Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Functionality for uploading + displaying animated GIF?

#1 2017-01-26 10:48:33

rges
2017-01-26

Functionality for uploading + displaying animated GIF?

Hello,

I use Piwigo, not for photographs, but as a Digital Art Gallery for drawings/paintings (.jpg, .gif, .png).
Please build a functional mechanism (or extension) into Piwigo that can handle and display animated files (.gif or .apng).
The module should have the possibility to upload animated GIF, show a static thumbnail in an album, and present the animation dynamically (also in slideshow, Fotorama).
Is this possible in the nearby future?

Piwigo version: 2.8.5
PHP version: 5.6.0
MySQL version: 5.5.41
Piwigo URL: http://www.rolfsnijders.net/?br=pwf

Last edited by rges (2017-01-26 10:49:16)

#2 2017-01-26 11:17:03

TheDoc
Munich / Germany
2015-10-18

Re: Functionality for uploading + displaying animated GIF?

I already started a similar Thread under [Forum, topic 27004] Support for animated GIFs.

AFAIK a change in some core places would be required. Not sure if and how this could be done via an extension - my piwigo skills would only suffice for a "hack" in my local installation. Still on my todo list, but no progress so far.

#3 2017-01-29 09:04:55

rges
2017-01-26

Thank you for your answer.
I hope that presenting animated pictures will become a core function within Pwigo.
Rges

#4 2017-03-07 09:27:37

TheDoc
Munich / Germany
2015-10-18

If you're still interested in this you might have a look at my update in http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27004.

I have managed to get it working by changing only one core file. But that surely needs some more testing to see if I have thought of everything. Also, my instance of PHP uses the external imagemagick library, so I could only do & test the change for this configuration.

#5 2017-03-07 10:29:48

rges
2017-01-26

Hello TheDoc,

Thank you for pointing me to the other forum post, but that post is too unclear for me.
I want to try to install your configuration on my website in order to test your solution, but I have the following questions:
1. Do I only need to copy your version of image.class.php to overwrite the original file in piwigo\admin\include ?
2. How do I install ImageMagick on my website: I use a WIMP platform: Windows 10 pro, IIS 10 webserver, MySql, PHP.
3. Or is ImageMagick already pre-installed in Piwigo 2.8.6. (ploader plugin?)? The Piwigo environment says: GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible).
4. Do I need to make separate thumbnails (animated or not), or does Piwigo take care of file-sizing etc. during uploading of animated-GIFs?

I will then upload some of my GIF animations into a separate sub-album on my site, and test the display, or slideshow etc. and report the result to you.

Friendly regards,
Rolf Snijders

Piwigo version: 2.8.6
MySQL version: 5.5.54
WIMP platform: Windows 10 pro, IIS 10 webserver, MySql, PHP.

#6 2017-03-07 14:51:22

TheDoc
Munich / Germany
2015-10-18

Hi Rolf,

let me try to answer as best as I can:

1. Do I only need to copy your version of image.class.php to overwrite the original file in piwigo\admin\include ?

-> Yes, but you should make a copy of the original file before :-)

2. How do I install ImageMagick on my website: I use a WIMP platform: Windows 10 pro, IIS 10 webserver, MySql, PHP.

-> Luckily, it was pre-installed by my hoster. A quick google search revealed various matches, e.g. http://herbmiller.me/2016/06/16/install … ick-php-7/

3. Or is ImageMagick already pre-installed in Piwigo 2.8.6. (ploader plugin?)? The Piwigo environment says: GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible).

-> In that case you don't have ImageMagick installed (neither as stand-alone nor as PHP-Module). For that page to show Piwigo checks what is installed on your server. So if you manage to install ImageMagick properly, it should show up, e.g. like "Graphics Library: External ImageMagick 6.8.9-9" (my case)

4. Do I need to make separate thumbnails (animated or not), or does Piwigo take care of file-sizing etc. during uploading of animated-GIFs?

-> Piwigo creates files "as required" - normally when you request the file its checked whether the format is already cached (under the data/_i folder). If not, the conversion is started. For GIFs I have found that this takes a long time and should be triggered directly after the upload. This can be done under

Photos->Recent photos, Select Photo, Select Action "Generate Multiple Size Images"

Regards,
Thomas

#7 2017-03-08 16:53:32

rges
2017-01-26

Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your helpful explanation. I use your functionality, not for photo's by for artwork.
I have done my homework (ImageMagick) and eventually got the animations to work in Piwigo, though with some flaws.
The animated GIF will render properly in the Details page (on the level of individual picture) and in the slideshow mode.
The downsides are:
a) No thumbnail of animated GIF file is displayed on level of album/subalbum.
b) Many upload problems with animated GIF files.
c) Large animated GIF files are not shown, such as:
FapTrailer8-animationToFro2-RGES.gif (e.g. 1060x1060 px, 922 MB, 255 colours).

