•  » [Piwigo Translation Tool] New feature, changing reference language

#1 2012-06-09 17:54:56

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

[Piwigo Translation Tool] New feature, changing reference language

Hi there,

we introduce today a nice feature for translators not very familiar with English : the possibility to change the displayed reference language

for example on this page Bulgarian is translated from Russian
http://piwigo.org/translate/edit.php?la … ;ref=ru_RU

Please note that not all languages are available for reference, only ones with more than 50% translated.
And most important : some strings may be missing (if not translated in the reference language), so don't forget to check what is available in English too :-)

Have a nice day!

Last edited by mistic100 (2012-06-09 17:55:40)

#2 2012-06-09 18:18:54

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: [Piwigo Translation Tool] New feature, changing reference language

yeah ! awesome job !!

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2012-09-24 19:43:54

Kaare
Translation Team
Odense, Denmark
2012-09-17

I have two feature requests:

When translating files it would be very helpful to be able to see the original file alongside (or above/below) the translation, similar to when translating strings, rather than having the original available in a pop-up window.

It would also be very useful, to be able to search amongst all of your translations, i.e. across all translatable items in a language (or at least amongst the non-file ones) and not only the one you have currently opened.  This is for situations when you decide to change the wording of something which is used in a lot of places.

Regards, Kaare

#4 2012-09-24 19:53:48

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

1) I know I must find a good way to do this

2) the major problem is that translations are not completly stored in the database, Lexiglot works with files before all, and it's inimaginable to load all files for a search

#5 2012-09-25 18:26:51

Kaare
Translation Team
Odense, Denmark
2012-09-17

mistic100 wrote:

2) the major problem is that translations are not completly stored in the database, Lexiglot works with files before all, and it's inimaginable to load all files for a search

Would it be possible to run an external grep on all translatable files for the search term and present a clickable list of the affected items?  In another list you could then present results from the items in the database.  It need not be anything fancy, as long as one can avoid semi-manually invoking the seach on each and every item.

Regards, Kaare

#6 2012-09-25 18:42:48

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

perhaps, but I work under Windows (I'll try this http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/grep.html, hopping the syntax in exactly the same)

but it's not a priority for me

I'm also thinking about store all file contents in the database, would be easy to do global search and such things, but it must be updated everytime a file is updated by SVN

#7 2012-10-01 22:34:34

Kaare
Translation Team
Odense, Denmark
2012-09-17

mistic100 wrote:

perhaps, but I work under Windows (I'll try this http://pages.interlog.com/~tcharron/grep.html, hopping the syntax in exactly the same)

but it's not a priority for me

I'm also thinking about store all file contents in the database, would be easy to do global search and such things, but it must be updated everytime a file is updated by SVN

Yes, not something easily done, but it would be very helpful in order to maintain a consistent translation.

Here's a hopefully easier wish:

While the progress bars in both colour and percentage indicate that there are new unstranslated strings/files, it can none the less be difficult to spot.  Would it be possible to add some kind of distinctive "there be new strings here" marker, e.g. by using a different border color around the object name and progress bar?  Or, as an alternative, objects not totally translated could be moved to the top of their respective sections, ordered by percentage (lowest first).  Perhaps a combination of both.

Regards, Kaare

•  » Translations
  •  » [Piwigo Translation Tool] New feature, changing reference language

Board footer