Announcement

#1 2013-01-18 04:02:55

pewe
2012-03-16

Protecting Photos and Charging for downloads.

In the past I have seen various forum users ask about
- Protecting photos
or
- Using Piwigo for selling Photos
or
- Both.

If anyone has found solutions to either one or both of these needs I'd be interested to hear how, but if you would be interested in this but not yet found a solution, read on.

As a project to protect the original photos and also make them available commercially I have implemented a system on my server which
- only displays the 'small sizes' of the 'original' photographs (and these could be watermarked)
- protects the original photographs from access on the server
- allows the visitors to buy whatever combination of original photographs they want using Paypal
- allows me to package the bought photos on the server into a zip file for the purchaser to download from a secure directory on the server.

Anyone interested in finding out more can first experiment by viewing the small size of the photos in the gallery here

http://remotetutorials.com/photos/

There are 2 Albums with one photo in each.

The photo in the Album 'Locked' was uploaded to the Album in the 'normal' way using the Admin 'Add Photo' facility, and as such the original photo resides in the normal place in the directory structure on the server.
See if you can download it!

The photo in the Album 'Locked2' was uploaded by ftp to a directory on the server outside of the normal directory structure, then added using the 'Synchronise' facility.
See if you can find it and then download it.

As you will see, there is a Paypal order facility which appears below the each photo when they are viewed. For the demo you can add the photos to a Paypal Cart to see how it works - but don't 'check out' - unless of course you want to gift me £5 per photo ;)

If anyone is interested in seeing how I then allow access to download the original photos after payment, drop me a PM and I will respond with details of the procedure.

(NOTE FOR MODERATORS - if this is in the wrong forum, can you please move it - thanks.)

#2 2013-02-18 23:42:08

tkiwov
2013-02-18

Re: Protecting Photos and Charging for downloads.

Yes.  I would like to learn how this can be done.  Thank you for sharing the information.
May I ask about the hosting environment?  Thank you very much.

Tkiwov

#3 2013-02-18 23:53:13

pewe
2012-03-16

I am working on a series of pages (tutorial) explaining the different ways that Albums are created and how photos are stored in Piwigo, along with details of different ways of protecting the photos.

I will post a link as soon as its done - so please bear with me.

NOTE - I removed the protection on the gallery linked above as it will be re-done in line with the tutorial.

If anyone is interested in being notified when its available, just reply to this post with the words 'Notify me' and subscribe for new posts.

#4 2013-02-18 23:54:17

pewe
2012-03-16

tkiwov wrote:

May I ask about the hosting environment?

Tkiwov

What would you like to know in particular.

#5 2013-02-19 04:52:04

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Notify me please.

#6 2013-02-19 14:00:27

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello all
Thx pewe for sharing your method
In piwigo 2.5, the original pictures can be protected (just a config var to set) to direct access. Then you just need to put a .htaccess with Deny from All
I will create a doc for that

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#7 2013-02-20 17:42:51

EdwinKort
Translation Team
Rhoon, the Netherlands
1970-01-01

pewe wrote:

Notify me please :)

My Gallery
Hosted with: Surpass Hosting since 2004

#8 2013-02-20 17:44:12

EdwinKort
Translation Team
Rhoon, the Netherlands
1970-01-01

This is part of what I was looking for. Still with this setup you have to print everything your self. It would be nice if this could be working with some sort of printing service.

My Gallery
Hosted with: Surpass Hosting since 2004

#9 2013-02-23 00:26:33

Darryl
2010-04-27

I'd like to know this as well.

Thanks.

Darryl

#10 2013-02-26 18:28:52

pewe
2012-03-16

I have started this project -

see here
http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p … 97#p140397

Board footer