Announcement

#1 2017-06-21 14:41:58

bigcookie
2017-06-20

Issue with notification for administrators on comment adding

Hello Piwigo Forum,

I am running piwigo now since nearly 2 years and I am so happy, that such software exists. So first a big thanks.
I ran into problems when updating to the latest 2.8 version and now the same issues apply to 2.9.1

We wanted to have the administrators being notified when a comment was added. With the first installation of 2.7 it worked, with the update to 2.8 only one administrator received the emails and now with the latest 2.8 and 2.9 update, no emails are being sent out.
I dont know howto debug piwigo. So any hint how to dig deeper is welcome.
At the moment I think that the mail hoster might block the emails sent, but they are not identified as spam. Nevertheless emails could be blocked. Is there any chance to see if the email was sent? If blocking is the case, can I add credentials and data for an external smtp server?

Current configuration:
2 users are marked as Administrator and are assigned to the privacy level "Administrators" as well (As I run the site in German, the vocabulary might be different).
Under Options, Comments, I enabled "Sent email to adminsitrators on comment [tick] creation"

As stated: it worked in the beginning. And due to the fact, that first one hoster didnt get the emails, then the other, I assume they might not trust the sending server... But this is just a guess.

thanks, regards,

André

Piwigo version: 2.9.1
PHP version: 5.4.45
MySQL version: 5.5.55
Piwigo URL: http://elia .dot. andrekuhn .dot. net

#2 2017-06-22 07:40:02

bigcookie
2017-06-20

Re: Issue with notification for administrators on comment adding

Hello again,
any help with enabling debugging or logging would help...
regards,

André

#3 2017-06-22 13:07:50

bigcookie
2017-06-20

As it seems, debugging is not that common ;-).
I found a solution. In the file "/include/config_default.inc.php" you can set some debug options. I set "write mail to data dir" to true and found the email. It seems the email is generated.
So sending the email or receiving it seems to be the issue. This can be due to local mail program (not sure, what PHP is using). Nevertheless you can set the credentials for a SMTP server  in the same file. By doing this, emails are being sent out and received again.

It would be great, if such PHP errors or similar could be debugged easily. Apologies if I didnt find the suitable debug flag. Nevertheless it would be great to get such debug option.
Also configuring the email SMTP server and being able to send test emails from the web interface would be a good option.

Thanks a lot for the great software. I hope my findings above might help other people.

regards,

André

#4 2017-06-28 23:06:50

JohnN
2017-06-28

Many thanks André, this has been bugging me for ages, and you solved it!

I was not registered before, but I am now - if only to be able to thank you for your advice!

Cheers,  John

Board footer