Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Developing new plugin, patching core files

#1 2013-04-01 23:10:20

micah
2013-04-01

Developing new plugin, patching core files

I'm nearing the release of my first Piwigo plugin, and I want to provide an accurate caveat for anyone interesting in trying/using the plugin.

I'm using the provided hooks (events, triggers) for almost the entire plugin code base, except for one instance, a work-around, to get one key feature in place.

The plugin attempts to patch a core file (and fails gracefully; even if the dependent feature doesn't work, the rest of the plugin operates normally).

The patching adds only one statement, a copy() call to make a temporary copy of the an image upload before Piwigo resizes (samples down) the upload (if configured to do so, and the image exceeds the max size chosen). The full-size original temporary copy is then used by the plugin and removed shortly after it's created.

The patching proceeds as cautiously as possible. If the md5 hash of the core file contents doesn't match exactly as it should based on the current (2.5.0) release of the file, then no patching is attempted.

Also, when the plugin is deactivated, un-patching takes place (reversing the patch) back to the original state.

Okay, so here is my understanding Piwigo is implemented and used:

Scenarios:
1) Self-hosted Piwigo install
2) Piwigo.com customer
3) 3rd-party (not piwigo.com) Piwigo service provider customer

I presume for Scenario #1 that patching is reasonable. Even the (I'm guessing minority of) self-hosted users who may have customized their own core file will not be affected because of the hashing check.

In Scenario #2, I'd presume patching is *not acceptable* because of the single code base, multi-site implementation.

In Scenario #3, I'd guess it depends how the provider implements the install. If there's an independent codebase for each customer (e.g. like a virtual machine setup) then there may or may not be any issues.

So, if you've read this far (congrats) any corrections or my assumptions, questions, or suggestions?

#2 2013-04-02 08:17:14

flop25
Piwigo Team
2006-07-06

Re: Developing new plugin, patching core files

Hello
What's exactly the patch? We might integer it in the core directly ;-)

To get a better help : Politeness like Hello-A link-Your past actions precisely described
Check my extensions : more than 30 available
who I am and what I do : http://fr.gravatar.com/flop25
My gallery : an illustration of how to integrate Piwigo in your website

#3 2013-04-09 07:59:17

micah
2013-04-01

Re: Developing new plugin, patching core files

Ok, I think I've got it sorted out for the time being.

I just released my plugin, called S3Upload:

http://piwigo.org/ext/extension_view.php?eid=691

Hope I got the extension published alright.

flop25, to explain the patch: Line 243 in http://piwigo.org/dev/browser/trunk/adm … c.php#L243

goes from:

==============================
move_uploaded_file($source_filepath, $file_path);

to:

move_uploaded_file($source_filepath, $file_path); copy($file_path, $file_path.'.s3'); //patch by s3Upload Plugin

So, if there could be an event/trigger to get access to the uploaded file at this point, that would be great.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

•  » Extensions
  •  » Developing new plugin, patching core files

Board footer