Announcement

#1 2015-10-29 10:36:53

hansel
2015-10-29

Physical location of pictures

Before installing Piwigo and give it a try, I try to understand the concept of importing pictures/photos.

How does Piwigo handle import? Do you, as a admin, point to a location where the (orginal) pictures are stored? Does it generate different sizes of these pictures and save them to another location? Or maybe as BLOB/CLOB in the database? Can I move the copies to a location of my choice? What happens with the originals?

I would like to run Piwigo on my LAN. Different (mobile) devices on the netwerk automatically upload pictures to a share on a fileserver as soon as they connect to WiFi. Folders are organized in a format <year>/<month>.
Piwigo would run on a different share/disc "/var/www/html/..." and ideally I don't want gigabytes of pictures in there.

Can you shed some light on the concept? Thanks.

Piwigo version: NA
PHP version: 5.2
MySQL version: 5
Piwigo URL: http:// NA

Last edited by hansel (2015-10-29 10:37:17)

#2 2015-11-13 17:17:04

hansel
2015-10-29

Re: Physical location of pictures

Two weeks later no answer...

Is it a dumb question? Sorry for being n00b. I just don't get it. I want to show my picture collections in a nice and easy way without the trouble of re-generating different kind of copies of those pictures. How does it work?

#3 2015-11-16 12:37:32

hansel
2015-10-29

My search for answers continues...
I installed Piwigo and give it a try with a test set of pictures. I copied about 200 pictures in different subfolders to Piwi's folder ~/piwigo/galleries/ and added the pictures in Piwi by the Database Sync.. option.

It fell over the spaces I had in foldernames. Corrected those and import went fine. While browsing some pictures I found that in folder ~/piwigo/_data/i/galleries/ all thumbnails are generated. They are only generated when you actual view the specific (sub)album. It seems that original pictures in ~/piwigo/galleries/ are not touched. Nice.

Can anyone point me to a functional manual where this type of behaviour is decribed? Is it save to move (instead of copy) all my pictures to the ~/piwigo/galleries/ directory and have that as base for all pictures?

Freshly uploaded pictures (uploaded by Piwi's interface) don't end up in ~/piwigo/galleries/...

[edit]
Found them! They are saved in the directory /piwigo/_data/i/upload/<YEAR>/<MONTH>/<DAY>/

Last edited by hansel (2015-11-16 12:52:59)

#4 2015-11-17 11:09:21

hansel
2015-10-29

I think I found (a part of) my answers in this thread: viewtopic.php?pid=161345

Board footer