•  » Engine
  •  » Integrate Extended Description the core

#1 2015-01-12 14:29:39

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Integrate Extended Description the core

I think it would be a good idea Extended Description becomes a core functionnality.

with few exception:
- keep [slider] in a plugin, as it's a bit advanced, and unfortunately a bit bugged
- make "hide elements" a core functionnality, with a new album/photo property + remove the hidden elements from search result as well

Also I would like to use this library I forked to manage triggers and shortcodes https://github.com/mistic100/PHP-Hooks
the triggers part is a bit more well written and the shortcodes part is way way better that was is currently done in Extended Description + plugins can easily add shortcodes where they want without dealing with all triggers

the only problem would be (as always) retrocompatiblity, PHP Hooks is class based but we must keep trigger_change, trigger_notify and add_event_handler for a while

#2 2015-01-12 14:47:45

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Integrate Extended Description the core

I agree that many features of [extension by Piwigo Team] Extended Description should be added in Piwigo core, such as [lang] or [photo...].

mistic wrote:

- make "hide elements" a core functionnality, with a new album/photo property

yes, a simple checkbox would be much cleaner than a <!-- hidden --> syntax.

mistic wrote:

+ remove the hidden elements from search result as well

I don't know. Photos of a "hidden" album would still be availabe in "recent photos" section for example. As far as I understand, the <!-- hidden --> is not a privacy setting but a way to hide an element at a specific place. I don't really use it myself, so I don't really know the problem with it.

PHP-Hooks [...] manage triggers and shortcodes

I fully agree with it concerning shortcodes, but for triggers, I don't exactly understand what's the problem with our current code and what PHP-Hooks would bring (and of course, we must not break all plugins).

#3 2015-01-12 14:56:59

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

plg wrote:

I don't know. Photos of a "hidden" album would still be availabe in "recent photos" section for example. As far as I understand, the <!-- hidden --> is not a privacy setting but a way to hide an element at a specific place. I don't really use it myself, so I don't really know the problem with it.

Actually I meant : "everywhere", not only in search results, so the element will be trully hidden and only accessible by direct access

plg wrote:

I fully agree with it concerning shortcodes, but for triggers, I don't exactly understand what's the problem with our current code and what PHP-Hooks would bring (and of course, we must not break all plugins).

no particular problem, it's a matter of coherence in the usage of libraries

PHP-Hooks also provide some intertings methods like "has_filter", "has_action", I also want to add an infinite loop detector (break as long as we detected that and handler for A triggers B, and an handler for B triggers A)

and we one day we use Composer, it's ready :)

#4 2015-01-12 15:05:04

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

hi guys
sounds very good
Shortcodes API etc seems very powerfull and maybe more mature
+1 about hidden pictures/album

Last edited by flop25 (2015-01-12 15:05:50)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#5 2015-01-12 15:10:46

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

mistic100 wrote:

plg wrote:

Actually I meant : "everywhere", not only in search results, so the element will be trully hidden and only accessible by direct access

OK, a bit like the "unlisted" in youtube (I saw that when I uploaded the Piwigo 2.7 video made by flop25).

The difference is maybe that on youtube, the URL includes some "random" characters like watch?v=z58U0vQvcky while on piwigo we have picture?/68/category/25 (predictible numeric identifiers)

plg wrote:

PHP-Hooks also provide some intertings methods like "has_filter", "has_action", I also want to add an infinite loop detector (break as long as we detected that and handler for A triggers B, and an handler for B triggers A)

and we one day we use Composer, it's ready :)

Sounds like good points!

#6 2015-01-12 15:51:26

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

@plg urls in piwigo can be changed via local config (adding name...)

edit: ok, 'id only' urls are still valid for piwigo and will redirect to the new one defined by the local conf...

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#7 2015-01-12 17:04:45

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

Hello,

Can you tell us in what the new hook system is better than current one ? (I'm interested to know if we can expect the same performance...

#8 2015-01-12 17:53:16

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

rvelices wrote:

Can you tell us in what the new hook system is better than current one ? (I'm interested to know if we can expect the same performance...

it's not, it works the same way (didn't the one who coded the plugins system get it from Wordpress ?)

•  » Engine
  •  » Integrate Extended Description the core

Board footer