Announcement

#1 2010-07-28 03:09:55

developer
Honolulu, HI (United States)
2010-06-19

Piwigo is awesome

Thank you y'all and special thanks for Plg for giving the world such great platform. I think it is mature enough for any project. I did some customization of Piwigo. I made it more Search Engine friendly, by writing custom plugin. Also created custom theme and adjusted some code.

Magento is an open-source ecommerce web application. Magento themes help people to get started fasted and in an inexpensive way. My website have large selection of Magento templates and themes, we have premium and free magento templates. You can download it with source code and Photoshop files.

Check it out and let me know what do you think. Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated.

400+ Magento Themes, each Magento template includes PSD file. See our gallery!

#2 2010-07-30 12:31:13

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Piwigo is awesome

Hi developer,

I really like the way you've made your Piwigo so specific. It's hard for me to be sure it really is Piwigo behind it and the result is impressive. Congratulations!

I only have one negative feedback: the thumbnail quality is too low :-/ Can't you improve them? (how did you create thumbnails?)

#3 2010-07-30 12:38:23

developer
2010-06-19

plg, it really is piwigo behind it =)

Can you explain why quality of thumbnails is your concern?
The idea to keep the quality of thumbnails low, so that pages will load faster. When I tried to use more details per thumbnail it didn't add any value, because it is not photos, but was 2-3 times heavier. Idea behind thumbnail it to get general idea of the layout of the template and pictures and then click on it and get details and high resolution image.

I created thumbnails manually for best performance.

Last edited by developer (2010-07-30 12:39:12)

#4 2010-07-30 12:54:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I agree that higher quality means heavier thumbnails but my feeling is that the quality is currently too low.

Concerning page weight, on this page: http://www.magento-templates.com/premiu … arts-shop/ the screenshot is 100KB. On your index page, you have 15 thumbnails and if each thumbnail was twice as heavy, it would mean 120KB (15*8KB). It's not very different.

Your thumbnail (4KB)
http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115167&filename=classic-jewelry-tn0.jpg

A higher quality thumbnail (8KB)
http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115167&filename=classic-jewelry-tn3.jpg

#5 2010-07-30 13:00:35

developer
2010-06-19

plg,

tell me what do you see in higher quality thumbnails? =) I just don't see it. Is it hard for you to see it?
I am asking because I have a good vision, may be for other people it's hard to see.

Soon I will modify index page, it will be under 60K probably. Users can wait for 100K to load, when they click on thumbnail, but not on 1st visit =) depends on user and connection of course ;) It is not a problem to make thumbnails with better quality. May be I will do some usability testing to see if others have same issue as you are.

Thank you for your feedback =)
I appreciate your time, that you spent on comparison and all of the stuff =)

#6 2010-07-30 13:16:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

developer wrote:

tell me what do you see in higher quality thumbnails? =) I just don't see it. Is it hard for you to see it?

The higher quality thumbnail is much sharper. In my eyes and with my screen it is really obvious.

developer wrote:

I am asking because I have a good vision, may be for other people it's hard to see.

I asked another people (P@t and ron) and they also told me that thumbnails were too blurry. But 3 people is not enough, try to get more feedback.

developer wrote:

Soon I will modify index page, it will be under 60K probably. Users can wait for 100K to load, when they click on thumbnail, but not on 1st visit =)

On my 1680*1050 screen (so we can say "big" screen), I can only see the first 9 thumbnails. If you're looking for lightweight, maybe reducing the number of thumbnails on each page is a solution to think about.

#7 2010-07-30 15:21:00

pbp
QLD, Australia
2010-07-30

I have to agree with plg, the thumbnails are noticeably soft.

Although the page loads near intstanly, I'd be happy to wait a sec or two for an overall sharper appearance to the hompage.

But I guess a lot does depend on the users connection.

#8 2010-07-30 21:16:38

developer
2010-06-19

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will take it into consideration and will improve it soon =)

#9 2010-07-30 22:07:22

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

developer wrote:

Sorry to interfere ; your theme is really nice, but why did you remove the "powered by Piwigo" footer message ?

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

#10 2010-07-30 22:10:44

developer
2010-06-19

LucMorizur wrote:

developer wrote:

Sorry to interfere ; your theme is really nice, but why did you remove the "powered by Piwigo" footer message ?

So that I will have competitive advantage and it is more secured this way. If it would be obvious for my competitors what platform I am using, they can try to replicate it. I don't know anybody in my niche who uses Piwigo and I want to keep it as my secret weapon ;)

#11 2010-08-03 09:40:29

developer
2010-06-19

I improved quality of the pictures.
Is it better now? How is loading time?

#12 2010-08-03 10:14:09

pbp
QLD, Australia
2010-07-30

Yeah, thumbs definitely look better now.

Loading time is about 1-2 secs for the thumbs to display once the page has opened, my internet is nothing special though.

#13 2010-08-03 10:24:57

developer
2010-06-19

Cool, thanks for feedback. I analyzed the way it loads it. It is not irritating I think, because thumb images loads on the page that is already open, not just all white =) I mean when it's nothing to see it's really irritating for users and feels like for ever.

#14 2010-08-12 23:59:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

developer wrote:

I improved quality of the pictures.
Is it better now? How is loading time?

The page is much better with improved quality on thumbnails :-)
I can't tell you exactly how long it take to load, but it's fast enough and I'm on the other side of earth I believe (unless your server is in Europe)

Board footer