Announcement

#1 2012-07-11 18:56:52

elsatobias

[resolved] Create multiple size pictures outside Piwigo

Hello,

is it possible, that the smaller size versions of a picture can be created outside of Piwigo?

I wonder, if I am the only one who hosts a picture gallery on a small-sized NAS with small ARM-CPU. The on demand cache-creation is very slow. On first use after upgrade, I thought the database was corrupt, because I first saw just placeholders instead of my pictures.

With Piwigo <2.4 I used ploader for uploads. So the smaller sized versions were created on my more powerful Desktop-PC and it would be great, that with >=2.4 there would be a similar solution.

By the way: The shipped Sylvia-Theme, which I use, cannot use the multiple-size pictures, because the icon to switch the sizes is missing. Is this a bug?

Nevertheless Piwigo is a great project and I would like to thank the whole team and the other (plugin) supporters for their work.

Greetings
Tobi

#2 2012-07-11 19:01:15

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: [resolved] Create multiple size pictures outside Piwigo

personally I see the switch icon
http://www.strangeplanet.fr/piwigo/pict … eme=Sylvia

can you try to transfert the files of Sylvia again ? perhaps they are not up to date

#3 2012-07-11 19:19:03

elsatobias

Hi mistic,

yes I saw some Sylvia-theme galleries, with this icon working.

I just updated the whole themes folder, with the one from the 2.4.1 manual update zip. No change.
When I try the elegant-theme for example, there I can switch sizes.

Thanks for your help.

Tobi

#4 2012-07-11 19:33:41

elsatobias

Hello,

I give myself the solution for the missing icon.

It's not a problem of the Sylvia-theme, that the code for it is missing, but it seems I have to many icons in the upper right corner. I additionally use the RV maps&earth plugin, which adds two additional icons.

I deactivated it and now I can change the picture size.

So my new question is: Is it possible, that more icons can be displayed, so I can use maps&earth plugin and the multiple size pictures?

Sorry for my wrong "bug report".

Tobi

#5 2012-07-11 19:45:51

elsatobias
2012-07-11

Sorry,

blame on me...

When I now reactivated maps&earth plugin, the multiple size icons stay right there and I now have all icons...

So this problem is solved for me (although I find it a bit strange that I have to de-/activate plugins to get it work).

So I only have the problem, that my little NAS is working for three evenings now to get all sizes for 212 pictures (and it seems it needs one more...).

Sorry again for my incorrect "bug".

Greetings
Tobi

#6 2012-07-11 20:00:16

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

212 pictures... in 3 evenings, weird !

well a solution is to do a copy of the gallery on your computer, generate sizes, and copy them back to your NAS (files are in "_data\i")

you could try with ten pictures, I'm not sure the cache system will accept that

#7 2012-07-11 20:16:02

elsatobias
2012-07-11

Hi mistic,

yes 212 pictures in all sizes is means 1484 preview pictures. I still have 390 pictures left and my QNAP TS-119p+ does nothing else than to power 100% for Piwigo.

I'm wondering that, when it came to a descision to implement Piwigo as it is right now, that the small servers like mine were "forgotten". So that's why it would be great to upgrade ploader.

Regarding your solution, you mean I should copy whole Piwigo folder on my desktop PC and use the Batchworker locally?

Then I have to setup a small webserver on my PC?

Thanks a lot
Tobi

#8 2012-07-11 21:15:34

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

that's right, for Windows there is WAMP, and LAMP for *nix

#9 2012-07-12 23:58:51

Billr
Piwigo Team, forum moderator
2011-06-22

Just out of curiosity - instead of setting up Piwigo on the PC - wouldn't it be possible to just copy sets of photos multiple times in sub-directories that mimic the multiple sizes, then use a photo managing application like Digikam to change all the photos in each directory - one directory at a time - to that directory's photo size?

I run my own server for family photos and am still using Piwigo 2.2.5.  I create my thumbnails, websize and pwg_high photos from the original and put them in their appropriate directories in ./galleries.   To do this, in Digikam, I select all the photos in a directory - for example 'thumbnails' - then use the resize command to size all the photos to maximum of 128 pixels.

#10 2012-07-13 00:10:42

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

you are right too :)

just make sure the files you generate have a creation date after the original file, and you respect the names prefixes

-th
-me
-la
etc...

perhaps I will update PHP Optmisateur in this way (btw PHP Opt needs a local web server too)

#11 2012-07-13 00:47:17

Billr
2011-06-22

Oh yes - the modifications to the file names.  I found it easy to do that at the linux console with:

rename 's,^,TN-,' *.jpg

in the directory for the thumbnails.

Of course, that is with the old "TN-" prefix for thumbnails.  I'm not sure I understand the new prefixes - aren't they suffixes?

#12 2012-07-13 01:05:58

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

sorry, yes, suffixes...

in order :
sq
th
2s
xs
sm
me
la
xl
xx

#13 2012-07-13 07:11:22

Billr
2011-06-22

Thanks!  :-)

Then that's equally as easy to rename:

rename 's,.jpg,-sq.jpg,' *.jpg
for first one

rename 's,.jpg,-th.jpg,' *.jpg
for second

etc.

#14 2012-07-13 11:48:29

elsatobias
2012-07-11

Hi all,

thanks for yours answers.

With Piwigo >2.4 I used ploader, because it was a great all-in-one solution.

Select pictures, select tags, press run and go get some coffee. When it finished (after a short while) all the work was done and the album was ready to use.

So with Piwigo 2.4 I have to do it manually.
The best way seems to be. Upload with ploader as it was before. Open the picture selection in a photo software. Resize and Rename pictures and save them in a defined folder structure and upload this folder structure to the Piwigo folder.

When I find a photo software which can do this task in a batch, I am comfortable with this solution.

But with ploader, it was a bit nicer...

Thanks again to all
Tobi

Last edited by elsatobias (2012-07-13 11:49:15)

#15 2012-07-25 17:03:07

JimHu

I'm with elsatobias. I have a Buffalo Linkstation LS-VL. The ARM CPU (kirkwood, 1.6G) is not power enough to generate different sizes of pictures on the fly. I have thousands of picture in my gallery, so it will take a really long time for IM to finish its job.

I'm now stick to 2.3.5, since ploader will generate those images for me. I think it will be great to have an updated ploader.

But thanks anyway, great projects. Greeting from China!

Board footer