Announcement

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Is Piwigo rather lightweight, or a total resources whore, frankly ?

#1 2012-03-22 22:26:37

Oliverfr

Is Piwigo rather lightweight, or a total resources whore, frankly ?

Hello,

I'm considering starting using piwigo, however, over time, there could be 15 000 daily visitors I'd send to "my" Piwigo installation, so this has to be also considered from a resources point of view.

Please, if some of you have extensively used Piwigo, would you know if that script is rather lightweight, well thought/coded in that regard ?

Or is it going to consume a whole lot of CPU, RAM, or perhaps hog the database server ?

To avoid some misunderstandings...
- I know that sending 15k visitors to any CMS is going to generate pressure on a server,
- But sending visitors on a badly coded and not optimized resources whore can in no way be compared to sending the same volume of traffic on a correctly coded platform with some sort of cache system and server-based php acceleration... See what I mean ? :)
- My server (a Kimsufi 16G @ OVH, I'm hosting my blogs, my friends - including adult blogs, hence the traffic stats -, my family, I should start a company, haha) can comfortably accomodate around 60k visitors on wordpress blogs, plus more visitors on other platforms, I know what "optimization" implies ;)

In that regard, it is important for me to know what I should expect from Piwigo. Lightweight and reliable, or still too heavy and consuming until further development is done...

Thank you VERY MUCH if you can give me your thoughts on this matter :)

Best regards,
(and hoping I didn't screw up again with another stupid mistake like in my previous thread, I really should create myself a forum account)
Oliver

#2 2012-03-23 12:01:59

rvelices
Former Piwigo Team
2005-12-29

Re: Is Piwigo rather lightweight, or a total resources whore, frankly ?

Well I'm developing in piwigo, so my answer might be somehow biased, but I consider Piwigo to be very fast (compared to some other products).

I would say that everything depends on the size of your gallery (number of photos, albums, tags, associations between those as well as having permissions or not).

I would say that up to 10K photos there should be no issue on any normal web server. Given your dedicated server, I would say you can go a lot higher (however for a million photos you might have to deactivate some features).

#3 2012-03-23 12:36:56

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

I'm also working on Piwigo code so my opinion is totally biased.

Kimsufi 16G = i5 4x2.6GHZ, 16GB RAM. A real "beast" for a web server.

I'm much more positive than rvelices: 10k photos is a joke for Piwigo. When you'll have 500k photos, then maybe you may encounter troubles. But not on performances, on ergonomy: if you have 3k albums, it makes the album lists very long in the administration and not always easy to select the relevant album.

If you add photos with FTP+synchronization, then maybe you'll have to first synchronize directories and then synchronize directories one by one (no problem with other upload methods).

If we consider a very high rate of visits, just deactivate history for guests and you're done.

I feel very comfortable about Piwigo performances. I'm even sure that it's, by far, the fastest open source photo gallery if you compare with other software with equivalent features. But make your own test, you'll see by yourself ;-)

#4 2012-03-23 21:41:30

Oliverfr

Allright, thank you very much for the replies, you two, I'm grateful and reassured :)

#5 2012-05-10 07:05:27

ray

dear piwigo team, would you be so kind enough to point me to someone who uses piwigo for its 10k or more photos? thanks!

#6 2012-06-23 21:01:00

mendip_discovery
Mendip Hills, Somerset, UK
2012-05-19

ray wrote:

dear piwigo team, would you be so kind enough to point me to someone who uses piwigo for its 10k or more photos? thanks!

I have;
55,635 photos
69 albums including 69 physical and 0 virtual (55635 associations)
574 tags (331,770 associations)

I have another 100k to go. So once I have finished we will see how it handles a decent sized gallery. I am on a shared webhost that TBH was sluggish before I started.

•  » Miscellaneous
  •  » Is Piwigo rather lightweight, or a total resources whore, frankly ?

Board footer