Announcement

#1 2010-01-02 00:14:11

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

Plugin removal behavior

HI

I realized that when you uninstal a plugin, you are not warned about losing related data. This may be good to have a popup warning about potential data loss when uninstalling a plugin.

It occurs to me when trying to upgrade typet@gs. I deactivated the plugin, whihc is ok. Willing to be clean, i choose to uninstall  before reinstall => all settings lost, no warning, no way back (apart from database backup).

Do you think it's worth a Mantis' issue ?

Cheers

Mathias

#2 2010-01-02 09:12:00

VDigital
Former Piwigo Team
Paris (FR)
2005-05-04

Re: Plugin removal behavior

Reasonable but...

You (personally) should be aware, rvelices and I explained several times "Do not uninstall your plugins!",
RV Maps and Earth for example, will remove lat and lon columns from the picture table.

Piwigo.com: Start and run your own photo gallery. Signup and get 30 days to try for free, no commitment.
8-)

#3 2010-01-02 10:06:42

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

The authors of the plugins can also provide the option to uninstall : delete or keep the tables?

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2010-01-03 23:43:41

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

VDigital wrote:

Reasonable but...

You (personally) should be aware, rvelices and I explained several times "Do not uninstall your plugins!",
RV Maps and Earth for example, will remove lat and lon columns from the picture table.

I, maybe, but all the other users doing an upgrade ?
rvelices said that, but not everybody were here :-)
When a new version of typet@gs or RV M&E comes out, there is a risk. One more warning does not seem too much to me.

ddtddt wrote:

The authors of the plugins can also provide the option to uninstall : delete or keep the tables?

Yes, but what do you do about the already published ones and about the ones where the publisher forget it.

Board footer