Announcement

#16 2013-06-19 18:50:25

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: How does one use it?

sorry I misread! (too hot there, my brain is being cooked)
Yes you have to create a database in mysql! that's the basics of any php apps

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#17 2013-06-19 19:18:42

jpff
2013-06-19

flop25 wrote:

Yes you have to create a database in mysql! that's the basics of any php apps

I note the script does to say that or indicate that.  So obvious question; how?

I have no background in databases -- I usually write audio software and compilers, not pictures and the web

#18 2013-06-19 19:26:49

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Ok Let me sum up You are using a dedicated web server but don't have any idea on how it works and how to deal with it?

And did you post on mysql forums on how to use Piwigo? Because you probably get rid faster of your issues by searching first on the web

I note the script does to say that or indicate that

that's because people who don't know what they do, use shared hoster where everything is already set up, and people with their own server do know what they do or -like me- search on the web

I don't want to make you angry, but you're going a bit too far in our kindness to help you voluntarily...

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#19 2013-06-19 19:43:35

jpff
2013-06-19

flop25 wrote:

Ok Let me sum up You are using a dedicated web server but don't have any idea on how it works and how to deal with it?

That is not the case.  I run a dedicated web server or two and yes I do know something about it.  I write cgi scripts and html files.  Even did secure ordering of software on both networks.

flop25 wrote:

And did you post on mysql forums on how to use Piwigo? Because you probably get rid faster of your issues by searching first on the web

I was trying to find something to replace flickr for my wife and piwigo looked like the best option to my home-grown emacs/html system.  It was not clear anything about databases on your pages and I assumed that it would create its own database -- my distributed software creates necessary files and directories.  I had not though to find a mysql forum as I did not know it was necessary.  I was following the instructions -- including

Need help? Ask your question on the Piwigo message board.

I am searching the net without finding any answers.

that's because people who don't know what they do, use shared hoster where everything is already set up, and people with their own server do know what they do or -like me- search on the web.

I still think software installation instructions should say what to do.   It was your text that led me to install the Debian package which seems to be a dead-end.  So I search the web without information and a dedicated forum seems the correct place to seek enlightement

flop25 wrote:

I don't want to make you angry, but you're going a bit too far in our kindness to help you voluntarily...

Rather than angry I am sad that help is not available, the way for example I help my open source community.  I have been polite and described the problems but the answers have been cryptic at the least.

At least remove the Debian package line!

Sorry for wasting your time

#20 2013-06-19 19:59:40

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Should we also mention the root user without password is unsafe ? or the fact that the mysql user you will use for Piwigo needs to have permissions? etc

Note that discussion could have been on any php scripts including Wordpress
If you want to contribute on the wiki to avoid this kind of questions, tell us, I can create you an account

ps: Ho and I forgot: Should we say that a mysql user will be used and needs to be created if they are none?

#21 2013-06-19 20:15:21

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

You should keep in mind that this software (as many other PHP softwares, Wordpress, PHPbb, Dokuwiki) is designed to run on shared host, which is 90% of the usage

on these hosts (most), you CAN'T create databases and you CAN'T create users
all is already preconfigured, so yes, it's a kind of assumption for advanced users that you need to create them

I recently had a very bad experience with OwnCloud which try to create a database and a user on MySQL, don't need to say that it doesn't work at all on my website

#22 2013-06-19 20:23:22

pewe
2012-03-16

Rather than angry I am sad that help is not available, the way for example I help my open source community.  I have been polite and described the problems but the answers have been cryptic at the least.

I do not think the answers are cryptic, but may seem a little blunt unless you make allowances for the fact that the developers are being helpful and accommodating by trying to answer in a language that is not their native tongue.

This fact has to also be taken in to account when posting questions on the forum. The English language is very 'cryptic' in the way that it allows the same word(s) and phrases to be used to mean more than one thing.

I must confess (not being a coding or software guru) that I was a bit confused by some of the points made in your original posts and did initially get the impression (wrongly as a result of a lack of detail) that you were 'experimenting' with setting up a web server with little knowledge.
For example a comment like

In particular I do not understand the question
Database name         also supplied by your hosting provider

I am the host.  What name do I enter?  I have tried a number of answers but I just get a blank screen, and no progress.

does give the impression that you were clueless with regard to setting up/using databases, something which is a basic and fundamental requirement of anyone setting up a web server.

The developers here are extremely helpful and do put in a lot of time to assist users with problems regarding Piwigo installation and use, but cannot be expected to go beyond that.

For example, if you had posted an intial question such as
'I am considering setting up a web server so that I can install Piwigo for my wife to use. Is there a page containing information regarding the basic requirements I must have in place to undertake an easy and successful installation'

A quick and helpful  reply may have taken the form of

' On your web server make sure you have the items listed on this page installed
http://piwigo.org/basics/requirements

Setup a database for Piwigo and make sure you have a note of the database name, username and password

Download the package from here follow the instruction shown
http://piwigo.org/basics/installation_manual'

You would then have been ready to go, or ask any questions about points which were not clear.

#23 2013-06-19 20:54:32

jpff
2013-06-19

In particular I do not understand the question
Database name         also supplied by your hosting provider

I am the host.  What name do I enter?  I have tried a number of answers but I just get a blank screen, and no progress.

does give the impression that you were clueless with regard to setting up/using databases, something which is a basic and fundamental requirement of anyone setting up a web server.

I really disagree.  I was using an existing web site, and data bases are not fundamental to them.  Yes I am fairly clueless about setting up a database (just one set up in sqlite3 and one automatically creared by the software alo in sqlite3)-- that is what I thought the system would do.

The developers here are extremely helpful and do put in a lot of time to assist users with problems regarding Piwigo installation and use, but cannot be expected to go beyond that.

which is what I was asking.

For example, if you had posted an intial question such as
'I am considering setting up a web server so that I can install Piwigo for my wife to use. Is there a page containing information regarding the basic requirements I must have in place to undertake an easy and successful installation'

but that would not have been true.  I was adding to an existing web server running for about a decade, and I followed the instruction that Debian users could install the package.  When that failed I sought advice

A quick and helpful  reply may have taken the form of

' On your web server make sure you have the items listed on this page installed
http://piwigo.org/basics/requirements

Setup a database for Piwigo and make sure you have a note of the database name, username and password

Download the package from here follow the instruction shown
http://piwigo.org/basics/installation_manual'

You would then have been ready to go, or ask any questions about points which were not clear.

Yes that would have been useful, as would it if I could find an installation manual; I looked and failed, as I failed to find an FAQ.

It is now the end of a very frustrating day  (not just this) and I need to give up for the night.

#24 2013-06-19 21:13:17

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I have found a recent tutorial for Piwigo on Debian with Nginx http://www.howtoforge.com/install-piwig … ian-wheezy

And also a tutorial (in French) http://howto.biapy.com/fr/debian-gnu-li … sur-debian

I agree, the Debian package is a dead end currently. It is not available on latest version of Debian. I will remove it from the installation page, sorry for having kept it.

Board footer