plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

mysqli prepared statements

Greetings,

In another topic [Forum, topic 23709] PHP: a fractal of bad design

mistic wrote:

Just a word about Piwigo: I would like at least to migrate all our database access to MySQLi and it's prepared statement and queries parameterizers, this would allow to remove much headaches with mysql_real_escape_string, addslashes and so on.

Can you show a few examples? My "fear" is that it would make some complex SQL queries a bit complicated to maintain. Just like this:

Code:

$string = sprintf('My %s is %s in %s and %s', $a, $b, $c, $d);

is harder to maintain than that:

Code:

$string = 'My '.$a.' is '.$b.' in '.$c.' and '.$d;

But maybe we can have "named variables" in the pattern instead of %s (I think more of "?" if it works like in Perl)

I agree the whole mysql_real_escape_string and addslashes stuff is really painful (and sometimes doesn't work the same way depending on PHP configuration, I've seen it on Grum plugins...)

#2 2014-05-01 18:15:57

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: mysqli prepared statements

Looks like the default implementation doesn't accept name parameters, only "?" char
that's just insane ! (see, we go back to what is argued in the blog I quoted :D )

PDO supports named params, don't know it's availability though

or we could add our own query parser http://forum.ragezone.com/f86/php-named … li-842825/

I agree that prepared statement without named parameters is worse that what we have currently

#3 2014-05-12 13:25:09

billy88
2014-05-12

mistic100 wrote:

Looks like the default implementation doesn't accept name parameters, only "?" char
that's just insane ! (see, we go back to what is argued in the blog I quoted :D )

Yes, PDO supports named params, I've been using it for ages now. Why don't you just switch to PDO? This will allow for different database backends, which almost always is a good idea... of course unless you rely heavily on some MySQL-only features.

#4 2014-05-12 13:27:39

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

billy88 wrote:

mistic100 wrote:

Yes, PDO supports named params, I've been using it for ages now. Why don't you just switch to PDO? This will allow for different database backends, which almost always is a good idea... of course unless you rely heavily on some MySQL-only features.

We won't switch to multiple database. We have already made the experience in the past.

Is PDO as good as mysqli for performances?

#5 2014-05-12 13:29:52

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

http://wooptoo.com/blog/pdo-vs-mysqli-p … omparison/ seems to say that PDO is faster! As mistic said earlier, we have to know about its availability.

•  » Engine
  •  » mysqli prepared statements

Board footer