Announcement

#1 2018-10-06 16:23:33

panda
2018-10-06

mount/nework share albums

Dear piwigo users,

I only installed piwigo several days ago and loaded a few photos.

As far as I understood the concept, "gallery" is a collection of "physical" photographs and "album" is a view into the physical collection. This concept allows creation of views without data duplication.

Maybe I am thinking incorrectly, I would like to use piwigo to create views of the galleries (as above) and then be able to use the photos from the view/album as an input for other work. Ideally without making a copy of the album/view.

So I thought, it would be good if it were possible to access the album via a network share. Or for example, if piwigo could create symbolic links from an album photo to some local directory which then be accessible via network.

The work flow I imagine is this:
1. dump all photos from camera (or other source) into gallery
2. call sync inside piwigo to add new photos
3. review the galleries and create albums based on some criteria
4. access photos from an album via a network share for processing
5. put results of processing somewhere...

it is the step #4 I am most interested .
in $5 it would be good to have it in the same piwigo installation and somehow link it with the original image in the album/gallery, but this is at a later stage.

I am relatively sure that it is possible to write a script which would scan piwigo database and create the needed links. Does something like this exist? If something like this does not exist, would someone provide guidance how to create the script?

Thanks

panda

#2 2018-10-26 15:29:45

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: mount/nework share albums

Piwigo is mostly about "virtual" albums: you upload your photos and they go into the 'upload' folder with a 'year/month/day/random-name.jpg' structure. There are people (like me) that use purely physical albums (specific folder structure on disk that is then mirrored in Piwigo via "Synchronize").

So yes, it sounds like physical albums is what you want to do. Here's what I've posted before about the kind of setup you're looking for:

I do something similar. In my setup, all of my folders/photos reside on my NAS which is mounted to the Linux server. You can create a symlink under /usr/local/piwigo/galleries pointing to the mount location where your photos are (in my case, I have several symlinks there). Then when you use the FTP synchronization (under Tools > Synchronize) it will add all of the folders there as albums and all the photos as well (this will probably take a while the first time).

What I also do is symlink the /usr/local/piwigo/_data directory to a location on my NAS as this is where all the thumbnails will be saved. I didn't want those on the local Linux server drive so I symlinked it out to a different location.

Hope that points you in the right direction ...

#3 2018-10-27 08:35:29

executive
2017-08-16

Re: mount/nework share albums

It sounds like you want to use Piwigo for asset management. Maybe you can find a way to do it, but it will be far from ideal. There is undoubtedly better ways to go about it. Piwigo is intended as a place to showcase your finished, processed files. I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, I'm just trying to set the right expectations.

Last edited by executive (2018-10-27 08:36:01)

Board footer