Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Would Piwigo be suitable for a multi-user gallery?

#1 2016-12-11 13:08:41

Ade V

Would Piwigo be suitable for a multi-user gallery?

Hi all,

I'm admin on a forum which used to have a 3rd party (user) supplied gallery, to which we linked. Unfortunately, that gallery has gone the way of so much on the web & is no longer available. I don't know what software he used for it.

Would Piwigo be a suitable alternative? i.e. we'd have an admin user (me), a couple of webmaster users (the admin team), and a bunch of regular users.  Each regular user would have their own album, which they could link photos into the main forum. Kind of like flickr, really, except it'd be local to our server.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Best regards,
Ade.

#2 2016-12-11 15:58:31

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

Re: Would Piwigo be suitable for a multi-user gallery?

I recommend you to try by yourself and see. It's easy to install Piwigo, then install the plugin Community and Admin Tools plugin and make some test accounts.

If you ask me the answer is NO and I can give you two main reasons for that:
1) Regular users cannot create subalbums in their main personal album.
2) Regular users cannot edit their uploaded photos properties in batch mode (only one by one).

Last edited by eliz82 (2016-12-12 08:31:09)

#3 2016-12-12 23:35:20

Ade V

Hi Eliz,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated :)

Point 2 wouldn't be a particular problem I think, but not being able to create sub-albums is a bit of a show-stopper. The other thing we'd need is for new users to be able to register an account & be set up automatically (or set up after approval)...

I guess the search continues...

Cheers,
Ade.

#4 2016-12-14 09:58:21

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

Ade V wrote:

Point 2 wouldn't be a particular problem I think, but not being able to create sub-albums is a bit of a show-stopper. The other thing we'd need is for new users to be able to register an account & be set up automatically (or set up after approval)...
I guess the search continues...

-if regular users don't upload many photos then is not a problem, but if they upload many then it is. only admin can put titles and tags in batch mode. seems to me that developers of this software want to punish regular users to spend much more time doing the same job.

-yeah, usually if you create community of photographers the ability for users to be able to have subalbums is a must. no photographers would want to have photos of the cats, flowers, peoples, etc in the same album.

-the automatic registration and setup is ok for Piwigo, admin only need to install the community plugin and set it. then a user can register and an album will be automatically created for him (with the properties set by the admin).

You can try Zenphoto, Gallery3 (unsuported), Gallery2 (old software, unsupported), Coppermine.

#5 2016-12-14 10:10:59

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

eliz82 wrote:

1) Regular users cannot create subalbums in their main personal album.

Plugin Community should let them do that. If it doesn't work, then there is a bug to fix.

eliz82 wrote:

2) Regular users cannot edit their uploaded photos properties in batch mode (only one by one).

Yes, only one by one. Only administrators can manage photos in batch mode.

#6 2016-12-14 13:07:01

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

plg wrote:

If it doesn't work, then there is a bug to fix.

If this is a bug, then I am happy.

First time I tested that on 2.7.4 . Then I deleted the 2.7.4 and installed 2.8.1 ... the same thing. I have tried various combination in the community plugin settings and I could not make regular users create subalbums.
I believed this is normal.

When I will have some free time I will test this again on 2.8.3 and report the results.

Last edited by eliz82 (2016-12-14 13:15:03)

#7 2016-12-30 13:19:08

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

Hey plg i just tested the community plugin 2.8.a on a clean Piwigo 2.9.0 beta1 installation. All Piwigo settings have been default.

Seems a normal user can create subalbums in some specific conditions, but I have found some strange behaviour:

1) after normal user upload some photos to any album is redirected to an empty page (see 2016-12-30-1.png)

2) in community plugin setting first i set to configuration album to be created in the Gallery root (2016-12-30-5.png).
when admin click "User album only" then "The Whole Gallery" he cannot check option "ability to create sub-albums". to be able to check this:
a) he must first "Submit" button , then go to "Action" => "Edit". Now he can check "ability to create sub-albums".
b) he chose an existing album, check both options, then chose back to "The Whole Gallery" then "ability to create sub-albums" remain selected. then click "Submit".

3) i did not find an option for the user to be able to create sub-albums only in his "user album" . in community plugin you can either chose:
a) "The Whole Gallery" and then user can create an sub-album anywhere in the gallery (including in other users albums), and including in his own album or subalbums.
b) you must manually select that specific user album then select the both options. Of course this is not possible when you have hundred of users, it means a lot of work for the admin to manually set the permission for every user.

4) When choosing "User album only" you cannot check "Apply to sub-albums" and "ability to create sub-albums". This should be the settings I'm searching that will automatically give permission to create sub-albums but only in that specific user album. At the current moment seems the user only can upload photos to his album but he cannot create sub-albums.

----
Piwigo 2.9.0 beta1
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 5.6.26
MySQL: 5.1.73
Graphics Library: GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

#8 2016-12-30 15:52:57

eliz82
Romania
2016-04-27

seems error no. (1) do not appear to admin only to normal users.

if admin use the same upload method , redirection seems to work ok after upload but the message is hardly visible because you have lightgrey text on lightgreen background.
default theme used (elegant).

error 1 has already been reported by another user:
[Github] Piwigo-community issue #17

Last edited by eliz82 (2017-01-04 15:14:47)

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Would Piwigo be suitable for a multi-user gallery?

Board footer