Announcement

#1 2011-05-23 19:18:59

Irene Eng
New York
2011-05-18

'Private' setting will made the category/album invisible in Admin

Is this way the Piwigo meant or I'm doing something wrong?  I'd think in Admin we should be able to see every single cat or sub cat, regardless it's set as Private or Public?

http://www.photos.ireneeng.com/

The ‘Archives’ category is where I intend to upload pictures that I want to keep most of them private.  However, I would like to see sub and sub-sub categories listed which would help me organize/visualize. 

Sorry if this sounds like dummy .. but I’m actually looking for the Piwigo for Dummies’ Post-Stick at the top .. -:)

Thank you ...
Dummy Eng

#2 2011-05-23 20:56:40

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: 'Private' setting will made the category/album invisible in Admin

you will always be able to access to all of your albums in the administration part
Go to your administration, then go to Album-> Manage-> browse to the album to edit and click on the padlock icon to set who can see what

I suggest you to install on your computer a local version of piwigo where you will be able to test without any consequences, because if you break it, you can install another one.

If you want to contribute of our documentation (by updating it) we will appreciate a lot ^^

Last edited by flop25 (2011-05-23 20:59:22)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2011-05-23 21:13:16

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Irene Eng wrote:

I'd think in Admin we should be able to see every single cat or sub cat, regardless it's set as Private or Public?

Well... this is a very good question. Do the permission system apply to admins? The answer is "yes" currently, but I think more and more that this is not the best choice, because many Piwigo newbies don't understand the way it works.

The problem now is that the permission system has worked this way for many years, so the "set this album as private" has been used to simply hide an album from the gallery side. If we decide that in the future the permissions do not apply to admins, then we would have to add a feature to cleanly "hide this album from gallery".

#4 2011-05-23 22:20:37

Irene Eng
New York
2011-05-18

Sure I'm happy to help.  Pls just keep in mind I really don't know anything - the only Chinese on this planet who doesn't know a computer code.  My only expertise is ask -:( ...

I like your Rules, by far is the best written one.  This is the notes (pw: piwi) I've ben keeping for myself.  IF you think they're useful to other newbies, it'll be a good starting point.  Or IF you already have something set up and just needs updating, I'm happy to do it too, whichever.

Thank you.

#5 2011-05-23 22:27:28

Zaphod
Former Piwigo Team
2006-11-13

plg wrote:

The problem now is that the permission system has worked this way for many years, so the "set this album as private" has been used to simply hide an album from the gallery side. If we decide that in the future the permissions do not apply to admins, then we would have to add a feature to cleanly "hide this album from gallery".

In the past, I had some albums visible to guests and not to admin...
I also wanted some albums to be visible by one admin and not the other admin (as I have 2 admin accounts, one for me, one for my wife).

Maybe a good thing would be to grant access to private albums to all admins, by default, and then to be able to edit the settings afterwards?

#6 2011-05-23 22:29:56

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Zaphod wrote:

Maybe a good thing would be to grant access to private albums to all admins, by default, and then to be able to edit the settings afterwards?

a good point

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#7 2011-05-23 22:34:34

Irene Eng
New York
2011-05-18

http://www.IreneEng.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/piwigo.jpg
The left image, under Archives, 2011 and oldies are set as Public.  The right, 2011 is set as Private hence not showing, even I'm in the Admin mode. I would like to see private sub and sub-sub, etc. categories/albums listed which would help me better organize/visualize.
Thanks.

#8 2011-05-23 22:36:27

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

flop25 wrote:

Go to your administration, then go to Album-> Manage-> browse to the album to edit and click on the padlock icon to set who can see what

again

#9 2011-05-23 23:28:56

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Zaphod wrote:

Yes, good point.

#10 2011-05-23 23:44:14

Irene Eng
New York
2011-05-18

Zaphod wrote:

Yes, this IS a better way bec I don'tt have to go in and change every single album.

Thanks
Irene

Board footer