Announcement

#1 2015-03-27 18:34:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[iOS 2.0] keep original quality

Hello Hoser,

I would like to have an option to keep the original quality, with no compression, no resize.

If I take a screenshot (Home button + power button) then upload it through the app, the screenshot is obviously compressed (I have tried compression 0% and 100%). It seems that the screenshot is converted from PNG to JPEG, I don't know if it's done by the app or by iOS.

In my opinion, there should be no question of "compression" if there is no resize. The resize X% is a bit unexpected: we always resize with a parameter like "max width + max height". I think a better configuration would be:

[] resize before upload

then if you activate the option

[x] resize before upload
maximum width ===[]=== 800 pixels
maximum height ===[]=== 800 pixels
image quality =====[]= 80% (ability to go from 50 to 98)

I don't know if it's possible to do. What do you think?

#2 2015-03-28 02:25:29

Hoser
Utah
2015-01-14

Re: [iOS 2.0] keep original quality

I just did a test with taking a screen shot and uploading it:

The image from iPhoto (raw):
  Format: png
  Size: 493 KB

Image uploaded with compression set to 0% and then downloaded to my computer:
  Size: 288 KB

Image uploaded with compression set to 100% and then downloaded to my computer:
  Size: 155 KB

The iOS app converts the image from a jpg (this is the code "UIImageJPEGRepresentation(image)" and I'm surprised that when I downloaded the screenshot from Piwigo it was still in png format -- I think this is because the filename stayed png.
The reason for the JPEG conversion is because iOS devices take jpg images from their camera.

Yeah I agree with the "resize image on upload" and if checked, displaying the option for a max width or height -- it's totally possible to do. I chose not to implement that yet but chose to only put a simple % in.

Board footer