Announcement

#1 2018-08-19 13:43:40

honken
2018-02-26

Viewing pictures through IOS Piwigo app not generating view statistics

Hi!

I have used the IOS Piwigo app quite a bit, both to view and to upload photos. Viewing photos this way does not seem to register any viewing stats though. I have looked both in the History page and through the AStat.2 plugin, and both successfully show all access through browsers, but neither lists access through the IOS app. This has been the case for some time it seems, I'm running the latest version of the IOS app now but this has been consistent before as well. Is this a known issue, or could I have configured something incorrectly?

Piwigo version: 2.9.4
PHP version: 7.0.30-0+deb9u1
MySQL version: 5.5.5-10.1.26-MariaDB-0+deb9u1

#2 2018-08-20 09:22:15

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

Re: Viewing pictures through IOS Piwigo app not generating view statistics

Hi honken,

The iOS app downloads the images in a cache to improve the performance and this may explain the lack of data in stats. A solution might consist in sending stats data to the server when closing the app. I open a ticket on [Github] Piwigo issue #916

Cheers

If you enjoy Piwigo for iOS…
➤ We would appreciate an AppStore review.
➤ Comments, suggestions ? Tell us on GitHub…
➤ Not yet available in your language ? Help us translate it…

#3 2018-08-21 20:28:40

honken
2018-02-26

Thanks Cryopad, and thank you for a great IOS app! Tested things a bit myself tailing the access log and the caching indeed seems to load 1-2 images ahead when looking at them through the app, so stats would be incorrect then I guess unless they are flagged as actually being viewed at some point. Would allowing users to disable the caching be an option, or would that impact the user experience too much? I don't know how it is determined if it should count as views or not on the server side, but I'm guessing it might be related to the user agent or something like that, so maybe that could just be changed for requests that are actual views, and caching requests have a slightly different user agent.

#4 2018-08-21 22:57:18

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

Hi honken,

Sorry for the lack of clarity. The iOS app downloads images using their URLs, not through a PHP method of the Piwigo server. So the stats cannot be updated. You have raised an issue and that is why I have opened a ticket for requesting an API method allowing third party apps like the iOS app to update statistics on a regular basis.

If you wish to convince yourself, reduce the cache sizes (disk and memory) to the minimum values of 10 MB in the Settings section. The iOS app will only cache recently downloaded images and will remain "slow" when you come back to albums visited earlier. There will be no effect on the stats as if you had selected the max cache sizes.

All the best

#5 2021-01-25 17:38:51

dadoc
2020-06-24

Hi,
I was just trying to analyze the same issue discribed in this thread, as almost all of the users of my Piwigo installation access via the apps, and I couldn't believe that the log files were almost empty.
I've just updated to Piwigo 11 and the new iOS app version, but things seem to be the same as in 2018.
Any news on this?
Best regards
Martin

#6 2021-01-25 23:16:58

cryopad
Piwigo Team
Grenoble, France
2015-11-01

Yes, you are right. There is no progress on this side yet.
Let's hope that @plg et al. will find some time to develop the required API.

Board footer