•  » PHP: a fractal of bad design

#1 2014-04-28 22:16:07

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

PHP: a fractal of bad design

Hi

very interesting post about how PHP is badly designed compared to other languages
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/ph … ad-design/

I can relate when I was totally stuck on an incomprehensible error during half an hour because I had a silent cast somewhere on my code.
Now I do more Java than PHP, I'm really pleased to have a software that won't compile at all when I do strange things.

Some gems I discovered:

NULL < -1 and NULL == 0

Variable names are case-sensitive. Function and class names are not.

The __toString method can’t throw exceptions. If you try, PHP will… er, throw an exception.

create_function is not garbage collected [that's really dangerous in a loop !]

and obviously the big inconstancy of the API (bin2hex, strtoupper, etc.)

I don't meant to drop PHP and migrate to Java or Python. PHP is really awesome by it's simplicity to deploy and learn.

But I think anybody should be aware of the underlying syntax and security problems in order to build strong scripts.

---

Just a word about Piwigo: I would like at least to migrate all our database access to MySQLi and it's prepared statement and queries parameterizers, this would allow to remove much headaches with mysql_real_escape_string, addslashes and so on.

Personally I'm also totally for the use full OO architecture with a strong back-end framework (not Symphony or Zend which are really too heavy), but I would require too much rewrite work so it's not realistic.

#2 2014-05-01 18:04:03

plg
Piwigo Team
Nantes, France, Europe
2002-04-05

Re: PHP: a fractal of bad design

mistic100 wrote:

Just a word about Piwigo: I would like at least to migrate all our database access to MySQLi and it's prepared statement and queries parameterizers, this would allow to remove much headaches with mysql_real_escape_string, addslashes and so on.

[Forum, topic 23721] mysqli prepared statements

mistic100 wrote:

Personally I'm also totally for the use full OO architecture with a strong back-end framework (not Symphony or Zend which are really too heavy), but I would require too much rewrite work so it's not realistic.

I don't think it is a good idea to switch Piwigo on such frameworks. But I think these frameworks are very useful, depending on the situation.

#3 2014-05-12 13:04:23

billy88
2014-05-12

NULL == 0

This is obvious in php (and I don't say I agree with it), use identical ( === ) operator if you want to make sure types are the same. 0 false "" (empty string) are equal using equal operator "==". Refer to docs: http://php.net/manual/en/types.comparisons.php for more info.

#4 2014-05-12 13:34:07

mistic100
Former Piwigo Team
Lyon (FR)
2008-09-27

please don't take things out of context, I quoted exactly

Code:

NULL < -1 and NULL == 0

THIS is not obvious

--

I didn't openned this topic for discussing about should we use either == or === etc, many topics on stackoverflow already exists with many people talking in circles :)

#5 2014-05-12 13:41:56

billy88
2014-05-12

:)

I ment only using equal operator. The thing with NULL < -1 is funny thing indeed, but well its like comparing apples to oranges, interpreter has to work it out somehow, and it would be funny in other
direction too :)

NULL > -1 :P

and this case would be hilarious :D
NULL == -1 :D

•  » Off topic
  •  » PHP: a fractal of bad design

Board footer