Announcement

#1 2013-09-20 19:16:19

faqvideo
2012-01-21

S&C - Administration - pLoader - image size streamlining

Hello all,

This question must be for flop25 and the plg and Ron, and for the Piwigo team I assume.

I will start with the S&C. I understand that some sizes are configured at the Stripped level. Still - in the Configuration page we have 9 sizes altogether:
- Square
- Thumbnail
- XXS
- XS
- S - small
- M - mediuam
- L - large
- XL
- XXL

I set my S&C so it plays XL images for the unregistered guests, and it works for me. I do also have SmartPocket set as a mobile theme and assume some sizes are being used by the portable browsers.

So here is my question at this point so far: what sizes are essential to the S&C operation on the visitor side besides the XL that I set manually? What sizes are essential for the SmartPocket operation again on the visitor side?

I also noticed that changing the Thumbnail size in Configuration changes the thumb size on the Administration side. Is this the only place I should be worried about this particular image size? What about the S&C thumbnails? How are these getting generated? They don't seem to depend on any size in the Configuration panel.

And finally to the pLoader. There are three sizes I need to set there. The first is Thumbnail (again!), and I believe it somehow affects the thumbnails in the Stripped theme that I used to use. Then there is Web Sized option. Does it generate one of the image sizes set in the Admin Configuration panel? Do I have to worry about it? For the High Definition I use the Original Size setting.

I am just trying to see how all the pieces get to work together and if there is optimal workflow for me - that is uploading with the pLoader, working with images on Admin side and offering XL size for the S&C/desktop visitors and some unknown to me size(s) for the SmartPocket/mobile visitors?

This is rather long question, but I believe it is worth looking into for it may help to streamline the workflow for the ones using S&C and SmartPocket.

Thank you all very much!

#2 2013-09-26 17:29:53

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: S&C - Administration - pLoader - image size streamlining

Hi faqvideo,

Sorry for this late reply.

faqvideo wrote:

I will start with the S&C

flop25 is the author of this theme, I notify him about your questions.

faqvideo wrote:

And finally to the pLoader. There are three sizes I need to set there. The first is Thumbnail (again!), and I believe it somehow affects the thumbnails in the Stripped theme that I used to use. Then there is Web Sized option. Does it generate one of the image sizes set in the Admin Configuration panel? Do I have to worry about it? For the High Definition I use the Original Size setting.

pLoader was designed "a long time" ago, in 2008, when multiple size was not implemented. Piwigo only had 2 sizes in addition to the High Definition (ie Original) = thumbnail + web size. On Piwigo 2.4+ we have the equivalent of 9 web sizes.

pLoader is still working fine but is no longer maintained. I have modified Piwigo so that it only keep the biggest size sent by pLoader (or any other remote software) and use it as "original". The thumbnail sent by pLoader is always deleted. If you send the high definition Piwigo also deletes the "web size" sent by pLoader.

Does it make things clearer?

#3 2013-09-29 15:23:16

faqvideo
2012-01-21

Thank you, it does make sense. I guess I don't need to worry about the pLoader sizes at this point.

I still do have a question to flop25 in regards to the thumbnails. Do they somehow relate to one of the set sizes, or are they being generated out of one of the sizes? What would be the best workflow for using the theme?

And since we are here - one more plea for flop25. May be, just may be, you may re-consider adding few more fonts and font sizes to the theme, some time in the future? Please?

On a serious note - thank you guys for a great project done. Merci beaucoup!

#4 2013-09-29 17:24:22

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Hello
have you seen the config page of the theme?
About fonts and other customizations, our Doc explains how to do them, and the whole web contains tons of tutorials, that's enough

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2013-09-29 17:58:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 means that Piwigo can be fully customized with CSS (use plugin LocalFiles Editor). This is why Piwigo currently has no "font selector" or this kind of user interface on administration side.

#6 2013-09-29 18:01:49

faqvideo
2012-01-21

Thank you flop25. It's always nice to hear back from you.

Yes, I have even re-configured the theme a little bit:

- changed the non-grey colour to 999999;
- set column width to 300 px;
- set thumbnail width to 290 px;
- changed big thumbnail box to 0, and so on.

So it looks nicely, at least to my taste now (http://ottawastockimages.com/).

My question though was - how do the theme thumbnails are being generated? Does the theme use the original size images to produce the thumbnails, or is it some other size that I should worry about? The reason I am asking is that I would probably like to switch some sizes right off, but without jeopardizing other parts of the site, neither on the front end, nor on the back end. Thus was my question.

As for the fonts - well, I will have to learn something new. I will let you know how it goes.

Have a good Sunday.

#7 2013-09-29 18:06:34

faqvideo
2012-01-21

plg wrote:

flop25 means that Piwigo can be fully customized with CSS (use plugin LocalFiles Editor). This is why Piwigo currently has no "font selector" or this kind of user interface on administration side.

Thank you Pierrick. I will give it another try. Last time I tried to make changes through the LocalFiles Editor my entire site crashed. I had to re-install everything from zero. So I am like that "chat échaudé craint l'eau froide".

I guess the only way to test is to give it another try.

#8 2013-09-29 18:40:17

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

If you only use LocalFiles Editor for CSS edition, you can't crash your site.

#9 2013-09-29 18:43:18

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

The theme calls the Pwiigo core functions so it resizes from the orginal Don't worry ^^

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#10 2013-09-29 18:46:56

faqvideo
2012-01-21

Thank you all!

Board footer