Announcement

#1 2017-07-24 19:59:33

djha2
2017-07-22

EXIF utilization from LR and other sources

Hi,

Now that my Piwigo is back running again I am trying to understand how the EXIF and IPTC metadata is used in producing an album. 

I have a collection of old photographs, processed over the years with different tools and applications though most of them are scans of the original prints.   Over time I have used different software to produce the images and am now looking to Lightroom to update the metadata to permanently 'label' the images so the descriptions are not lost.  Some of the images are have been processed with VueScan or other photo editor, others with Picasa and yet others using earlier versions of Windows Explorer. 

Examining the metadata with ExifTool I see that the fields used are not consistent so some 'labels' show up in Piwigo and others do not.   Is there a mapping to show what fields can be used and which ones are ignored?  And what is the maximum field length allowed or utilized? 

Piwigo 2.9.1
    Operating system: WINNT (Actually Windows 10 Developer Ed.)
    PHP: 7.1.7 (Show info) [2017-07-24 17:43:44]
    MySQL: 5.7.18-log [2017-07-24 12:43:44]
    Graphics Library: GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

#2 2017-07-25 06:18:21

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Re: EXIF utilization from LR and other sources

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#3 2017-07-26 05:34:41

djha2
2017-07-22

Thanks,   I see these links but am confused about the statement that leads to one of these pages.  It states:

"Old Doc

Might be useful if you're running an old version of Piwigo, which totally not recommended

Remote sites
Remote site configuration
Remote site limitation
Remote site usage1" 

I am not running an old version, but a current version recently downloaded.  How would it apply to the current version?   Do I need to start over with an old version to use this?

Notice: Undefined offset: 5 in /var/www/piwigo.org/forum/include/parser.php on line 551

#4 2017-07-26 09:15:01

teekay
2013-06-12

That documentation is still valid, with the exception that $conf['use_exif'] = true; by default. See [Github] Piwigo file include/config_default.inc.php

In short:

$conf['use_exif_mapping'] defines the mapping of exif fields to (predefined) columns in the piwigo_images database table when the images gets added to the database the first time. The "predefined" matters. You can not, for example, add the camera make exif info here as there is no corresponding column in the table.

$conf['show_exif_fields'] defines what is displayed when you look at the metadata on the picture details page. That data is retrieved from the file each time. It cannot be searched upon, as it's not stored in the database.

Metadata has nothing to do with "producing an album" in Piwigo, it's bound to one single image. Albums are (virtual or even physical) folders, much like collections in Lightroom. You could make use of tags/keywords to create groups of related images and make them browsable and searchable in Piwigo. Keywords are stored in  the Piwigo database.

If you use Lightroom for asset management, I can only recommend the Piwigo publisher plugin by alloyphoto. It will sync keywords from Lightroom to Piwigo and even the other way around.

Last edited by teekay (2017-07-26 09:32:34)

#5 2017-07-27 00:54:05

djha2
2017-07-22

Thanks for your patience, I am making some progress.   Based on the link to "Remote site configuration" I was looking for the file "create_listing_file.php" which is not on my current version.   I see now that apparently is referring to the  link to "config.inc.php" which I have worked with before.

I perhaps I was not very clear in what I hope to accomplish - I have many images, each with metadata descriptions that I want to preserve and display in Piwigo.  I have some images, however, with titles and descriptions that appear in LightRoom but does not show up with the image in Piwigo. 

Once I get my localhost system configured the way I want it to look I will then most likely use the Lightroom plugin to put the images on my hosted web site.  But it seems much more efficient to learn and debug my configuration locally.

Board footer