•  » piwigo.org with a clear background

#1 2010-08-13 19:38:16

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

piwigo.org with a clear background

Hi Piwigo Community,

Here we talk about the piwigo.org theme (colors and layout), not about the Piwigo theme.

Each time I show piwigo.org to someone new, the first reaction is always the same: how is it possible to read with such colors?. I think at least 20 or 30 different people have advised me to change for a white (or clear) background. In the same time, nearly all of them were saying that the current black background is beautiful, the problem is that it is not comfortable for reading.

We just can't ignore them.

For quite a long time, I thought that having the same theme on piwigo.org compared to Piwigo theme was important, but now I think it's not: I even think that it's good to make the difference so that visitors don't get confused about where the presentation website stops and where Piwigo starts. I've seen many websites with a different style for the website and for the software. It is important that the presentation website is easy for reading and finding information. Piwigo is for photos while piwigo.org is for text, we should keep this important fact in mind.

So I've been playing with CSS and here is the first result I can show you.

1) homepage and download page. There is a style switcher on bottom, we can test several colors.

2) forum, new colors and simpler (I took the orange from the several stylesheets but it doesn't mean other colors are rejected)

3) extensions

4) documentation

(The logo is not the end result, I just wanted something simpler and more related to photography)

Is this "clear background" theme more readable?

Please feel free to give your opinion. The discussion is open to anyone, not just to Piwigo team members :-)

#2 2010-08-13 22:25:44

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: piwigo.org with a clear background

I've fixed bugs in the provided links, thank you ddtddt for notification.

#3 2010-08-14 18:37:40

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

it's too cold and geeky ... there is a lack of extravagance with floral compositions .... but the color palette is great.

I don't like the logo similar to the .com . It's not the similarity but the style

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#4 2010-08-14 19:12:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

flop25 wrote:

I don't like the logo similar to the .com . It's not the similarity but the style

OK. So you don't like the logo. Period.

I wrote that it was not the final logo. A new logo will come.

#5 2010-08-14 21:27:53

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

Logo is important I think, and clearly it can be improved.

That's right that some "fun" lacks a little bit. But this is a far more critical subject, as it will be -- I think -- far more difficult to make everyone agree on the kind of "fun" to add.

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

#6 2010-08-18 12:48:18

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I've added a "style_brown.css" CSS stylesheet on http://piwigo.us/mockup

I find it good, but I prefer the white background.

#7 2010-08-19 11:25:02

nicolas
Former Piwigo Team
2004-12-30

Actual theme had many problems : difficult to read, displayed awfully on large screen, ... But visual identity is easy to remember. People often dislikes it but they agree that they remember it. They didn't something like that anywhere.

But I agree a clear background would be better even it will become more usual. My preferred one is the green one :
http://piwigo.us/mockup/?style=style_da … green2.css

Let's go to change it.

#8 2010-08-24 00:43:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I'm currently working on integrating the new colors to Drupal (which is not the easiest one compared to punBB, PEM or Dokuwiki).

#9 2010-08-25 01:32:19

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Integration into Drupal almost finished (thank you nicolas for your help).

Due to incompatibility between jQuery 1.2.6 and Nivo Slider, I had to upgrade jQuery to version 1.4.2 outside Drupal. Unfortunately Lightbox2 doesn't work with jQuery 1.4.2 so I had to find a replacement and I decided colorbox would be fine (it is the same jQuery plugin as in [extension by P@t] Lightbox).

Unless I find a blocking issue, in the next 24 hours we should have a new color scheme on piwigo.org :-)

#10 2010-08-25 08:38:54

LucMorizur
Vienne (Isère) - France
2009-04-30

We'll see which option has been chosen...

And the winner is...

;-)

Our gallery : Le Site à Nous (a silly name in french, but here I don't care ;-) ! )
An event, a new gallery ? Plugin Event Cats
My test gallery : Tests Piwigo de Luc
Thanksalot for this beautiful project.

#11 2010-08-25 08:54:31

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

LucMorizur wrote:

And the winner is...

orange

In the end, I've been asking 10 people to choose between green and orange and I got : 6 for the orange, 2 for the green (nicolas + LucMorizur), 2 who liked them both.

I keep the white as background color because it "just works" everywhere.

#12 2010-09-09 23:41:58

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

Hi

Is it normal we still have blue links if orange was chosen ?
And I also miss the head links bar in the forum when reading threads because it contains such valuable links as Tags, Timeline and Search, I often use when i want to check some references from links given in posts.

Regards

#13 2010-09-10 00:13:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

mathiasm wrote:

Hi

Hi mathiasm

mathiasm wrote:

Yes it is. Orange for links in the forum was a bit too disturbing for reading if you consider there are many links on a forum page.

mathiasm wrote:

And I also miss the head links bar in the forum when reading threads because it contains such valuable links as Tags, Timeline and Search, I often use when i want to check some references from links given in posts.

OK, so you would like #brdmenu to be visible when browsing on viewtopic.php. I do agree with that.

#14 2010-09-10 17:44:26

mathiasm
Former Piwigo Team
2006-02-06

plg wrote:

mathiasm wrote:

Yes it is. Orange for links in the forum was a bit too disturbing for reading if you consider there are many links on a forum page.

I then would like another color that better matches with orange, grey and white : the green or green2 proposal maybe ?

Mathias

•  » Website
  •  » piwigo.org with a clear background

Board footer