Announcement

#1 2011-07-05 11:32:53

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Piwigo Showcase

I have already written about the Piwigo Showcase, but I would like to "enlarge" its future use: instead of showing only "a few" Piwigo galleries, I would like it to be like a "Piwigo Galleries Directory" where any Piwigo gallery can be listed. The "Showcase" has it was planned at first would only be a subset of featured galleries.

* subscribing to the showcase must be easy for subscribers

* adding the gallery in the showcase must be easy for admins

* each gallery = a photo (screenshot) in a central Piwigo gallery (piwigo.org/showcase), with tags like "nature", "cars", place:USA, place:New-York, language:English, language:German

* in a second step, a Piwigo plugin will display a list of galleries from the showcase in the menubar, see [Forum, topic 16056] piwigo community ring, the idea is to create communities of Piwigo users.

This is not the same project as [Forum, topic 17739] Piwigo Network, the Piwigo Showcase won't display content from remote Piwigo galleries.

Technical Implementation

On subscriber side: I will code the "subscribe to Showcase" as a plugin. In the future, I would like to integrate/activate this plugin by default, in order to make "subscribe to showcase" as easy as possible for users, with a button on administration homepage.

When the user clicks on the button "Subscribe to Showcase", a form asks for details: description of the gallery, tags, message for Showcase admins

On Showcase side: the admin receives pending subscriptions and each one must be validated. A subscription is made of:

* the URL of the gallery
* the name of the author
* a description of the gallery
* a list of tags
* a message to showcase admins

I will write an API method to receive subscriptions.

The admin is responsible for creating the screenshot, with a precise width/height ratio, so that all screenshots have exactly the same size.

A contact form will also be available on the Showcase itself for manual subscription of galleries.

Board footer