Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » SmartAlbums - Not sure how to approach picture uploads

#1 2013-01-19 01:55:55

Marq

SmartAlbums - Not sure how to approach picture uploads

Ok, still fairly new but liking what Piwigo can accomplish.  SmartAlbums is one of the plugins I have been looking at for my new site.  I understand the concept and how it works, but what I don't understand is the file uploads. 

Let's say I want to create a SmartAlbum based off a tag and a date range, which is great.  And I only want those files to be displayed as a SmartAlbum.  Let's say I have 100 pictures and 10 of those fit the filter of the SmartAlbum (tag name, date range).   Well what happens to those other 90 pictures.  I mean I am pulling these photos from some directory(s) on the site?

Can you have files (like photos, videos, etc) on Piwigo without an album associated with it?

I am just trying to figure out how I would create all these SmartAlbum.

Do I just do a batch upload of 1 directory with 10000 files.  Hide that Album from all users except Webmaster/Administrator, create SmartAlbums from that one big hidden Album and make those SmartAlbums visible to normal/anon website visitors?

Does this make sense or am I making it more complex than it really is?

#2 2013-01-19 02:10:22

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

Re: SmartAlbums - Not sure how to approach picture uploads

Yes an element can be "orphan" (they are still accessible in the Batch Manager with the good filter)
BUT you must give a parent album when you upload a file

So if you plan to work only with Smart Albums, yes you can upload all files in an hidden album and make association with the plugin

If so you should go to SmartAlbums config and uncheck "exclude SmartAlbums from permissions management" otherwise it won't work

#3 2013-01-19 02:34:44

Marq

Ok.. making more sense, but another question.

Let's say I go ahead and create one superdirectory with all my pics.  Set that superdirectory as Private.  Create a SmartAlbum set it as Public.  Now since the superdirectory has its permissions set as Private, does that prevent items within the superdirectory from being displayed in the public smartalbum?

I am not very familiar with how permissions work on piwigo.  Are the permissions based solely on the Album and not really it's contents or is every file within that directory set to private.  If so, would pictures even show up for my SmartAlbum if they are set in a private mode in another album?

#4 2013-01-19 05:20:27

Marq

Ok... so I went ahead and did a little test and I don't think the results were practical or I maybe just user error in my setup.

So I created an album1 threw some photos with tags in it.  Set permissions to private.

I created album2, set permission to public.
created album2/smartalbum and filtered (using tags) two photos that reside in album1

When I view the website, I album1 is not displayed.  Album2 is, with smartalbum listed as well.
smartalbum shows that is contains two items, and it also shows a thumbnail of one of them, but when you go into the smartalbum there are no photos.  Empty space where photos should be displayed.

I set album1 to public and the pictures show up fine in the smartalbum.

So if this is how it works I will most likely need to expose the main directory that would contain all my pics which I really don't want to do...

any suggestions?

#5 2013-01-19 05:23:15

Marq

nevermind... i forgot to uncheck that box you mention :)

seems to work as i would like now.  Thanks.

#6 2013-01-19 11:19:13

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

great :)

in the next version this box will be unchecked by default

•  » Extensions
  •  » SmartAlbums - Not sure how to approach picture uploads

Board footer