Announcement

#1 2006-06-28 16:21:11

thomas810
2006-06-27

migrating database

I have been working on migrating my program and database to a new server (ran out of space on the old one). In this process I have been going from 1.3 to the latest and greatest... however, I have a problem. The new server seems to "loose" many of my virtual categories and picture that I have done... there are about 4000 picture links which are not being displayed in the new website (I have 16000+ images in the old site identified). When I look in the gallery folder where I store the graphics and thumbnails... they are there...

I remember a while back I ran into a problem where I needed to update some code to increase the upper limit of the virtual categories I could have. I am not able to find that post here... but wonder if that is the problem.

The new website seems to function fine but is just missing a bunch of categories--I dont look forward to redoing the categories and associations I have done... It has taken years to get this site to where it is.

Thanks for any help...

Thom

#2 2006-06-28 20:35:10

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: migrating database

thomas810 wrote:

... from 1.3 to the latest and greatest...

Thom,

Which one are speaking? 1.5.2 or 1.6.0RC2 (in beta test)?

If you want to move from one server to another and if you want to loose nothing:

- Export tables from 1.3
- Import tables into 1.3 tables (with same prefix)
- Move directories
- Update /include/mysql.inc.php to update host, db, user, pwd

If you want 1.5.2:
- Upgrade to 1.4.x
- Upgrade to 1.5.2

If you accept 1.6.0RC2, directly upgrate to it.

Upgrade: Have a look in /doc/README_en.txt

You will run upgrade.php and follow all directives.
Please make a full tables backup prior to each upgrade.

8-)

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2006-06-28 20:41:07

thomas810
2006-06-27

Thanks for the rely but I did that already... I successfully got it working in 1.5... but it did not show all the virtual directories... I thought I did something wrong in the upgrade process so I started over... blew away the entire directory... cleared out the mysql...  took the 1.3 unpacked it uploaded it... got it working ... then downloaded my mysql files from the old server and uploaded them to the new server... the 1.3 is working but still not showing all virtual directories. There are about 4000 pictures in various directories missing.

I'm not sure but I remember having problems with virtual directores before. There was some trick that someone sent me which extended the ability of the program to show virtual directiores. I believe this to be the problem but unsure how to do this process again.

Thanks...

#4 2006-06-28 20:58:33

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Thom,

I am a bit surprised about your doubts in virtual categories (not directories) because I use them.
And they are largely used by all our French users.

Nevermind!
Enjoy PWG !!!

8-)

PS: Maybe your are missing something.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#5 2006-06-28 21:08:32

thomas810
2006-06-27

Virtual directories [VD] are great... I use this program specifically because of this feature... My family photo archive is where I use them... I use them to place a picture in multiple categories to make it easy for people to find pictures they are looking for... for instance a picture of me shot on my birthday while on vacation might be placed in a VD organized by date of picture, a VD organized by Birthday celebration year, a Person VD organized by family name, a VD containing pictures of my vacation, and a favorites VD (if appropriate).

I also have a lot of genealogy pictures on this site... I have them cross referenced to help people find them also. However... doing this cross referencing makes for many VD categories.

I know that the 1.3 has a limitation of the number of directories it can support. There is a fix but I can't seem to locate it... it was a simple adjustment to some setting but what it is, I don't know or remember.

I am sure that is the problem which is why I am missing some of my directories. What makes me think this more is that all directories I created about 2 years ago on are missing... that is about the time I hit the wall for program directories and made that change.

Any help on this would be great...

Thanks,

Thom

#6 2006-06-29 19:00:01

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Enjoy PWG.
8-)

and
Virtual... categories.

8-)

Board footer