Announcement

#1 2017-02-06 15:51:43

DeathAndTaxes
2017-02-06

Inconsistent File Locations?

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

Hi, I've been using piwigo for a couple of years now. I imported from a galleryproject.org gallery.

I've noticed that I have images all over the place in my installation. I have images in:

$PIWIGO/galleries/subgalleries
$PIWIGO/subgalleries (some of these are 1-for-1 duplicates of the above directory lists, resulting in double the storage. I have moved these subgalleries out temporarily to test for breakage)
$PIWIGO/upload/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY
$PIWIGO/_data/i/upload/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY

Maybe even more locations. I'm concerned about data loss overall. I would like to get all of these images moved to a single consistent directory and all future images to be placed in that same directory.

My questions are:
1. How did my images get spread over so many different and sometimes non-intuitive directories?
2. How can I get all of my images moved to a single consistent path structure and still have the web access work?
3. How can I prevent this from happening in the future? How can I tell piwigo where to store future images?
4. Will the default path change in the future?

Piwigo version: 2.8.6
PHP version: 7.1.1-1+deb.sury.org~xenial+1
MySQL version: 5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
Piwigo URL: https://archie.caglan.netslash~danpslashimagesslashgallery (replace slash with /)

#2 2017-02-06 22:50:37

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: Inconsistent File Locations?

$PIWIGO/galleries is where FTP synchronization happens (for physical albums).
$PIWIGO/upload is where uploaded images to (for virtual galleries).
$PIWIGO/_data/i will contain things like thumbnails and re-sizes created by Piwigo.

I only use FTP synchronization so all of my images are under galleries and upload is empty. I'm not sure why you would have had duplicates under galleries and <subgalleries> but maybe that was a quirk in your migration from your old gallery to Piwigo?

#3 2017-02-06 23:17:19

jnashpiwigo
Piwigo Team
2014-10-21

windracer wrote:

$PIWIGO/galleries is where FTP synchronization happens (for physical albums).
$PIWIGO/upload is where uploaded images to (for virtual galleries).
$PIWIGO/_data/i will contain things like thumbnails and re-sizes created by Piwigo.

I only use FTP synchronization so all of my images are under galleries and upload is empty. I'm not sure why you would have had duplicates under galleries and <subgalleries> but maybe that was a quirk in your migration from your old gallery to Piwigo?

+1 ^this^

#4 2017-02-07 00:05:39

DeathAndTaxes
2017-02-06

Ok, that mostly makes sense. Like I said it's been a while since the migration and I was just happy enough to have images appearing that I didn't worry too much about the backend. Now that I'm in this mess, I wish I would have paid more attention along the way.

Code:

10255 photos (first photo added on Thursday 24 September 2015)
132 albums included 108 physical and 24 virtual (10255 associations)

I use the web form at this point almost exclusively. If I intend to use web form going forward, what path should I expect those to appear in ($PIWIGO/upload ?).

I would like all of my images to be in a consistent path structure, with direct 1-to-1 relationship between URL and physical path being preferred. I believe this is how physical is intended to work, am I correct? Is this incompatible with using web form upload?

For the existing galleries, how can I determine which galleries are physical and which are virtual? How do I change from one type to another, say from virtual to physical?

#5 2017-02-07 00:25:11

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

DeathAndTaxes wrote:

I use the web form at this point almost exclusively. If I intend to use web form going forward, what path should I expect those to appear in ($PIWIGO/upload ?).

Yes, if you use the upload form, your photos will go under $PIWIGO/upload/year/month/day/random-name.ext.

DeathAndTaxes wrote:

I would like all of my images to be in a consistent path structure, with direct 1-to-1 relationship between URL and physical path being preferred. I believe this is how physical is intended to work, am I correct? Is this incompatible with using web form upload?

Yes, that is how physical/FTP synchronization works: each folder under $PIWIGO/galleries becomes an album. This is what I do as well. And yes, this is "incompatible" with using the web form upload (because those photos will end up under "upload" as described above).

DeathAndTaxes wrote:

For the existing galleries, how can I determine which galleries are physical and which are virtual? How do I change from one type to another, say from virtual to physical?

In the album management (Administration > Albums > Manage) physical albums will have the cross-hatched background. There are extensions like virtualize and physical2virtual that will convert from physical to virtual, but I don't believe there's a way to go back.

Board footer