Announcement

•  » Themes
  •  » Premium theme

#1 2010-07-10 13:35:10

developer
Honolulu, HI (United States)
2010-06-19

Premium theme

Does anybody want to get Premium theme for free but with mandatory links in the footer? May be 3 links with mandatory "do follow" links. basically I need it for SEO and can trade some of my skills for it.

The questions is if it would work for people. Also I am just curious, is anybody need premium there for $? if so how much you will be willing to pay. This is just brainstorm topic, no services is offered at the moment.

I just want to hear your opinion about free/paid options.

Thank you!

400+ Magento Themes, each Magento template includes PSD file. See our gallery!

#2 2010-07-11 00:22:30

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Premium theme

Hi developer,

There are several interesting ideas in your post.

1) "premium" themes is generally understood as "not for free" themes. You won't find any on piwigo.org/ext but I know that some themes have been created for specific needs.

2) "links in the footer" is already used in [extension by plg] Simple Grey.

3) there is a difference between creating a specific theme for money and selling a generic theme. Having themes on sale on piwigo.org/ext is not in the roadmap (it doesn't mean it's forbidden to distribute them on your own website)

Creating a specific theme is a matter of how many hours you will have to work on it. Selling a generic theme is a matter of how much a Piwigo user is ready to pay for having a theme he can't find for free.

#3 2010-07-11 00:37:55

developer
2010-06-19

plg, thanks for response.

1) Good point, that's what I am trying to find out, if people need high quality free theme or they rather pay money for it.

2) it is good that it is used =) I can do probably something similar, if that's the way to go.

3) I am not talking about custom theme, more like a template. Custom theme would cost from $3000, which is not realistic for most people here.

Anybody who is interested in high quality themes please write here. It is preferable if you would mention your website name here or with private message.

Thank you!

#4 2010-07-13 05:05:25

developer
2010-06-19

Any other suggestions/ideas?

#5 2010-07-19 23:27:24

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I'm currently reading and listening debates between Matt Mullenweg (WordPress founder) and Chris Pearson (Thesis Premium Theme creator). The problem is that Thesis WP theme is not distributed as a GPL software while it's built on top of WordPress which is GPL. And GPL license is "viral".

I agree with Matt Mullenweg : Wordpress themes and plugins must be distributed with the GPL license. I feel exactly the same concerning Piwigo even if this subject has not been really discussed before as far as I remember.

It doesn't mean you can't sell a premium theme, it just mean you have to distribute it with GPL license.

developer, do you plan to sell premium themes compatible with the GPL license?

#6 2010-07-22 12:49:38

saimon
2006-12-04

Hi,
I read quickly this story about Wordpress and Thesis, and one important point is that only the "template" files (the files that use Wordpress' api) must be released under GPL. The others files (css, js , images) can have another licence.

#7 2010-07-22 14:47:07

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

saimon wrote:

Hi,
I read quickly this story about Wordpress and Thesis, and one important point is that only the "template" files (the files that use Wordpress' api) must be released under GPL. The others files (css, js , images) can have another licence.

You're right saimon. What I don't know yet is the wordpress.org/extend/themes policy: do they publish not 100% GPL themes there? (I mean themes that are GPL for *.tpl/*.php files and something else for *.png/*.css/*.js files)

#8 2010-07-22 21:45:16

saimon
2006-12-04

I don't know ...

#9 2010-07-26 00:26:01

developer
2010-06-19

I agree, probably for your project it is best to keep it completely open source.
As for .com version of your project, you can use the idea of premium templates to generate additional profit by customization services or "Premium" service, you've got the idea.

Last edited by developer (2010-07-26 00:26:23)

•  » Themes
  •  » Premium theme

Board footer