Announcement

#1 2017-10-09 23:16:01

paulk
2017-10-09

Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support.

Hello,

i just installed piwigo for the first time. its specifically on a dreamhost server, ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS. the problem I'm having is that i can't upload photos through the web form. under the "add photos" button, it says "Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support." I've tried on three computers (all up to date macs), using safari, chrome, and opera (all up to date versions). any ideas?

Piwigo version: 2.9.2
PHP version: 5.6.31
MySQL version: 5.6.34

#2 2017-10-10 11:01:44

maximebrmd
2017-09-21

Re: Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support.

Hello paulk,

http://detectmybrowser.com/

can you screen your result, please?

- Maxime

#3 2017-10-10 12:03:36

paulk
2017-10-09

i (maybe) attached a pdf of the detectmybrowser.com result, and a copy/paste as well. that said, upload works fine on other peoples piwigo installs, just not mine.

You're using Safari version 11 on Mac

Your screen has a resolution of 1440x900 pixels with a colordepth of 24 bit
Your browser can currently view 1425x793 pixels of this website.

Plugin check
below you'll find the detected plugins in your browser

Browser Plugins
Java    false    Flash Player    27.0.0.0
Shockwave    false   
Quick Time    false
Silverlight    false   
VLC    false
Windows Media Player    false   
DevalVR    false

HTML5 Audio Check

HTML5 Audio    true
Supported audio formats   
Ogg    false
MP3    true
WAV    true
M4A    true

HTML5 Video Check

HTML5 Video    true
Supported video formats   
Ogg    false
webm    false
h264    false

CSS3 Capabilities
@font-face    true
RGBA color values    true
HSLA color values    true
border-image    true
border-radius    true
box-shadow    true
Multiple backgrounds    false
Opacity    true
CSS Animations    true
CSS Columns    true
CSS Gradients    true
CSS Reflections    false
CSS 2D Transforms    true
CSS 3D Transforms    true
CSS Transitions    true
Advanced HTML5 interfaces
Canvas    true
Canvas Text    true
Geolocation API    true
localStorage    true
sessionStorage    true
Web Workers    true
applicationCache    true

HTML5 Forms
HTML5 Input Types    true
HTML5 Input Attributes    false

#4 2017-10-11 17:08:27

maximebrmd
2017-09-21

Hello Paulk,

This is strange, your browser should support HTML5. I don't get it. It's happen just when your trying to upload some picture ?

- Maxime

#5 2017-10-11 18:19:54

paulk
2017-10-09

I don’t see the error anywhere else, and I can upload pics in other (far less convenient) ways.

#6 2017-10-12 04:03:05

Steel Rat
2017-10-10

I have this problem as well. But only with users not with Admin. I've installed the Community plugin, and allowed all registered users to upload, but this error prevents that. The box to drag files into doesn't display, instead the message "Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support" shows.

#7 2017-10-12 04:12:03

Steel Rat
2017-10-10

Ok, this looks like a problem with the Community plugin.

As soon as I limit the amount of disk space for registered users, the HTML5 message displays instead of the upload box.

So, a quick fix is to limit number of files as needed, but not limit disk space.

Just need to work out how to report a bug with the Community plugin.

#8 2017-10-13 17:29:01

paulk
2017-10-09

I don't have the community plugin... it's got to be something else.

#9 2020-10-10 21:15:52

RobertAbrams
2020-10-10

I am having the same problem. My Piwigo stopped working, probably because DreamHost upgraded the PHP on my domain. I successfully installed the newest Piwigo version, which is working fine, except uploading in the web interface gives me the "Your browser doesn't support HTML5." type of error.

I have tried several browsers in both older and newer MacOSes, but nothing works.
As far as I know, I do not have any plug-ins installed, just the basic Piwigo.

Anyone have any OS and browser combination that do work?
Other leads on solving this?

Thanks.

Robert

#10 2020-10-14 22:50:23

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

I upload images with Safari 14.0.1 (15610.2.11, 15610) without issue.

Have you looked at the logs of the tested browsers to get an idea of the problem?

If you enjoy Piwigo for iOS…
➤ We would appreciate an AppStore review.
➤ Comments, suggestions ? Tell us on GitHub…
➤ Not yet available in your language ? Help us translate it…

#11 2020-10-19 02:45:15

RobertAbrams
2020-10-10

I am running MacOS 10.13.

