•  » show HD, improvements

#1 2011-06-27 13:50:01

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

show HD, improvements

Hi,

I think the "show high definition" feature deserves an improvement. Due to web upload, more and more galleries have HD photos (the web upload form creates the web size from the HD). The current (Piwigo 2.2) features is:

1) if the HD is available, Piwigo displays an ugly "Click on the picture to see it in high definition"
2) when you click on the photo, it opens a web browser popup with the raw photo inside (no HTML, just the photo)

In my opinion, no need to search very far to improve this feature. Grum has implemented a nicer feature on Gally themes (and Zaphod copied it on theme Stripped) :

1) if the HD is available, a zoom icon is displayed in the #imageToolBar
2) when you click on the web size or on the zoom icon, a lightbox shows the HD 1:1 (and you scroll up/down with the mouse)
3) when you click on a lightbox option, you can see the HD "fit to screen"

Test is on Gally Graphite or on Stripped

2 points that could be improved compared to Gally/Stripped implementaton :

* I would not implement by default is the "click on web size = open HD". Zaphod is preparing something very good for Stripped: see http://www.audreyetjulien.fr/test/pictu … 2/has_high ) with a transparent zoom icon that appears on the web size when cursor is hover it, but if we don't have any obvious information saying "if you click on the web size a 5MB file will be downloaded" then I prefer to only open the HD with the #imageToolBar icon.

* by default the click on the zoom icon open the HD 1:1, I think it's better to open it "fit to screen" by default, see [Forum, topic 17727] usability: lightbox picture size sequence

grum, do you see any technical problem for implementing it in core themes?

Considering we try to make Piwigo 2.2 themes automatically compatible with Piwigo 2.3, would that change break other themes?

#2 2011-06-27 14:35:18

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

Re: show HD, improvements

plg wrote:

* by default the click on the zoom icon open the HD 1:1, I think it's better to open it "fit to screen" by default, see [Forum, topic 17727] usability: lightbox picture size sequence

In fact, I think it's a config paramater in gally themes. You havec the choice between fit and zoom.
It should be a config option in stripped too, but it's not...

The "fit to screen" first and only then "HD 1:1" makes more sense.
(it's just not what I need but I use HD pictures in a very specific way (only for panoramic images))

For the "5mb" file, it really depends on the size of the HD picture... it's possible to have good quality hd pictures with a limited filesize.

#3 2011-06-27 14:39:37

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Zaphod wrote:

For the "5mb" file, it really depends on the size of the HD picture... it's possible to have good quality hd pictures with a limited filesize.

Please consider that most people don't prepare their photos before upload. In the old time with FTP+synchronization, people were preparing their photo. Now Piwigo welcomes "less advanced" users (this is partly why the web upload exists) and they just upload photos as taken from their camera. This is perfectly OK and yes, camera produces 5MB files nowadays.

Unfortunately, mobile devices or low internet connections just can't open 5MB files : opening the HD should not be involuntary.

#4 2011-06-27 14:43:27

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Zaphod wrote:

In fact, I think it's a config paramater in gally themes. You havec the choice between fit and zoom.

Yes, you're right. Then I think the default option should be "fit on screen".
Default zoom size
This option sets the display type used by default when a high definition image is loaded

[✔] Actual size (if image doesn't fit on the screen, it's possible to scroll horizontally and vertically)
[] The image is resized to be fully displayed on the screen

#5 2011-06-27 15:25:53

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

you were talking about fitting or not the hd first, but an user had a better idea used by many cms and gallery for "less advanced" users : having different size of the same image (see [Forum, post 122819 by nicksan in topic 17693] Piwigo thoughts after a few weeks...)
We can implement it with a php page for resizing by Get arguments (including a token), and a menu with links to some sizes (auto or/and set by the admin, and also to the original size)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#6 2011-06-27 15:29:49

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

you were talking about fitting or not the hd first, but an user had a better idea used by many cms and gallery for "less advanced" users : having different size of the same image (see [Forum, post 122819 by nicksan in topic 17693] Piwigo thoughts after a few weeks...)
We can implement it with a php page for resizing by Get arguments (including a token), and a menu with links to some sizes (auto or/and set by the admin, and also to the original size)

I consider the "multisize" feature as another subject. A far more complex subject actually. rvelices had told me he would like to work on it.

I agree that multisize would be great in the future, but in the nearer future, let's consider we just have thumbnail/websize/HD :-)

#7 2011-06-27 15:31:29

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

well you know I love science fiction ^^

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#8 2011-06-27 15:33:36

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

well you know I love science fiction ^^

No, it's not SciFi. Piwigo will implement this feature I hope. Maybe not for version 2.3 (depending on rvelices availability and problems he may encounter while implementing it) but maybe for 2.4 !

#9 2011-06-27 16:57:18

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

plg wrote:

This is perfectly OK and yes, camera produces 5MB files nowadays.
Unfortunately, mobile devices or low internet connections just can't open 5MB files : opening the HD should not be involuntary.

I think nobody wants to open 5 mb HD pictures in their browsers... even with ADSL.

In my opinion, if someone uploads directly 5 mb files... there should be a resize for HD picture (at least a compression) to avoid visitor to open such a large file.
And Piwigo can already do that...

Last edited by Zaphod (2011-06-27 16:59:11)

#10 2011-06-27 23:20:51

grum
Former Piwigo Team
Pantin
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

grum, do you see any technical problem for implementing it in core themes?

From a technical point of view, I don't see any problem to implement this kind of features in the core.
To implement something like this, you just have to use some javascript and apply few modifications on templates&css files.

The only problem are:
- with IE6, you have more chance to hang up, but I think we can consider that we don't have to do effort to provide a default template working with IE6 (even if this browser is always used in big compagnies like banks, Microsoft officialy recommand not to use anymore IE6 ; we can see other website's like Facebook or Google mail, in the same way, they don't support it anymore).
- for some themes based on default template but having specific .tpl files or javascript, it's not garanted that after upgrading the default theme they'll work again

After, I'm not sure to understand very what you're meaning by "do you see any technical problem for implementing it in core themes".
Are you thinking about an implementation of the Gally's JS in the core ?
As it, it's not possible because the Gally's JS file (in this case, the gallyjs-tpp.js file) provide functions for many Gally's features and depends of the Gally's config file.
But everything is coded in separate functions, so I think it'll be not very difficult to get and modify the Gally's JS for the default piwigo template  (zaphod did it for the stripped theme, based on the default piwigo template so it'll be probably easier to start from stripped's JS).

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ]

#11 2011-06-28 00:20:24

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

As I remember I had some difficulties with some plugins so, for now, in stripped theme, there is a test to see if some specific plugins are activated. (this is not very clean...)

So if this script is in the core, it's not possible to have these tests, and some plugins will have to be updated.
The difficult thing would be to have all this working with:
- the themes using the new scripts
- the themes having their own "picture.tpl" and "picture-content.tpl". (there are some useful "div" in picture.tpl)

There could also be a problem with some themes using a custom "picture.tpl" and the default "picture-content.tpl".

But maybe there is a way to have only a modified "picture-content.tpl".

Last edited by Zaphod (2011-06-28 00:21:20)

•  » Engine
  •  » show HD, improvements

Board footer