•  » improving default display for photo information

#1 2010-07-27 19:47:25

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

improving default display for photo information

Hi Piwigo Community,

I often hear about the "not so perfect" layout of photo informations on the "picture.php" page. I'm talking about that:

http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115092&filename=photo_infos_2.1.png

This afternoon, I made some test to improve this default display (for core themes I mean: Sylvia, clear, dark). Themes like Simple* or Gally* are not concerned because they alerady have a much better layout for photo informations, in my opinion.

So here is my test:
http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115092&filename=photo_infos_show-20100727.png
when you click on "Show information", it then displays:
http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115092&filename=photo_infos_hide-20100727.png

What's your opinion about it?

Uploaded Images

Latest blog post (November 9th 2018) Why Flickr could not remain free for ever

#2 2010-07-29 12:21:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: improving default display for photo information

I'm still working on photo information. I have designed a block with tabs. Inspired by Gally* themes.

http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115129&filename=photo_notab.png
http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115129&filename=photo_properties.png
http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=115129&filename=photo_comments.png

Uploaded Images

#3 2010-07-29 16:10:23

mol
Piwigo Team Germany
germany
2010-05-26

Inspired by Gally* themes.

this looks great

#4 2010-07-31 00:12:41

Gotcha
Piwigo Team
Pourrières (83) [FR]
2007-03-14

What disturbs me, it is that one must choose to post EITHER information, OR comments.
Personally, I will like to see posted two blocs…

#5 2010-08-01 06:34:15

ooooo
2010-07-20

how to do??i want to show the imfomation like you

#6 2010-08-01 09:45:45

Gotcha
Piwigo Team
Pourrières (83) [FR]
2007-03-14

ooooo wrote:

how to do??i want to show the imfomation like you

Work in progress for a futur version of Piwigo.

#7 2010-08-26 20:19:44

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

Gotcha wrote:

What disturbs me, it is that one must choose to post EITHER information, OR comments.
Personally, I will like to see posted two blocs…

+1

The new proposed designs are nice, but if the second one is chosen, it would be nice to be able to select whether comments are displayed in a tab or below the image properties.

But, that should normally then be an improvement of [extension by gbo] Look_like_Gbo 2.

Anyway it's a nice project :-)

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

#8 2010-08-26 20:43:59

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

It must read noël and and noêl. :-)

#9 2010-08-26 23:47:07

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Gotcha wrote:

What disturbs me, it is that one must choose to post EITHER information, OR comments

I like the fact that it doesn't show too many information at the same time.

What's important when you post a comment is previous comments, don't you think? then do you really need to read photo informations when you're writing your comment?

#10 2010-08-27 03:02:08

grum
Piwigo Team
Nantes
2007-09-10

plg wrote:

What's important when you post a comment is previous comments, don't you think? then do you really need to read photo informations when you're writing your comment?

+1

About this new feature, in the next release of Gally (1.3.2) I have implemented something to be abble to display some raw informations in the tabs, allowing to display something like this (cf. picture).

For the plugin AdvancedMetadata, I inject data into the {$metadata} variable, using the metadata structure to displlay info (it works and it looks like piwigo)
For the plugin GMaps (you don't know it because it is not yet published) I inject some special values in the structure of the {$metadata} variable, and add an ugly thing into the template :

Code:

{if isset($metadata)}
    {foreach from=$metadata item=meta key=id}
    <div id="imageMeta{$id}" class="imageMeta tabPanel">
      <div id="imageMetaContainer{$id}">
        <div class="imageMetaBg">&nbsp;</div>

{if count($meta.lines)>0 and !array_key_exists('<!--rawContent-->', $meta.lines)}     <===== Ugly trick : testing what is in the structure
          <table id="displaymeta{$id}" class="displaymeta infoTable">                         <===== If classic, using classic display
            {foreach from=$meta.lines item=value key=label name=metaloop}
              {if ($smarty.foreach.metaloop.iteration-1) % #metaNumCols# == 0}
                {if !$smarty.foreach.metaloop.first}</tr>{/if}
                {if !$smarty.foreach.metaloop.last}<tr>{/if}
              {/if}
              <td class="label">{$label|@translate}</td>
              <td class="value">{$value}</td>
            {/foreach}
          </table>
        {else}                                                                                <===== else if the label equals "<!--rawContent-->"
          {assign var='empty' value='<!--rawContent-->'}                                      <===== just display data as raw content
          {$meta.lines.$empty}
        {/if}
      </div>
    </div> <!-- imageMeta -->
    {/foreach}
    {/if}

It would be a good thing if in your improvment, you can think about a clean system allowing to do something like this...
:-D

Uploaded Images

My pictures with Piwigo, of course !
[ www.grum.fr ] [ photos.grum.fr ]

#11 2010-08-27 18:38:58

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

plg wrote:

Gotcha wrote:

What disturbs me, it is that one must choose to post EITHER information, OR comments

YES I need !
1- See "casual people" : they will not see/understand the tabs. they will only scroll and see the info displayed first. So it's not user friendly
2- ALL the people scroll and read the first info displayed, in order to judge the quality/relevance of the page/photo

The blog, the social site and many many site are made on the same template : the comments are under the content to comment and the info on the right or just under the content also ; deviant art ( http://flop25.deviantart.com/#/d2969kb ), flickr (they just have a new structure http://www.flickr.com/photos/journaldugeek/4620624471/ ) .... So a click just to see the comments and one more to see the info without seeing the comments at the same time, we obtain finally a lot of limitation/restriction.
what I suggest : a "show more info" (no show all) -maybe on a menu on one side-  and in the admin part, a page to manage what will be displayed, because the use of piwigo are numerous and a photograph will want lot's of info whereas a family wants only few info. Remember that we have many post on the forum about "how hide/showing that" and "In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors over specifiers over theoretical purity." ;)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#12 2010-08-28 22:37:46

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

flop25 wrote:

plg wrote:

YES I need !
1- See "casual people" : they will not see/understand the tabs. they will only scroll and see the info displayed first. So it's not user friendly
2- ALL the people scroll and read the first info displayed, in order to judge the quality/relevance of the page/photo

+1

flop25 wrote:

what I suggest : (...) in the admin part, a page to manage what will be displayed, because the use of piwigo are numerous and a photograph will want lot's of info whereas a family wants only few info. Remember that we have many post on the forum about "how hide/showing that" and "In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors over specifiers over theoretical purity." ;)

+1

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

•  » Themes
  •  » improving default display for photo information

Board footer