Announcement

#1 2013-04-14 05:56:38

fenster
2013-04-14

Picasa/Google Web Albums Uploads Dont Work

I am having a heck of a time here. Before I commited to Piwig, I tested it on Piwig's servers using the picasatopiwig uploader. It worked great. I installed Piwig on my own webserver (Hosted by Turnkey) and I cannot get it to work. I get 500 internal server error. So instead, I tried to use the google2piwig uploader to pull all my photos from the online webserver. That fails out every time too. I dont understand why it is failing. Piwig was installed via CPanel on my Turnkey webserver and appears to be working fine except when trying to upload via a 3rd party. I can upload directly within the browser, but I do receiver the php.ini error.

Any thoughts on what is causing this issue?

Thank you

#2 2013-04-14 12:03:20

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Picasa/Google Web Albums Uploads Dont Work

Hello
"receiver the php.ini error." What's the error ?

Seems like server side limitations. You can try to debug with the server log or go find a better host

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-04-14 13:42:56

fenster
2013-04-14

In your php.ini file, the upload_max_filesize (75MB) is bigger than post_max_size (8MB), you should change this settings

I can upload properly though via the web interface.

#4 2013-04-14 13:48:57

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

first you should absolutely correct this error

what is the error returned by Google2Piwigo ? just "ERROR" in the black popup on the right ?

#5 2013-04-14 13:56:12

fenster
2013-04-14

I would fix the problem but I am on a shared server and the technician I spoke to said he cant fix the issue unless he gets approval from an engineer. The error I get is The Black window saying "Error: an error occured". It creates the album, but cant transfer the images.

#6 2013-04-14 13:58:33

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Okay another super great hoster

You could use the FTP + synchronization method

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#7 2013-04-14 14:07:21

fenster
2013-04-14

Thanks for the help Flop. It is strange because it is their cpanel installation that allows me to install Piwig. I dont understand why it cant work. I read about installing my own php.ini file in the piwig directory to try and overwrite that core .ini file but it doesnt appear to work. Although is there a way to determine if that is exactly what is causing the issue?

Also, they are not willing to up the max sizes, is there any harm dropping them to 7 and 8mb to avoid the error? Does that just prevent me from uploading an image larger than 7mb?

I cant really switch hosts as I just paid for 3 years of this service.

my whole purpose is to use Googles picasa (thats where I do all my management/editing, and upload to piwig. With the FTP upload, it is very convoluted and requires a template before uploading. It also strangely requires to output a copy of the folder to my hard drive too.

I would like to come up with a solution that allows me to upload directly from picasa.

#8 2013-04-14 14:25:35

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hi
First that's Piwigo not piwig ;-)
Then reupload all the Piwigo files using the ftp and overwriting
About the PHP configuration, you can overwrite the initial server config but that depends if the hoster allows it.
My major advice: never ever sign for more than one month for a hosting (shared or not ) you never fully tested before. That's even more problematic with shared hoster where there is many hidden limitations

And your workflow using google image is quite surprising: very complicated (you need to upload to google then to Piwigo ), not so reliable when you know the volatility  of Google services and its lack of communication

#9 2013-04-14 14:46:38

fenster
2013-04-14

Sorry for the typo on the name. Good point about hosting. It was something I was able to get a deal on during the holidays.

I really dont want to use that workflow going through picasa web albums. I really want to get it working directly from Picasa. KenL has created a picasa2piwigo plugin that should allow me to upload directly from picasa. That isnt working either.

Is there a way to view a log to see what is causing the error? I do not get any information from the errors produced by google2piwigo and picasa2piwigo.

Thanks for helping me through this.

Board footer