Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Documentation - please!

#1 2012-10-28 01:03:26

thomas1956
Translation Team
2010-12-29

Documentation - please!

Thanks for a very nice photo gallery system.
I think I have tried most of the available "out there":
- Gallery
- Coppermine
- Zenphoto
etc.
Still keeps coming back to Piwigo - it's one of the best!

BUT - BUT - BUT! One of the real bad parts of Piwigo is the lack of documentation.
The Wiki is very thin and almost non-existing.
Documentation for most of the plug-ins is non-existing.

I know this is a project, where people (the developers) are participating on a voluntary basis, but I really think the lack of documentation can kill the project in the long run.
It's very time-consuming to guess how the application is supposed to run and how to make modifications.
The theming system is also very sparsely documented as well.

I know this is not Wordpress, Joomla or something alike with a lot of resources to make the documentation, but I really think documentation of Piwigo's functionality and plugin and theming system must be prioritized.

Please dont't "just" make new software - make the documentation as well!

Regards and once again thank you for a nice gallery system

#2 2012-10-28 01:21:17

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: Documentation - please!

the lack of documentation can kill the project in the long run

the project is 10 years old, I don't think we will die for that

we know we need a doc BUT its very very very time consuming and difficult
the forum is here to help users, I think it's more important than a real doc

#3 2012-10-28 08:40:40

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Hi :-)

In the admin Page, They're a link 'Help Me' on top-right for help ans on particular pages they're http://piwigo.org/showcase/admin/themes/clear/icon/help.png or http://piwigo.org/showcase/admin/themes/default/icon/help.png (translate 100 % Danish since piwigo 2.4.5).

Users often begin by asking a question before reading help on their admin site or wiki or other forum topic.

The wiki is open you're welcome to contribute :-)

To help Danish users would you're help to implement location da.piwigo.org ?
With Danish wiki ?

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#4 2012-10-28 08:43:01

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

For theme, you can read on wiki : How To Customize Colors, Fonts and more (CSS coding)

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#5 2012-12-25 09:16:31

miblo69
Stockholm, Sweden
2012-06-05

Hi all,

I agree with thomas1956 that lack of developer documentation for Piwigo is a bit of a pain.

I have also tried the majority of the 'other' gallery applications, but keep returning to Piwigo too. But I would like a few additions/features that presumably quite simple to code. But to reverse engineer the whole project is a bit too much, just to understand where the edits/additions need to be done

A brief documentation on the basics would be nice, and the internal predefined structures (variables, Events, classes etc). For example - I want to edit the $TITLE variable in an index.tpl file. But how do I find what function/file/script that actually populates that variable?

I think some better documentation would also help to reduce the number of questions on the forums.

Many thanks for a really nice Gallery!

~Mike

#6 2012-12-25 09:48:42

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

Hi :-)

you can see [extension by ddtddt] Title

•  » Requests
  •  » Documentation - please!

Board footer