Announcement

#1 2019-12-23 14:06:30

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

€6000 raised for Piwigo

Two weeks ago, the piwigo.org website was offline for almost an hour. The Paypal account was empty and the automatic renewal from our host OVH was refused.
This led us to send a call for donations via our newsletter. And the results were beyond our expectations: in 48 hours, we received 600 donations, for a total of nearly €6000!

https://piwigo.org/screenshots/newsletter/paypal-account-blurred.jpg

Your collective action blown us away. Piwigo is obviously more than a free software: it's above all a community and you showed it by your immediate reaction.
So first of all, thank you to all the generous donors: if you accept to participate financially to the adventure, it's because Piwigo is providing you an appropriate help, and that's the best reward for the contributors.

We now have about 2 years of operating expenses in cash. It's important for us to be able to count on this stability.

Some people have rightly wondered why Piwigo.com doesn't fund Piwigo.org's expenses. In practice this is what we had to do in 2019, but it's not what we want. You have to understand that these are two separate entities:

* on the one hand, the Piwigo association takes care of the technical infrastructure that allows to publish, promote and support free (and gratis) Piwigo software;
* on the other hand, a company that markets offers that provide Piwigo in SaaS mode, that is to say with hosting, maintenance, updates and support included.

These two entities are legally distinct. The Piwigo association is and must remain financially autonomous, so that the project can continue to exist independently of Piwigo.com.

We are very proud of your involvement at the end of this year, it's heartwarming. And if you didn't donate, we love you anyway!

https://piwigo.org/screenshots/newsletter/thank-you.jpg

Pierrick Le Gall, founder of Piwigo & Damien Thomas, president of the Piwigo association

PS : it is still possible to make a donation, at any time with this link

#2 2019-12-24 01:41:08

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

Re: €6000 raised for Piwigo

That's amazing, but well-deserved. Congratulations and Happy New Year!

#3 2019-12-24 12:13:54

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

I did not donate because I feel the issues posted on the forums are getting too little attention.

Having said that I am glad you got some funds and that development continues.

#4 2019-12-24 22:00:51

executive
2017-08-16

Your issues must be pretty bad that you don't get any value at all from the software, not to mention use of the forum and website, all provided to you for free. Hopefully someday you can find something that truly satisfies you.

#5 2019-12-25 10:27:23

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

homdax wrote:

I did not donate because I feel the issues posted on the forums are getting too little attention.

Well... OK, have a merry christmas :-)

#6 2019-12-25 10:28:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

A bit of an update... we've sent the "call for donation" to the German community too and we received (for now) another 2k€ :-)

#7 2019-12-26 10:40:18

homdax
Sweden
2015-02-02

executive wrote:

Your issues must be pretty bad that you don't get any value at all from the software, not to mention use of the forum and website, all provided to you for free. Hopefully someday you can find something that truly satisfies you.

I get huge praise for my selection of software, and my usage of it, but if by value you mean any kind of monetary contribution from my audience, that would be zero. I have always aimed to use FOSS whenever possible, I have managed development and communities around that for many years, even before GIT was a "thing".

However I am not only referring to my issues, that would be exceedingly self centered. A lot of questions and issues on the forums remain unanswered or could need some kind of clarification.

I think I have donated in the past and will do again, I know very well the difficulties involved in financing your hours despite not wanting to put a price tag on the software you produce.

Now, having said that I have used Piwigo for a number of years and I am overall very happy with the platform and wouldn't change it lightly. But when I get people to commit to help me out on my sites and they suddenly are unable to use a specific function like Community to actively do just that (community contributions are after all key to my content and have been since 2003 when I started this work, then on Gallery), well, it is not good. Gives a bad impression and I had to resort to excuses and workarounds instead of just letting people upload their images.

One tiny function that happens to be important to my Piwigo solution, while the remaining 99% is still excellent work.

plg. let there be no doubt, I love the work you guys are doing and I promote Piwigo whenever relevant.

#8 2020-01-04 19:06:41

George DeCamp

Just donated, better late than never!

#9 2020-01-06 10:21:48

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

George DeCamp wrote:

Just donated, better late than never!