Announcement

•  » Extensions
  •  » Automatic Size: idea to improve

#1 2013-12-13 14:51:54

marfig
2013-12-12

Automatic Size: idea to improve

Hi all,
if I understand function of Automatic Size plugin correctly, it displays the closest smaller image in the page. Reason for this is that re-sizing on server size is better (from image quality point of view) than on client and also to keep data transfer small as possible.

I'm fine with this, but this approach means in the most cases that part of the screen is unused because very often isn't screen size same as predefined image sizes.

My idea is to load the closest bigger image and make finale re-size on the client, data transfer will be again fine and regarding quality of resizing.. it depends on the user, I guess users will prefer "full window" and will not see difference in resize.

What do you think about?
If I have some time, I will check code for this plugin .. maybe it will not be so difficult to adjust it in this way.

Thanks for ideas
Best Regards
Martin

#2 2013-12-13 15:03:16

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: Automatic Size: idea to improve

Hi marfig,

What you describe is near what [extension by cljosse] Autosize was. Automatic Size came as replacement because Autosize was far too complex (the code and the ergonomy for the user). Autosize = 6k lines of code, Automatic Size = 0.2k lines of code. Yes, that's 30 times smaller, for the same feature.

The improvement you propose is interesting but it must:

1) be deactivated by default, which means that it would require to add a configuration page :-/
2) keep the code simple and robust

If you think you can give a try with that in mind, then I would be glad to test and review it :-)

#3 2013-12-13 15:11:08

marfig
2013-12-12

Re: Automatic Size: idea to improve

Hi Plg,
you are right, Autosize was first plugin which I have tried, but because several errors occurred I disabled it and activated Automatic Size.

ok, I will check current plugin's code and we will see :)

Regards
Martin

•  » Extensions
  •  » Automatic Size: idea to improve

Board footer