Announcement

#1 2013-09-15 19:49:52

Peter de Bruin

Description of foto

I have a collection of airplane pictures which I would like to put in an album. But with every picure I need to have besides a name also a description. For instance I have an album fixed wing airplanes. Then the Manufacturer is Boeing with a certain type like model 737 with a itemmized description of the airplane like range and Engines : P&W.  Trust you understand as this is valid for any item in a collection like stamps or coins.

So eventually I would like to have a fixed page under or besides the picture that takes the unique info from the database to display the full information of the given picture.

I have tried the Ploader but don't get the description part to work. Maybe is there already a solution for collections made as a plugin? Thanks Peter

#2 2013-09-15 19:56:31

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Description of foto

hello

Piwigo reads the metadata of pictures to get the fields of Piwigo filled like the title and the description: so you can fill the metadata before upload
But you can also filled the description and other informations to any pictures, in your Piwigo, on the Batch manager in Unit mode, or in the edition page of any pictures
Moreover I recommend you to use the web upload as Ploader is no more maintained

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-09-15 19:57:41

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

hello

I don't exactly understand what you want, try to reformulate simplier (we actually don't care witch info you want to display :-) )

if you go to the page of a picture (public part) and click on the edit icon (one of the buttons on top-right) you access the admin page of the photo and can enter a description

this can also be done in Admin->Photos->Batch Manager->Unit mode (after choosing some filters in Global mode)

#4 2013-09-16 11:54:34

Peter de Bruin

Appreciate very much your answers and quick respons.  Besides the suggestions you gave, I have also tried to use the extended Descriptions module. However I don’t see any extra fields, maybe because I lack the knowledge how to use extended descriptions.

Anyway have tried the Batch manager and am able to manipulate the labels and so on but that’s besides the point of my question.

Maybe the following drawing helps  of the gallery page I want to create:

| ===========================  |
|  Piwigo gallery : Album Boeing               |
|                                                               |
|   Pic 1        Pic  N-1        Pic N         |
| -----------------------------------------------   |
|  General Description :                            |
|  Type :  1                                               |
|  Manufacturer : 3                                   |
|                                        / STORE info/   |
=============================

So, I would like to extend the Gallery with a standard sheet  under the pictures of an Album.  Here pictured in a seperate square under picture 1 to N as in General description – This area, I want to fill with the ‘ Detailed data “ of the specific items as  Type is : 1 .  In turn all data : 1, 2 and 3 to be stored in the database.  Kind of Blog function about the Album Boeing.  The first time it is empty the second time filled with data 1,2 and 3 This can then be modified over time.

Question where can I hook my Description sheet into the Gallery of Piwigo of for instance the Album of Boeing in order to capture and store.  Don’t worry about the HTML ea to be writen.

Thanks

#5 2013-09-16 12:44:50

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

to get the help for extended Description, click on the (?) near the Description field on the Edition page of any picture

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#6 2013-09-16 14:32:25

Peter de Bruin

Found that part, in the extended descriptions - thanks for that !  And if I would like to use that tag <!-- complete -- > command where should I put it or activate that function?

In the mean time I have tried to change the local files editor Main.inc php with some HTML but does not allow it.  I was thinking of making a area below the album pictures with my own in and output related to that particular album =

Sorry for all the inconveniance but would like to make use of this excelent product as the backbone of my desires to created a foto coleection with descriptions.

Maenwhile I have made another site www.lamantijn.nl in which I incorporated your gallery under foto-album.  Trust you understand why I like it so much.. cheers Peter

#7 2013-09-16 15:51:53

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

<!-- complete -- > are for descriptions, like the name "Extended Description" refers to

In the mean time I have tried to change the local files editor Main.inc php with some HTML but does not allow it

o_O?
You created a personnal plugin and put html in a php file?
Did you ever read our Doc about Themes and basic tutorials on what is html/css/php? You real should do

#8 2013-09-17 12:18:38

Peter de Bruin

I did not create anything - just did some experiments to find how the package works.  The documentation is, to be honest not very clear unless you are part of the development team maybe.
Alos the descriptions of the plug-inns are minimal - only trial and error gives a clue. I believe lots of room for improvement if you would like to expand rapidly your business. But besides my question just an observation. On the other hand the quick response in this forum is very stimulating.

Now I found with PHPadmin in the database that you are able to store comments on the album besides on the pictures seperatly. However very odd is the fact that all linefeeds are gone when this album text is displayed on top of the album.  Could it be possible to move this field to the bottom away from the album as is with comments. ( a switch - do you want comments on to or below the album )  Maybe this could then be a nice field for a description form.

Thanks

#9 2013-09-17 13:43:40

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Forgive me asking a simple question:  what Theme are you using?
Each theme has differing layouts. 
For example I use the Stripped Theme which has Descriptions beside or below the Thumbnails, depending on the number of Album Thumbnails per row.

You may then be able to achieve what you want especially with judicious use of <br> characters...

Last edited by Tadjio (2013-09-17 13:46:27)

Tadjio

#10 2013-09-17 13:43:56

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Peter de Bruin wrote:

Now I found with PHPadmin in the database that you are able to store comments on the album besides on the pictures seperatly.

Comments? No. Description yes
Only a plugin allows comments on albums

Peter de Bruin wrote:

However very odd is the fact that all linefeeds are gone when this album text is displayed on top of the album.  Could it be possible to move this field to the bottom away from the album as is with comments. ( a switch - do you want comments on to or below the album )  Maybe this could then be a nice field for a description form.

I don't understand

The description place depends on the theme, and Extended Description has tag to allow you to put a description above thumbnails and/or at the bottom also

#11 2013-09-17 14:35:51

Peter de Bruin

Could I send a screen capture picture of the situation to you ?

Maybe it explains it better as I am confused about the terminology used in the conversation. 

But let me try ones more. When I open an album - it is possible to put a description of that album under properties.  When I enter tekst with line feeds, it becomes a long list of tekst when viewing the album as a user.  Also it is placed on top of the album when you selct that particular one. Otherwise the tekst reviels left of the pictire belonging to the albume but also without line feeds. .

Question : how do I use <!-- complete -- > for long descriptions or where to place this tag?

For your information I use the elegant thema, advanced Menu manager and LocalFiles Editor plus the Extended Descriptions but do not see any differences or functions.

Trust this helps a bit more to clarify the situation on my end.

#12 2013-09-17 15:09:10

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

register of the forum and attach capture

#13 2013-09-17 15:15:01

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

It would be interesting to see a screen capture when you have registered.
As you use Elegant Theme, I have just viewed one of my albums using it, where I have multi-line descriptions separated by <br> which appear alongside the Album Thumbnails and above the Photo Thumbnails.
I use Span Class statements with formatting in the LocalFiles Editor to insert fixed text.
I don't use the Extended Descriptions plug-in.
If you like, I can post an example.

Tadjio

#14 2013-09-17 16:56:17

Peter de Bruin
Netherlands
2013-09-17

Would like to see your solution very much Tadjio - thanks for reponding.  Meanwhile I have registered and will send 3 pictures of the current situation.  Also I have placed manually tekst in the SQL database with line feeds to see what happens - This results also in one long list instead of a representation of the tekst in the DMB.  I am using WAMP on windows-7.   

Trust this helps - awaiting a response on my question about the extended description plug-in where to place the tags like  <  -- up - down -- > or long and short descriptions.

Last edited by Peter de Bruin (2013-09-17 16:59:05)

#15 2013-09-17 17:01:36

Peter de Bruin
Netherlands
2013-09-17

refused to upload picture number 3
So another trial --

Board footer