Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

[Homepage] first sentence on Piwigo.org

Hello native English speakers,

I have received this from an English user of Piwigo:

Pierrick,

hello from Y****!

I'd like to mention one English error on the piwigo.org site that has always bothered me.  In English, the word "software" is uncountable, like "water" or "air".  So it makes no sense to say "a software".  Thus, you should correct the page title like this:

"Piwigo is an open source photo gallery software for the web"
-> "Piwigo is open source photo gallery software for the web"
OR "Piwigo is an open source photo gallery program for the web"

And similarly for the text "Piwigo is a photo gallery software for the web" on the page itself.  Thanks!

I didn't know that I couldn't write "Piwigo is a software"!

I don't like the word "program", it sounds too techie for me.

For now, I have remove the "a" in "Piwigo is a photo gallery software". Do you have any proposition to improve the wording on Piwigo.org homepage?

#2 2012-09-26 18:08:31

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Re: [Homepage] first sentence on Piwigo.org

I think it is ok without the 'a' as "Piwigo is photo gallery software for the web" but it still isn't good idiomatic English.

I would suggest two possibilities:-
"Piwigo is a set of photo gallery software for the web"
or
"Piwigo is web-based photo gallery software"

Alternatively, you could rewrite it:-
"Piwigo is open-source software that provides photo gallery facilities on the web"

Tadjio

#3 2012-09-27 17:11:11

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Interestingly, the Piwigo Newsletter for 2.4.4 says:
"Piwigo is the Free Open Source photo gallery software for the web".

Here it says 'the' not 'a' which implies it is 'the premier' software!
I think I would say:
"Piwigo is free Open Source photo gallery software for the web". (No capital Free:)

Tadjio

#4 2012-09-27 17:13:17

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

I don't usually look at the Piwigo.org Home Page as I go direct to the Forums.
There used to be an image in the large white space at the top left.  Where has it gone?

Also, couldn't we have a few more "Features you'll love" from Version 2.4 such as Watermarks?

Tadjio

#5 2012-09-27 21:20:27

Kaare
Translation Team
Odense, Denmark
2012-09-17

plg wrote:

For now, I have remove the "a" in "Piwigo is a photo gallery software". Do you have any proposition to improve the wording on Piwigo.org homepage?

Alas, there are many other cases of non-perfect English strings and files in Piwigo, most prominently in the plugins, I believe.  E.g., besides the mentioned incorrect "a software", there is a least one other uncountable noun being used incorrectly in several instances:  "informations", which should be "information".

It is also obvious that Piwigo is developed by French speaking people :-), as you will often find sentences ending in " :", " !" or " ?" (a space and a symbol), which is correct in French, but incorrect in English where such symbols immediately follows the last character.

I'm not a native English speaker, but would be willing to go through the core sets of strings/files and fix the (to me) obvious mistakes.  It would of course be better to ask a native speaker to do this.

Regards, Kaare

#6 2012-10-18 01:20:45

ilyandor
Phoenix, AZ
2012-10-11

not to butt in (happy national butt day), but
""Piwigo is a free Open Source photo gallery" is more than enough. Saying something like "software for the web" sounds silly and/or old, most people realize that the internet IS a software in itself. Essentially, you would be saying something like "piwigo is a free, build-it-yourself bicycle for the road"...not the best example but there it is.

my 2¢

#7 2012-10-19 08:51:40

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Hi ilyandor,

ilyandor wrote:

not to butt in (happy national butt day), but
""Piwigo is a free Open Source photo gallery" is more than enough. Saying something like "software for the web" sounds silly and/or old, most people realize that the internet IS a software in itself.

The problem is that you have photo galleries for desktop (Lightroom, iPhoto, digiKam or shotwell), we have to make obvious that Piwigo is designed to create a website, not to run on your computer.

#8 2012-10-19 08:53:15

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Tadjio wrote:

I like this one.

#9 2012-10-19 08:55:42

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Tadjio wrote:

I think I would say:
"Piwigo is free Open Source photo gallery software for the web". (No capital Free:)

The newsletter is not the same as the website: people who receive the newsletter have performed the action to sign up. They already know what Piwigo is. It is supposed "the software" they use for their photo gallery.

#10 2012-10-19 09:29:48

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Tadjio wrote:

There used to be an image in the large white space at the top left.  Where has it gone?

I don't understand which white space you're talking about. Here is what I see:

http://piwigo.org/forum/showimage.php?pid=136302&filename=piwigo.org+screen+capture+2012-10-19-9-27-1.png

Tadjio wrote:

Also, couldn't we have a few more "Features you'll love" from Version 2.4 such as Watermarks?

I will start a topic/facebook/google+/twitter survey to know which features user like the most (I will talk about it in the next newsletter for Piwigo 2.4.5, coming soon [Forum, topic 20582] Release 2.4.5 under preparation)

#11 2012-10-19 14:06:23

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

@plg : Kaare was speaking about Piwigo itself and plugins

@Kaare : the translation tool allows to modify English files, currently Billr and Tadjo have modification access but if you want you can ask ddtddt to get the access too :)

#12 2012-10-19 17:45:27

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

mistic100 wrote:

@Kaare : the translation tool allows to modify English files, currently Billr and Tadjo have modification access but if you want you can ask ddtddt to get the access too :)

@Kaare I open other translation  ;-)

But if you've time I prefer create da.piwigo.org ;-)

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#13 2012-10-20 00:04:19

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

plg wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

I like this one.

Thanks ;)

plg wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

I think I would say:

The newsletter is not the same as the website: people who receive the newsletter have performed the action to sign up. They already know what Piwigo is. It is supposed "the software" they use for their photo gallery.

The use of 'the' is just like the use of 'a' that you removed.  I still prefer my alternative for the newsletter.

plg wrote:

Tadjio wrote:

I don't understand which white space you're talking about.

I found the answer.  I had switched on Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode (for Docs editing) and that caused the image to go away :-(

Tadjio

•  » Translations
  •  » [Homepage] first sentence on Piwigo.org

Board footer