Announcement

#1 2012-09-22 13:30:44

Ktrenal
2012-09-22

Don't want my files renamed when uploading

Hi,

I absolutely cannot find the setting to change this, so I thought I'd ask. At the moment, when I upload files, they all get renamed to a bundle of letters and numbers, which for what I need my gallery for, is actually really inconvenient.

I'm using it to host my artwork, which I frequently post on forums around the internet, and so in addition to having my artwork visible in the gallery, I want to be able to use a simple URL for specific images. 20120922122705-fa1cf451.png is definitely not a simple file name. The original was named ekhora.png for a reason.

I appreciate that the renaming of files on upload is a security measure to help protect confidential data, but... I'm not having any of that in my public gallery.

My Piwigo version is 2.4.3, running in the following environment:
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 5.2.17
mySQL: 5.1.63-cll
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.7.1-7

Piwigo was newly installed about an hour ago. Haven't made any changes, added any extensions.

Hopefully someone can help me get it working as I want it. Thanks in advance. :)

Ktrenal

#2 2012-09-22 13:39:44

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Don't want my files renamed when uploading

hello,

this... can't be changed, easily I mean, because it's also a security for files with the same name, and don't use random names asks to write some conflict tests

actually I don't really understand the problem, will you remember all filenames ? knowing that they are stored in year/month/day sub-folders ? personnally when a post a photo of mines on a forum I go to the picture page and right-click=>copy image url

you should also know that the download button on picture.php renames the file on-the-fly with the original name

btw if you can't handle this rename process you can still use physical albums :
- manually upload your files into [i]galleries[i] folders through FTP
- click on "Quick Local Sync" on admin home page

#3 2012-09-22 13:47:56

Ktrenal
2012-09-22

I actually do tend to remember all file names. A lot of it is character art, you see - when I want to post artwork of a character, I know that the file name is going to be the character's name. While I could just go to the gallery, find the image, right click and copy the URL... I don't like doing that, and I don't really like the random looking file names - one of the reasons I installed a gallery is because Photobucket just implemented the feature with no option to opt out!

I'm having a go at the Quick Local Sync, but it doesn't seem to want to pick up the files I just FTP'd into the galleries folder?

#4 2012-09-22 13:56:41

Ktrenal
2012-09-22

Ah, I just figured it out. It's working now. And I have nice tidy URL's.

Thanks for the help. All my files shall be FTP'd in future.

#5 2012-09-23 21:39:13

Joe

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with photobucket, where it's adding a bunch of random characters to my file name. How did you fix it?

Thanks!

#6 2012-09-23 23:24:54

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Ktrenal wrote:

Ah, I just figured it out. It's working now. And I have nice tidy URL's.

Thanks for the help. All my files shall be FTP'd in future.

+1
But I agree.I was also very disappointed by that renaming not configurable.

@joe here is about Piwigo only

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

Board footer