Announcement

#1 2011-04-02 04:13:15

glacious
2011-03-31

Preventing spider / robot / Google indexing your Piwigo site

Is there a way to easily prevent your Piwigo site from being indexed?  Maybe in the form of a single place you can modify a Meta tag to prevent robots from crawling your site and listing it in search engines?

I saw there is a Meta plugin (http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=220), but it's not yet compatible with 2.2...  is there a 'best' way to do this?

Thanks

#2 2011-04-02 08:13:07

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Re: Preventing spider / robot / Google indexing your Piwigo site

[extension by ddtddt] Meta is compatible with Piwigo 2.2

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#3 2011-04-03 18:09:42

glacious
2011-03-31

nice, looks like it was updated quickly :)  Thanks.

Is this the recommended way to prevent robots from crawling a Piwigo site?  Any specific tags you'd recommend?

#4 2011-04-03 23:29:03

n0kS
The Moon
2011-03-16

glacious wrote:

Is there a way to easily prevent your Piwigo site from being indexed?  Maybe in the form of a single place you can modify a Meta tag to prevent robots from crawling your site and listing it in search engines?

I saw there is a Meta plugin (http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=220), but it's not yet compatible with 2.2...  is there a 'best' way to do this?

Thanks

Hello, the fastest way is to create/modify your robots.txt file.
Just upload a file named robots.txt with:

Code:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

to your http://example.com/piwigo/

#5 2011-04-04 01:20:16

glacious
2011-03-31

thanks n0ks.  I assume "<meta name="robots" content="noindex">" using the Meta plugin above would do the same thing?  And this would be inserted on every page, and not just the web root.

#6 2011-04-04 01:30:05

n0kS
The Moon
2011-03-16

glacious wrote:

thanks n0ks.  I assume "<meta name="robots" content="noindex">" using the Meta plugin above would do the same thing?  And this would be inserted on every page, and not just the web root.

1st. What I told you doesn't need of any additional plugin to make it work.
and
2nd. What you said: "And this would be inserted on every page, and not just the web root." - That doesn't matter in any way. Because when google (or any other crawler bot) access your webpage, the first thing that it does is to look for robots.txt in your root directory and then it looks for your webpage, and finally, your metatags.
By adding more metatags and if it's on every page is irrelevant, as I said.

And if you're going to use metatags, better use: content="noindex,nofollow"

Regards!

Last edited by n0kS (2011-04-04 01:30:42)

Board footer