As I mentioned before, I was getting the "Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support." error message when trying to upload photos. My self-hosted Piwigo site had recently been manually upgraded from a previous version.

I followed your suggestion to try Safari 14. To do this, I had to upgrade to from MacOS 10.13.2 to 10.13.6. I tried installing Safari 13. I still got the same "Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support." error message.

I then tried installing Safari 14. My Mac allowed me to do this, but then started to have major problems. Safari wouldn't open, and I kept getting odd error messages in the Finder. I tried to reinstall Safari 11 or 13, unsuccessfully. I finally had to restore my MacOS from a back up. This whole process wasted the better part of a day. (I am not saying that this is cryopad's fault, just what happened.) I did have back ups of various kinds, but not of the whole drive immediately before upgrading the MacOS, and the computer hadn't crashed in a way that damaged any document or application files. I also had spare 4 TB hard drives on hand, so in the end I was okay.

So, MORAL OF THE STORY #1: Before installing an OS upgrade, back everything up, so you can revert more easily if you need to.

MORAL OF THE STORY #2: Do not attempt to install Safari 14 if you are running MacOS 10.13.

Then, I created a new sub-domain, MySQL database, etc., and installed a fresh installation of the latest version of the self-hosted Piwigo. This installed smoothly. I was able to upload photos with no problems, using the same browsers and MacOS that had previously given me the "Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support." error message.

THUS, my experience suggests that the "Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support." error is NOT the fault of the browser, but lies somewhere in Piwigo's upgrade installation itself. Where the fault lies, I have no idea. Fortunately, I can live with having two Piwigo installations for now. Given how often this error seems to have been discussed in the Piwigo Forum, it might be worthwhile for someone to track down the source.

If anyone knows how to port photos and albums from one Piwigo installation to another, and wants to post it in this thread, that would be most appreciated. And if there is evidence that this can cause problems, suitable friendly warnings would be appreciated too.

And for that matter, how does one upload other file formats, like PDFs and videos, to a self-hosted Piwigo?

Thanks.

Last edited by RobertAbrams (2020-10-19 02:51:47)

#12 2020-10-19 08:33:37

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

Hi Robert,

Before migrating your photos, you may try to purge caches, perform a maintenance (Repair and optimize database, Reinitialize integrity check) and then replace the potentially buggy Piwigo server app with a fresh installation of the same version of Piwigo.

Of course, backup the current Piwigo app before doing so. You will then know whether the problem comes from an upgrade of the server app (and HTML 5 issue will be fixed) or an upgrade of the database.

#13 2021-01-27 05:19:45

ckayfish
2021-01-25

My daughters have iPhone 6, with max iOS version 12.5.1. Both Chrome & Safari give this error (Your browser doesn't have HTML5 support) on the upload page instead of displaying the upload box, no matter what account is logged in. I have an iPhone 7, iOS 14.4, and we can upload from it without issue, with any account.

With the iOS app not working with an SSL reverse Proxy, we are running short on options unless we upgrade their phones.

Still blown away with the capabilities of this app. You guys have done a great job

--- devOps engineer; sometimes coder. I make your apps run with 99.999% uptime ---

#14 2021-01-27 19:17:00

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

Hi ckayfish,

The current version of the Piwigo iOS app runs on all iOS from 9.3 to 14.x. It is compatible with forward proxies but we did not test reverse proxies. Would you agree to help us try resolving the SSL reverse Proxy incompatibility (with a temporary account on your server)?

In the case where you would use Nginx, did you add "proxy_hide_header Upgrade;" in your configuration?

Cheers

#15 2021-01-27 19:56:51

ckayfish
2021-01-25

@cryopad, it’s specifically uploading that doesn’t work with the iOS app. I provided more details here: https://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30937

I don’t use proxy_hide_header, but I am using sub_filter to do a string replacement for “http://“ to “https://“. I did this to get uploading in the front end to work with web browsers. I’m guessing there might be a similar problem with the app, but it’s interacting with the website differently and still trying to upload with HTTP.

I would be willing to allow access to someone from the piwigo team if they thought it would help. Are you able to see my email address in order to message me, or how would we connect. I am in no hurry and not looking for personal support, just willing to help you guys gather any information you feel might be useful for you in general.

--- devOps engineer; sometimes coder. I make your apps run with 99.999% uptime ---

Board footer