Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » XMP read and write support

#1 2019-09-04 21:03:23

gmelchett
2019-09-04

XMP read and write support

Hi,

I'm about to digitalize my grand parents photo albums and I want to share these photos with my relatives.
Piwigo is the leading candidate on all areas except the lack of XMP metadata support.

The reason why I find XMP metadata support very important is that I hope my children and other relatives
children will keep these digitalized photos for the future.
I believe that JPEG images with EXIF and XMP will be readable in say fourty years, but I wouldn't bet on any
specific piece of software to be usable.
It will be a joint collaboration between (living relatives:-) on getting the data of photos of long gone relatives
correct, and therefore writing changes of for example the title and description to the XMP metadata is important.
(In 50 years, who will care what camera was used? It is far more important who is on the photo and there
comes the description in. Which makes XMP much most important than EXIF IMHO)
While piwigo might serve us well for the next 100 years, I want to be able to just copy the directories containing
all JPEG images and important data will come along with these images.

Thanks.

#2 2019-09-05 00:14:01

executive
2017-08-16

Re: XMP read and write support

Your metadata will be safe and sound. Use whatever metadata software you like.  Even if Piwigo can't read it now, it doesn't touch your original files.

40 years is a long time. We can only dream about what kind of media people will be using.

•  » Requests
  •  » XMP read and write support

Board footer