•  » Requests
  •  » Ignore common words in search

#1 2017-02-26 22:01:08

PEU
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2017-02-12

Ignore common words in search

Hello

I would like to suggest an addition to search, to ignore common words, for example "the, and, or" because if you quick search, for example, by tags, you don't get all the results if you add one of these common words. In the meantime I solved it by adding these common words to the whole set, but its a kludgy solution.

Piwigo version: 2.86
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://www.peu.net

#2 2017-02-27 10:38:40

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

Re: Ignore common words in search

Hello,
"and" and "or" are special operators. They are not searched unless quoted.

All words less than 4 characters are searched but if they are adjacent to another found word, only those are shown. For example if you search the clown it will not show the people if we can find the clown but it will show everything with the if clown cannot be found after the.
Stop words implementation should also take into account language which will only make them more difficult...

#3 2017-02-27 18:10:35

PEU
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2017-02-12

Re: Ignore common words in search

Thanks for the reply

My website is mostly aimed at spanish speaking public, so we have other stop or connecting words, I had a search by tag "cuchillo de oficio" that resulted in a subset of "cuchillo oficio" which shielded the whole set, in english there is no connecting word "paring knife" and the result always gets the whole set.

I'm not saying that piwigo should know which words to ignore, I suggested, maybe not clearly enough, that the admin should have the option to add a list of words to ignore, that would put the workload on the gallery admin and not developers.

Last edited by PEU (2017-02-27 18:11:51)

•  » Requests
  •  » Ignore common words in search

Board footer