You can see examples at:
http://www.rolfsnijders.net/index.php?/ … amp;br=pwf
http://www.rolfsnijders.net/index.php?/ … amp;br=pwf

Friendly regards,
Rolf Snijders

Piwigo version: 2.8.6
MySQL version: 5.5.54
WIMP platform: Windows 10 pro, IIS 10 webserver, MySql, PHP.

#8 2017-03-08 20:03:31

TheDoc
Munich / Germany
2015-10-18

Hi Rolf,

pictures or artwork shouldn't make much of a difference to ImageMagick :-)

a) No thumbnail of animated GIF file is displayed on level of album/subalbum.
-> Works on my end: http://www.feuster.com/piwigo/index?/ca … tartcat-12

b) Many upload problems with animated GIF files.
-> Such as? Any errors & logs, ...? Maybe timeouts due to size?

c) Large animated GIF files are not shown, such as:
FapTrailer8-animationToFro2-RGES.gif (e.g. 1060x1060 px, 922 MB, 255 colours).
-> Could you mail me on of those GIFs? Then I could try on my end and maybe see, where its breaking...
-> If you have organized by galleries you could check under piwigo\_data\i\galleries\galleryname if there are re-sized versions of your GIF (endings like -la, -me, ...) and if they are still animated
-> Does re-creating under Photos->Recent photos, Select Photo, Select Action "Generate Multiple Size Images" complete without errors?

HTH,
Thomas

#9 2017-03-09 09:31:58

rges
2017-01-26

Hello Thomas,
I do not have your email address. And when I click on the word 'email' under your post-name, I get the message: "You do not have permission to access this page."
How can I send a GIF animation to you so you experiment with it?
Friendly regards,
Rolf

#10 2017-03-09 12:25:01

rges
2017-01-26

Hello Thomas,

I have been trying to generate multiple sizes the way you suggested. I only get the red remark that none has succeeded.
Furthermore, Ik get duplicate subalbums, for example in the album BeaytyMotives, I now have 2 subalbums called Animations. I found a way to delete the images in the second Animation subalbum, though Piwigo shows the error message:
http://www.rolfsnijders.net/admin.php?page=photo-314
--------
Warning: [mysql error 1064] You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3

SELECT username AS username
  FROM piwigo_users
  WHERE id =
; in I:\Web\Site\piwigo\include\dblayer\functions_mysqli.inc.php on line 845
Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_assoc() on boolean in I:\Web\Site\piwigo\include\dblayer\functions_mysqli.inc.php on line 226
---------
The image concerned has disappeared from that subalbum, but now I can not find a way to delete the duplicate (empty) Animations subalbum (within BeautyMotives).

I do not know if is it is feasible to copy the original files in the Piwigo subfolder piwigo\galleries\BeautyMotives\Animations, and then synchronize the complete site or the other way around. In which order should I maintain data? Is the following correct:
1. First on the local/Windows level of files?
2. Then online (via the website URL):
a) first: Tools | Maintenance: repair optimise database, then
b) second: Tools |  Synchronise directories + files ?

Friendly regards,
Rolf

Last edited by rges (2017-03-09 12:25:45)

#11 2017-03-09 14:54:05

TheDoc
Munich / Germany
2015-10-18

Hi Rolf,

so there is probably some of abort in the conversion process - needs a lot of time and memory for large gifs...

As for the issues with duplicate albums: I have only changed some parameters that are passed to ImageMagick, nothing else. So its difficult for me to see how this could result in duplicate albums?

If you use the FTP upload then during a sync simulation Piwigo should tell you what it wants to do. If there is only one directory for one gallery on your server I would expect that it tells something like "1 album will be deleted" (or something similar, I won't be in front of my machine for some days).

As for my email: my profile settings are "Hide your e-mail address but allow form e-mail." - should work in theory. I have no switched to "Display your e-mail address.", that should hopefully do it.

Bye,
Thomas

Last edited by TheDoc (2017-03-09 14:54:19)

•  » Requests
  •  » Functionality for uploading + displaying animated GIF?

Board footer