Announcement

#1 2017-08-07 15:38:34

snert
2017-08-02

Up and running

Hi,

Now I've got this installed on my machine on my network, I would like to be able to have my collection of photos that are stored on my file system, displayed in piwigo. I saw that there is a plugin called Local File Sychronisation. It says it's beta and was written in 2012. I'm not convinced it's what I want. The directory I have is on an external nas drive on the network but it is mounted by my linux machine as a permanent mount. I don't want to duplicate the files, so is there a way of telling piwigo that this folder exists and I want it to scan and do its stuff to make albums out of the folder structure?

If I then add to the folder structure, would there be a way if resynching?

Thanks,

Piwigo version: 2.9.1
PHP version:
MySQL version:
Piwigo URL: http://

#2 2017-08-08 02:40:58

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: Up and running

I think what you want to look into is the FTP Synchronization.

I do something similar. In my setup, all of my folders/photos reside on my NAS which is mounted to the Linux server. You can create a symlink under /usr/local/piwigo/galleries pointing to the mount location where your photos are (in my case, I have several symlinks there). Then when you use the FTP synchronization (under Tools > Synchronize) it will add all of the folders there as albums and all the photos as well (this will probably take a while the first time).

What I also do is symlink the /usr/local/piwigo/_data directory to a location on my NAS as this is where all the thumbnails will be saved. I didn't want those on the local Linux server drive so I symlinked it out to a different location.

Hope that points you in the right direction ...

#3 2017-08-08 09:58:20

snert
2017-08-02

Now that sounds like good advice. I'll do that.

Thanks

#4 2017-08-08 10:20:04

snert
2017-08-02

Getting there. The sync failed but then I have directory and file names with spaces and apostrophe's as well. Plenty of file names that will generate an error.

Couple of questions and I'll be there I think.

1. Can directories and filenames have spaces in them?
2. What options are best to do a full resync?

I chose:
directories + files
display maximal information (added albums and photos, deleted albums and photos)
Everyone can see the pictures
Sync Metadata
Search in sub albums

The other optiosn were left unticked. I don't know if I want the photos added to caddie because I don't know what caddie is so I left it unticked. Whatis it and do I want to add my photos to it?

#5 2017-08-08 10:49:09

snert
2017-08-02

I can answer the first question myself as I found this page:

http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … dd_picture

Now reading further down there are some 3rd party apps and one is called piwigo import tree. Had any experience with that? Seems a bit more flexible on the names allowed. Wasn't sure if it physically copies the pictures up and duplicates them or pulls in the tree structure and creates albums from what is there already.

#6 2017-08-10 14:12:21

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

snert wrote:

The other optiosn were left unticked. I don't know if I want the photos added to caddie because I don't know what caddie is so I left it unticked. Whatis it and do I want to add my photos to it?

The caddie is like a temporary holding area where you can add photos for batch edits. For example, I might add a bunch of photos to the caddie so I can batch tag them, set a description, etc. Then I empty the caddie. This has no impact on where the photos are stored, their albums, etc. It's just a temporary way of "grouping" a bunch of photos together in the administration area.

So for your full sync, I would leave that turned off.

#7 2017-08-10 17:51:04

snert
2017-08-02

Any thoughts on my query about syncing with a directory structure? My photo albums and photos often have spaces intheir names. Any suggestions? Renaming them isn't particularly feasible as there are thousands.

#8 2017-08-10 18:04:43

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

As it says on that doc page you linked to:

The list of characters allowed can be extended using the config var: $conf['sync_chars_regex'] and its default value is '/^[a-zA-Z0-9-_.]+$/'.

I think that's your only option for allowing those extended characters in your directory and file names. I personally have no experience with changing that, however.

#9 2017-08-10 18:09:01

snert
2017-08-02

Ok, well I can script that change. I assume I can add image information once the pictures have been put into piwigo, such as picture name and location? Do you know if piwigo can read the GPS data? I'll read the manual a bit more once I've got the thing up and running :)

#10 2017-08-10 18:45:28

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Once you have everything in Piwigo, yes, you can add descriptions, tags, etc. All of that is stored in the database.

As for GPS, I've never tried, but there are a few extensions that will do that.

[extension by ZeBe] ImageMagick GPS
[extension by ramack] Exiftool GPS
[extension by rvelices] RV Maps & Earth

#11 2017-08-11 15:53:00

snert
2017-08-02

Getting somewhere now. After I did a sync the other day and unticked the "do nothing" tick box, and I have since renamed a load of files and folders. How can I delete the existing data in the database? Specificall I'm trying to delete the albums it created. I read this page:

http://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user_ … edit_album

However, none of the albums I can see have the "delete album" option available. All I have are jump, add, manage, and sync. I dont' have delete album or manage sub-albums.

#12 2017-08-11 16:21:26

snert
2017-08-02

Seems that the delete album option only exists for physical albums. What I have are virtual ones. There are no photos in piwigo yet so the whol db is empty. I just want to remove things and start again

#13 2017-08-11 16:26:36

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

The "Delete Album" option is only available for virtual albums. Since you're doing FTP sync, everything is a physical album (tied to a physical folder). So normally the way to delete an album is to delete the folder and do a re-sync.

Without getting into SQL to remove the rows from the albums and photos tables, the easiest way to proceed might be to re-install Piwigio (fresh SQL database) and do the full sync again.

#14 2017-08-11 16:40:00

snert
2017-08-02

I had a feeling you were going to say a reinstall!

Right, ok. I'm very familiar with SQL as a language as I do programming for a living but I am not familiar with the piwigo schema so I may just reinstall for now.

Your help have been very much appreciated.

#15 2017-08-11 17:01:06

snert
2017-08-02

I dumped the mysql database and went through the tables. The schema is pretty simple. I could see the erroneous entries in the piwigo_categories table and other than the history tables, nothing referred to them so I deleted the entries. Then I did some maintenance to purge things and everything is back as it should be now. Now I'll back it up again and start playing. At least then I can restore the database if it goes wrong.

Forgot the first rule of thumb with databases. Backup before doing anything.

Cheers :)

Board footer