Announcement

#1 2019-08-02 09:55:45

leoly88
2019-08-02

[Q]Piwigo self hosting, a few questions before i jump in?

Hey,

I have been reading within the sub and some of the documentation for Piwigo as i want to set up a gallery.

What i can't seem to find at this time is whether I can set up this and then essentially add my 'pictures' folders which are on one of the drives that I have and use this as my initial location as well as my future storage location.

I read in some of the documentation that it talks about the database creation, can this be done on the OS storage disk with just a link to the hard drive containing the images?

I would like it setup in this manner for a couple of reasons.

- I have a pc running as a file server with images on a drive, which is backed up to a secondary drive within the PC as well as a hard drive at the front of the house.

- If i change my mind i want to be able to just remove piwigio off the file server pc and continue on my already exstablished practices, leaving the folder tree behind essentially untouched.

Last edited by leoly88 (2019-08-02 12:39:27)

#2 2019-08-02 17:28:17

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: [Q]Piwigo self hosting, a few questions before i jump in?

Adding a directory tree is possible using the Site Manager from Admin -> Tools. You'll then need to synchronize the database with the tree under Admin -> Tools -> Synchronize each time you add images to the tree. This is the FTP method described at https://piwigo.org/doc/doku.php?id=user … dd_picture

To move images within such physical albums you probably want to use [extension by windracer] Physical Photo Move

The database you need is MySQL or MariaDB, which can reside on any server within your network, it's talked to using host:port values. There's no "done on the OS storage disk" (whatever that should be).

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2019-08-03 20:23:30

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Like erAck mentioned, what you're describing is using physical albums (instead of virtual albums where all of your photos end up under Piwigo's uploads folder). I prefer to organize my photos in physical albums.

So yes, you can do this. I have all of my photos on a NAS, so under Piwigo's "galleries" folder I created symlinks to the folders on my NAS:

Code:

14:18:46 /usr/local/piwigo/galleries:$ ls -la
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data www-data 4096 Dec 28  2014 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 www-data www-data 4096 Jul 28 20:54 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       26 Dec 28  2014 events -> /mnt/media/Pictures/Events
-rwxr-xr-x  1 www-data www-data 1765 Apr 24  2017 index.php
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       24 Dec 28  2014 misc -> /mnt/media/Pictures/Misc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       26 Dec 28  2014 people -> /mnt/media/Pictures/People
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     root       26 Dec 28  2014 places -> /mnt/media/Pictures/Places
14:18:47 /usr/local/piwigo/galleries:$

Each of those main folders contains multiple sub-folders, but those four are the top hierarchy of my gallery. (you can get a sense of this by checking out my gallery here: https://www.windracer.net/photos). When adding new photos to the site, I put the files into the appropriate sub-folder on the NAS and then run a synchronize in Piwigo so they're added into the database.

If you were move a photo/file from one physical album to another, and then run another sync, Piwigo would delete the entry for the photo in the database (since it's no longer in Folder A) and create a new one (in Folder B) which would lose any metadata you added (tags, descriptions, etc.). That's why I wrote the Physical Photo Move extension erAck referred to.

Hope that helps.

#4 2019-08-11 01:34:14

Alexander83706
Boise
2019-07-07

yes, that is the way I tried to have mine set up. I was having problems with the presentation of the photo's . I could get only about 2 to 300 of them to display.  The entire 5000 simply wasn't showing.

I had directories under directories and all were under galleries. All symlinked.

Still had problems. Since then I have reloaded my operating system. So will give it a go in a couple of days to see what I get.

Board footer