Announcement

#16 2011-06-13 16:16:16

lisaviolet
san diego, california
2011-01-03

Re: [resolved] Installation failure, lacking php services

plg wrote:

Hi CanaGuy,

What is the name of the directory? "Photos" or "photos"? I suggest you don't use capital letters.

Once you're sure you have the directory "photos", if bdcweb.ca/photos doesn't show anything, then try bdcweb.ca/photos/install.php directly

Ah, come on!  Letter case? That would be way too easy.  ^^

#17 2011-06-13 18:07:04

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

htaccess:  deleted
Photos:  changed to photos
Run browser   bdcweb.ca/photos  or  bdcweb.ca/photos/install.php = Internal Server Error 500 Page Cannot be Displayed

Any issues re: my remote home computer and IE9?  Have cleared temp files, cleared browser histories, set browser security to minimum, popups off, etc

Thanks for help!    Also, since my site is brand new, I could have the SysAdmin reset and start clean, if you think that is recommended, but I don't see why?

CG

#18 2011-06-13 18:21:41

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

By the way, couldn't help noticing......

Inconsistencies between netinstall and manual

Netinstall:  Choose a directory name for your photo gallery on your website. By default, Piwigo will be installed in the directory  "piwigo".

Manual Install:  Create a directory "photos" on your web server. Select all the files and transfer them on your server in the "photos" directory

??

#19 2011-06-13 18:46:14

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

CanaGuy wrote:

Inconsistencies between netinstall and manual

no, you can use piwigo whatever the name of the folder or if it's just at the root of the host

It's an error due to your server which do not respond correctly. Let's see together why !

Can you create a file -a text file with bloc note- in which you write :

Code:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Name it info.php and upload it
Then go to its url ( http://bdcweb.ca/info.php for ex)
What's the result ?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#20 2011-06-13 19:27:30

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

I get a "purple" PHP info page

#21 2011-06-13 19:33:45

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

By the way, it's PHP Version 5.3.6

#22 2011-06-13 19:35:35

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

okay
I'm not a master of php but it seems that you can use piwigo on your host...
hum
well...
what's wrong ? ...

I've read your first post but just to be sure : what's the exact permission on that file http://bdcweb.ca/photos/install.php ?

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described

#23 2011-06-13 19:43:11

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

Reading some of the other posts, I changed "photos" dir and all subs to full "777"

I'm thinking I may clear everything and start over, now that I know PHP should be working.  The only thing is that from the php info page, there may be features turned off that Piwigo requires.  This is too complex a level for me. 

I've got some things to attend to this afternoon, but thanks all for help.  Will attack it later.

Cheers,

CG

#24 2011-06-13 19:49:28

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

One last note....I've been putting "photos" directory in the "public_html" directory.  Perhaps it should be one level higher in my domain root?

Just wondering.

Later tonight, if I can swing it.

CG

#25 2011-06-13 19:51:11

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

CanaGuy wrote:

Reading some of the other posts, I changed "photos" dir and all subs to full "777"

Ok for the folders but the files ?

I know that's very annoying ... for me too ^^

edit :
"I've been putting "photos" directory in the "public_html" directory." ? what did you done before ?
You should have
/public_html
|
L_/ mypiwigo or whatever the name or the location
...L_/admin
...L_/doc
etc
...L_/about.php
etc
...L_/install.php

Last edited by flop25 (2011-06-13 19:59:12)

#26 2011-06-13 21:10:13

T00kie
Translation Team
2011-05-06

i got this cPanel too but different host and even if I create user called "T00kie", I still had to add the prefix. In my case prefix is the login to the cPanel. Did you received login from your host or did you make your own login to cPanel?

While installing piwigo i had to enter:

login: prefix_T00kie
database: prefix_piwigo

maybe this will help you?

#27 2011-06-14 03:23:34

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

flop25 wrote:

Ok for the folders but the files ?

I know that's very annoying ... for me too ^^

edit :
"I've been putting "photos" directory in the "public_html" directory." ? what did you done before ?
You should have
/public_html
|
L_/ mypiwigo or whatever the name or the location
...L_/admin
...L_/doc
etc
...L_/about.php
etc
...L_/install.php

"what did I do before?".....means I deleted, started over, twice.

If I understand your syntax, yes, I put the Piwigo unzipped file package into a dir called "photos", in "public_html" directory.

#28 2011-06-14 03:31:42

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

Tookie wrote:

etc etc

I'm a squeeky clean newbie at HostPapa Web Service.  HP doesn't seem to be a sanctioned user in Piwigo's list of hosts, meaning they don't have a scripted install under Cpanel control for Piwigo.  So, I have submitted a support ticket to HP for some suggestions. 

Yes, I can log into the HP Cpanel.  But you'll have to help me.....I don't understand what HP's Cpanel has to do with my browser failing to trigger a manual install at my new domain.  Are you saying I must be logged into the HP Cpanel for the install to function?

(Thanks for replying, by the way....)

CG

Last edited by CanaGuy (2011-06-14 03:50:56)

#29 2011-06-14 06:01:07

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

Ok......call off the hunting party.  Everything works fine, test album and test photos all ok. 

Thanks to all for pitching in to help a raw recruit!!

Much appreciated. 

Have a feeling I may be back for your expert help again, so, as Marvin Berry said in Back to the Future....."Don't nobody go nowhere"!

Cheers,

CG

#30 2011-06-14 06:32:17

CanaGuy
2011-06-13

Ok, post-mortem.  Here's a quick list of what was killing my install that might help future newbies if you are as dumb as I am...

a. On a manual install, the "photos" directory folder goes directly in your "public_html" folder. Confusion arises when people start calling it "root", or "web root", or directory "root", etc. From a certain perspective, there are many roots at a website.....and the wrong root is the root of all evil.

b. A "500 error" (Page cannot be displayed) usually means there is a permission problem.  Make sure the Piwigo "files" that you unzip and upload have a permission of 644, and the "folders" have a permission of 755.  That goes for the "photos" folder you create, too.  If the permissions are too high, or too low, it can cause 500 errors.

c. A most helpful hint to see if your host's PHP service is working ok, was flop25's post (scroll up a bit) and you should perform it as a check before you generate a lot of unnecessary headaches.

d. I mistakenly confused the "database" password with my regular "Host/domain" password. There's a big difference (duh) and the dB stuff needs to be set up with MySql before you can do anything.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

CG

Board footer