Announcement

•  » Themes
  •  » Show all pictures from the Author

#1 2010-06-14 13:24:29

developer

Show all pictures from the Author

Hello,

Is there a way to make Author field a link in meta data? So that when people click on it, it will display all pictures posted by the author?

Thank you!

#2 2010-06-14 13:41:29

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Show all pictures from the Author

Hi "developer",

There is currently no "browse by author" feature. But you can search a specific author in the search page. Of course, it is not as user friendly as a click on the author name below a given photo.

You can use an alternative, add a tag "author:John" or "author:Sarah", then you will be able to see all photos from a given author.

If you want to tag all photos where author is "John", do the following:

1) go to Administration>Photos>Caddie
2) if the caddie is not currently empty, in the "Caddie management" check the "Empty caddie" option and click on the "Submit" button
3) go back to the gallery (click on the "Visit the gallery" link in administration header)
4) go to the search page
5) in the "Search for an author" field, enter "John" and then click on the "Submit" button
6) you are now on the thumbnails page, click on the "add to caddie" icon
7) go to Administration>Photos>Caddie
8) in the "add tags" field, type "author:John", press the "Enter" key to validate the new tag
9) select "all" as "target"
10) click on the "Submit" button

Job's done, you can virtually browse your gallery by author.

#3 2010-06-14 15:41:50

developer

plg, thank you for suggestion.

This hack sure would work, but it would be a bit confusing for the users, because I already have set of tags per image. With approach you offered it would look like this.

Tags: tag1, tag2, tag3, author

I thought you could suggest some programming code =)
To keep the author field the way it is, just improve the functionality to get

Tags: tag1, tag2, tag3
Author: Author (btw, with your method URL would show http://gallery/tags/author_name, cleaner and more structural is http://gallery/authors/author_name)

Is there a programming guru who can help? =)

#4 2010-06-19 12:06:50

developer
Honolulu, HI (United States)
2010-06-19

Can somebody create such functionality? If not for free may be for some fee, let me know how much it could cost. I really need it. Thank you!

400+ Magento Themes, each Magento template includes PSD file. See our gallery!

#5 2010-06-19 13:29:49

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

developer wrote:

Can somebody create such functionality? If not for free may be for some fee, let me know how much it could cost. I really need it. Thank you!

Do you need it in a short term (plugin for Piwigo 2.1) or for later (inside Piwigo 2.2)?

At technical level, this features requires a new "section" (this is the way we call "most viewed", a give category or a given tag). Adding a section is "quite easy" to code. what's more difficult is to convert the data model from images.author into a dedicated table authors{id, name} + images.author_id and then to modify existing code to select/insert/update the author in the new table instead of the old images.author field.

Optionnaly, we could need have an "authors" page (just like the "tags" page).

(I'm not saying yet that I'm going to code it, I just write the technical specifications without going too much into details)

#6 2010-06-19 20:52:26

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

plg wrote:

what's more difficult is to convert the data model from images.author into a dedicated table authors{id, name} + images.author_id and then to modify existing code to select/insert/update the author in the new table instead of the old images.author field.

Optionnaly, we could need have an "authors" page (just like the "tags" page).

(I'm not saying yet that I'm going to code it, I just write the technical specifications without going too much into details)

Convert is not difficult but "modify existing code to select/insert/update the author in new tables" has a heavy impact on API processes and Synchro process. An impact on coding and on performance.

@plg,
Why do not trying to collect authors and their related images by an asynchronous logic?
So we don't have impact on current processes.
Based on a check of recent images.date_update (new) or images.date_metadata_update (existing).

(I'm not saying yet that I'm going to code it as well).

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#7 2010-06-19 21:09:54

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

VDigital wrote:

@plg,
Why do not trying to collect authors and their related images by an asynchronous logic?

Because it's uselessly complicated. Think simple.

#8 2010-06-19 22:26:22

developer
2010-06-19

plg, yes I need it short term 2.1
Whats the advantages of more difficult solution? dedicated table? I mean as for performance it wouldn't affect it no matter which solution is used, am I right?

I am fine with easy solution as long as it works and less code is actually better for performance usually, if everything is managed within core functionality. Correct me if I am wrong =)

Thank you for suggestions. Let's make it happened =)

#9 2010-06-21 09:51:56

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

developer wrote:

Whats the advantages of more difficult solution? dedicated table? I mean as for performance it wouldn't affect it no matter which solution is used, am I right?

The dedicated table is only useful for performances and reliability.

What's possible to do in a short delay is an automatic to http://gallery/author/author_name and inside the code a : select from images where author = "author_name" (that's the concept).

#10 2010-06-21 10:30:10

developer
2010-06-19

Thank you plg!
If tags exception is possible [Forum, topic 16132] Tags exception
I can do url rewrite, the main thing is functionality in next few days =)

#11 2012-01-31 11:18:16

wernerk
2012-01-22

Hello,

what't the current state of the development?

My idea was to put a direct link on the author's name e.g. automatically in the description on the photo page or individually elsewhere, e.g. on the author's portfolio page, and to connect this link to the internal search engine - the same thing as if you would type in the name of the author on the search page. It would not be necessary to chance so much of the code because the search procedure already exists.

Greetings
Werner

•  » Themes
  •  » Show all pictures from the Author

Board footer