links on footer

Currently (Piwigo 2.2), we have the following links in gallery footer:

* Powered by Piwigo
* Contact Webmaster

Based on the idea of Zaphod on Stripped, I propose to add the following links :

* Login / Register
* [<a href="profile.php">username</a>] Logout
* Administration

With these links in the footer, it's easier for visitors to find the "Login" link on themes where menu is hidden by default or when the webmaster has hidden the Identification section in the menubar.

Any thougt about it?

#2 2011-06-27 15:42:55

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: links on footer

and if the admin has hidden the bloc menu for having no user ?
I prefer to have this kind of change not on default but on Sylvia/dark/clear or maybe on a new theme "vitrine" with js animation etc ...

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2011-06-27 15:58:45

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

and if the admin has hidden the bloc menu for having no user ?

If the webmaster has unchecked the option [Administration > Configuration > Options > Main > Allow user registration] then, we don't display the "Register" Link.

flop25 wrote:

I prefer to have this kind of change not on default but on Sylvia/dark/clear or maybe on a new theme "vitrine" with js animation etc ...

You mean to add a footer.tpl in Sylvia? + on dark? + on clear? I would rather suggest to add a footer.tpl on the few themes that do not wish to add an extra link in the footer.

The lost of the "login" link is a real problem in my opinion. When you have a gallery which is partly private, if you choose a theme where the login form or login link is not easy to find, or if the webmaster has hidden the Identification block in the menubar, there is just no way to get connected. You can't imagin how many times I had to help members of my family because they couldn't see all the photos! Adding just a link in the footer is a way to solve this problem and it's not taking much place on the page, don't you think?

PS: I don't see the relation with Javascript ;-)

#4 2011-06-27 16:16:43

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

I was just thinking about a gallery where the admin want absolutely no user : not just close the registration but also hide the identification. with this new way he must delete the code from tpl and add this as a TE (or in his custom theme)

-For me it's a small esthetic feature and this kind of featrues should not impact the other theme.
-the simple themes (les thèmes épurés) can see this as ugly to overload/make heavy the footer
-about my themes, I think this feature would be great, so I'm not talking for my interest at all : I think that the problem is only due to themes which hides the menu

ps : that's my opinion. Let's see the reaction of the other "styler"

Last edited by flop25 (2011-06-27 16:17:43)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#5 2011-06-27 16:26:17

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

We can add some CSS class/ids on these links to make them easier to display:none

We can also add a configuration setting to "display login/register/profile/administration links in footer", checked by default.

#6 2011-06-27 16:31:27

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Css is much better ! good point

#7 2011-06-27 17:07:14

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

I think this could be a problem for people who have lots of things on the index page.
(for example, several PWG stuffs blocks etc...)

In this case, you have to scroll down to see the footer.
And I think the login button should be visible without having to scroll down.

That's why in stripped the login is in the footer:
- the menu his hidden by default and the footer is visible
- the theme is dedicated to galleries where you don't have lots of things on your index page, so, no scroll down necessary.

Anyway... you only mentionned adding the link in the footer... not removing it from the menu.
So maybe my comments are pointless.

Last edited by Zaphod (2011-06-27 17:08:03)

•  » Engine
  •  » links on footer

Board footer