the piclens Plugins subdir, I see a file called "generate_rss.php".  This line looks like it might be relevant (??):

Code:

// Mode des miniatures et des images normales dans piclens (avec et sans plugin secureimage)

$thumb_secure = array('', '&thumb=1', '');  // correspondant a 1-->'miniature' et 2-->'normal'

If I changed thumb=1 to thumb=2, for instance, would I be on the right track?  Or should I be editing some other file entirely?

Also, I have thousands of pictures.  I only want the most recent in the wall display.  Right now, I've set it to load most recent first, so at least they appear first, but the wall takes a long time to load because it thinks it has to do the whole lot.  I see an option to show only "most recent" on a "Specials" page, but I'd like to do that on the Home page.  What do I do?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :D

Hi and sorry for the delay of my response! I'm busy...

So if you want show only 1 row in your 3dwall, you could just go on the last tab in the cooliris admin page (advanced 3d wall config) and select to display 1 row. In this case, this param is sent to cooliris flash module and only 1 row is displayed.

I have done this config in my test site, you could check if it's what you want to do.

Regards.
Tiico

#3 2010-02-08 16:16:39

quixote
2008-05-10

(The test site is stunning!)

I don't see the option you mention under advanced 3D wall config.  I have PWG Stuffs installed, and after the option to "Enabling Cooliris 3DWall" it says:

-  Note : Option not available because PWG_Stuff is installed (check the option in PWG_Stuff). Some settings can be changed here.
   [Optional] Using the local flash file (swf) for the 3DWall instead of the Cooliris site [In this case, the crossdomain.xml file is not needed]

I don't see any option under PWG Stuff, and if I disable it, the whole 3D Wall block goes away.  :(

I'm obviously missing something....

Also, I have it set to use a local flash file.  Is the option maybe unavailable in that case?

My other problem is how long it takes to load.  Is there some way to say "use only 100 most recent photos" on the Home page?

Last edited by quixote (2010-02-08 16:22:21)

#4 2010-02-09 11:09:14

tiico
2007-05-29

Hello

In fact, i think that the usage of the locale flash module is not compatible with this function (it's quite new and this plugin version didn't include the last flash module).
But, to choose the "number of row" to display in your 3d wall, you need to go to the "Cooliris admin page" and not the PWG Stuffs administration page even if you have add the 3D module on PWG Stuffs plugin.

So in the Cooliris admin page, go on the last tab (named "Advanced 3Dwall config" i think) and choose the number of row.
I've put a screen copy of this page to help you.

For your last problem about time to load, i know that if you've got a huge number of photo to be displayed to the wall, it could be quite long to be loaded and displayed... Be patient!
I will add a new parameter in the future version of the plugin to choose the max number of photo to display (to increase performance for some customers).

Tiico

Last edited by tiico (2010-02-09 11:10:59)

#5 2010-02-10 23:24:50

quixote
2008-05-10

It's bizarre. In my install of Cooliris/Piclens, there is no fourth "Advanced Configuration" Tab.  There's just "PiclensWall Configuration" and then nothing.  My screen doesn't look anything like yours. o_O 

Okay.  So it finally occurred to me to check the version.  Mine is 0.3.4, and the most recent seems to be 0.4.2.  That may explain a thing or two.  I think I've gotten spoiled by Firefox automatic updates....

I'll come back with how things are working once I'm up to date. :S

#6 2010-02-10 23:53:50

quixote
2008-05-10

I upgraded, my screens now look like your screens, and I selected one row.  It doesn't work if I have PWGStuffs active.  When I deactivated it, it does work (Hallelujah! :D).  It also works with the "local swf" option active.

Now I just have to edit my template to put that block at the top instead of the bottom.  It'd be great if there was an option to do that right in the plugin.

I'll be waiting eagerly for the "limited number of photos" option in an update!

Thanks a million for your help!

#7 2010-02-11 00:29:08

quixote
2008-05-10

Turns out I have a new major problem: now the piclens 3D wall is only visible to the Admin user.  I could have sworn that I saw somewhere a set of checkboxes for which users could see the wall, and they were all checked before the upgrade.  Now I can't find that screen.  Update: I just found it: it's in PWGStuff, which I can't use if I want one row of thumbnails....    aaargh.  Is there some way to make the piclens wall visible to everyone without PWGStuff?

The other problem is that I cannot figure out which file to edit to manually set the piclens wall block above the main block.  Somewhere, I have to be able to specify where to put 'div class="content piclens"'.  I customized a bunch of stuff about a year ago, but it's been so long that I can't remember which files I edited.  default-layout.css?  local-layout.css?  Something else entirely?

Last edited by quixote (2010-02-11 00:35:13)

#8 2010-02-11 09:36:43

tiico
2007-05-29

Hi

I'm happy you found the solution. In  fact, if you use the pwg-stuffs plugin, the only possibility you have to activate the 3d wall is through the pwg-stuffs module. You can choose the users and group permission to show this module. You can also (even with pwg-stuffs), choose where you put the pwg-stuffs (upper the main blok, lower the main block... depending on which module you have activate).

I you haven't pwg-stuffs installed, the 3dwall is (by default) available for all users except guest (i think)...

For you rlast pb, i think you doesn't need to edit some file. Indeed, only with the pwg-stuffs configuration (to deplace the module block with you mouse), you can do the thing you want : place "3dwall module" upper or lower the main block.
Without pwg-stuffs, it's quite complicate. In this case, i think you need to edit one (or more) file or create a new template but i'm not very familiar with these types of modifications...

Tiico

•  » Extensions
  •  » Cooliris/piclens: one row of thumbs in wall & display only Recent ??

Board footer