Announcement

#1 2012-01-30 14:40:16

unclvito
Florida, USA
1970-01-01

[Plugin] Protected Albums

Official topic for the protected albums plugin. Please log bugs, comments, questions and suggestions here. Also, if you'd like to leave your URL I'd love to see sites using it.

#2 2012-01-30 14:47:21

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: [Plugin] Protected Albums

Hi unclvito,

Really nice plugin: it truly matches the need of many people and the ergonomy is simple and efficient. Congrats, that's the kind of plugin I like :-)

Because I truly tested it, I've found 2 problems:

1) $_ENV['QUERY_STRING'] is not defined on my environment. When I change it to $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'], it works much better

2) it does not apply on sub-albums. I know it's not easy to implement, but as a user, I'm expecting that if I "password protect" Weddings/Melissa and Tom, then Weddings/Melissa and Tom/ceremony is automatically protected too.

#3 2012-01-30 22:00:51

unclvito
Florida, USA
1970-01-01

Both of those items have been fixed. Thank you for your feedback.  Want to check out the new version for me?  Also, I used the field piwigo_categories.uppercats to walk up the subcat hierarchy.  Would you know if that field is safe to use or might it be depricated or used differently in an upcoming version?  Will it always reflect the subalbum's hierarchy?

#4 2012-01-31 05:13:22

NWS
Seattle, WA
2011-04-02

Thanks for writing that. As a photographer it was something I need. Flop25 showed me a "work around" way of doing it, but the user had to register or I had to set up an account for them.  This should be simpler and fewer registered users I have to deal with.

#5 2012-03-06 21:09:44

Darryl
2010-04-27

I think this Extension is fantastic, but I am disappointed that direct links to the photos allow you to bypass the password requirement.

For example, if you enter the password and are now able to view the photos, you can get the URL of the photo and send it to someone else.

If that new person enters the URL into their browser, they are able to load the photo without entering the password.

If someone has the URLs to all the photos because they once had access to the password, but you change the password, they can still access the photos directly by the URL.

I'm not sure if it is even possible to avoid this, but it seems like a bit of a security hole to me.

#6 2012-03-12 03:55:17

unclvito
Florida, USA
1970-01-01

Darryl,
Thanks for the feedback. I completely agree with you. The expectations are that password protecting an album password protects it, right?  I have added it to the list of enhancements that I am planning.  Thank you again for using it and providing feedback.

--Matt

#7 2012-03-12 13:54:19

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi unclvito and Darryl,

I think there are 2 problems:

1) if you have access to the photo, you can share the direct URL to the photo like http://domain.com/upload/2012/02/05/20120205123145-6bf692d3.jpg. Protected Albums can't do anything about that.

2) even if the album is password protected, anybody can reach the photo page without any password, I mean picture.php?/2189/category/44 : this is not very hard to fix. What is much more complex: if the photo can only be viewed from this album, then it must not be visible in any way. For example, with picture.php?/2189 or picture.php?/2189/tags/20-horse

#8 2012-03-12 13:58:37

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Can you add to SVN
Can you add language support

Thanks

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#9 2012-03-25 06:08:29

max_photo

the idea of this plugin is very good. But its very buggy.

If you use same password for two abums, I get parse errors, after de-activating the plugin, gallery started functioning right.

#10 2012-06-06 12:43:04

kaesi_jones
2010-05-27

Hi unclvito,

thank's for developing that extension. By testing it, I found another problem: If you use the "Map & Earth" plugin the place of the protected photo is shown (if available), by choosing it you can see the photo without beeing ask for any password. Maybe this should be fixed, too.

kaesi_jones

#11 2012-06-19 03:09:09

Skip

I'd love to have the ability to use a lock icon in place of the album thumbnail on protected albums. Maybe there's already a way to do that, but I haven't figured it out.

#12 2012-07-03 08:57:51

anarcat

is there a plan to update this module to 2.4?

#13 2012-07-07 06:43:26

shermbug
2012-07-07

What is the compatibility status of this plugin module?  Is 0.1.d broken under Piwigo 2.4, or is it just not certified to be compatible?  I've just installed it for 2.4.1, and I don't appear to be able to do anything with it (and I do get a warning about compatibility in the plugin management section of the admin tools).

On a different note, but related to this plugin, I have some ideas that I posted in the forums over here: http://piwigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=132271.  If these ideas/requests can be implemented in the form of this plugin (or something similar) that would be very cool.

Meanwhile, thanks unclvito for creating this plugin and thanks to the entire Piwigo development community.... it's a great gallery system!

Pete S.

#14 2012-07-19 04:34:53

unclvito
Florida, USA
1970-01-01

Good news. Password protect is updated. Apparently there were some decent changes in 2.4.  You should see the upgrade the next time you log in.  Version is now 0.2.a.  I wanted the password settings to go on the "Permissions" tab but since that tab doesn't trigger an action I was unable to put it there.  So it's at the bottom of the "Properties" tab for now.

Hey Piwigo developers, you know why you don't do a trigger_action for the permissions tab page?  Are you doing things differently now in 2.4.x and on?

#15 2012-07-19 04:56:37

shermbug
2012-07-07

Thanks for the update!  It works!

I've noticed that the password overrides the general user permission level.  For example, you would think that an admin would not need to provide the password as they should have the rights to see all albums.  Is there any way to combine this plugin with the existing security options.  Instead of just having public or private albums, there could be a public, private, and semi-private (or whatever you want to call it).  Semi-private would allow a logged in user with appropriate access to get right into the album.  A user not logged in, or with insufficient privileges, would be prompted for the album password.

Thanks again!

Board footer