Announcement

•  » Requests
  •  » Is anyone interested in a Piwigo App for Windows 8 (RT)?

#1 2014-02-11 21:34:07

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Is anyone interested in a Piwigo App for Windows 8 (RT)?

Hello,

I am working on a Windows 8 App the displays a Piwigo gallery using the native touch-based interface.

I originally started working on this because I moved all our family albums to Piwigo and thought the touch interface might be a little easier and cleaner to use for my parents.

My initial release will include
* Multiple albums (with login)
* View by category
* View by Tag
* Comment
* Rank
(No admin features in first release)

The app will use the Piwigo API so set up should be very easy for the end-user and validation rules and permissions will be applied.

Is there any interest for something like this in the Piwigo community? Which features would be most important to you?

Thank you!
-Ivan
www.bliskavka.com

#2 2014-02-11 21:50:16

Tadjio
UK
2012-05-02

Re: Is anyone interested in a Piwigo App for Windows 8 (RT)?

I have Windows 8.1 on my PC with a touch screen and I am interested in your proposed app.

Tadjio

#3 2014-02-12 09:25:48

bayral
2009-09-01

Hello !

It seem a Piwigo Application already exist for Win 8.
I have look a it shortly and i think this application can't show all albums and photos.
It must be a good think maybe to add new features to this application as showing some picure from gallery in tile on the tiles screen for exemple.

I have writed a client librairy in CSharp  and started a WPF client for piwigo, all sources are on the the SVN in the Piwigo.net project or some thing approching.
May be this assembly may help you for you dev, the lib make the call to the piwigo sever, parse the response and return objects, as they may be updated.

I don't have to much time to finish it.
I have a win 8.1 pro tab, so I can make some test, and help you as i can.
I think working together with the dev of the already existing piwigo application can be a good think.

thanks

#4 2014-02-12 12:10:27

ddtddt
Piwigo Team
Quetigny - France
2007-07-27

You love Piwigo so don't hesitate to participate, learn more on the "Contribute to Piwigo" page. If you don't have much time for contribution, you can also help the project with a donation.

#5 2014-02-12 15:57:03

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Thank you all for the feedback. I did check out the App mentioned but it is for the phone only and can't view existing albums.

@bayral
Thank you for pointing me to that project. I wish I had known about it earlier because I ended up writing very similar code. The main difference is that mine is written as a Portable Class Library for compatibility with Windows, WindowsRT, and Windows Phone.

I will study that project some more tonight, I think I can learn a lot from it.

#6 2014-03-12 14:43:09

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Hello All,

I cant believe it has been a month already!

I published the first release of the to the Windows store, check it out:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/p … 601eb246ec

I ended up only including viewing features in the first release. No comments or sorting at this time but I would love to hear your feedback.

Thank you!
Ivan

#7 2014-03-13 06:54:56

meegja
The Netherlands
2013-11-18

I for one find the whole Windows 8.1 Start screen the most useless thing ever. I mean the start screen of Windows 8.1 itself eh, not your app ;)
Also a tip: I did receive your mail that you did send through my site's contact form. I am sure you are very enthusiastic about your gallery you made for Piwigo :)
But it easily can be considered as spam. The Piwigo site itself is great to announce it though: there is the Extensions part and the forum here to announce it.
My advise: do not use the mail forms of users that made their site with Piwigo to promote the app you made? It is not commercial yet it can be considered as spam because you are promoting your own extension.

Last edited by meegja (2014-03-13 17:26:57)

#8 2014-03-14 14:56:24

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Hello meegja.

I agree with you about the start screen for laptops and desktops. I never use it, I simply open it up and start typing my program or file name then hit enter. Same as in Windows 7. That being said the classic menu is a royal pain on a tablet without a keyboard and mouse. They should have released both.

Thanks for the tip. I've actually got some positive responses from some site owners, but some have complained to Pierrick about spam. I'm not doing that any more.

-Ivan

#9 2014-03-14 15:03:46

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Next release:

I'm considering adding an option to cache the data within the app. The gallery data and images will be stored on the computer and updated when the internet connection is available. This will improve image load speeds, reduce server load and allow the gallery to be used without an internet connection.

To prevent site rips the images will be cached in isolated storage.

#10 2014-06-17 00:25:45

Nigel Allen

I downloaded this app to my nokia lumina 1020 but cannot seem to get it to upload, when I select a picture to upload it just returns to the previous screen.
Any ideas?
Nigel

#11 2014-06-17 19:06:10

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Hello Nigel,

The app in this thread was only released for Windows 8 RT (Surface/Tablets/Laptops/Etc.). There might be a separate support thread for the Windows Phone app.

Good Luck,
-Ivan

#12 2014-06-17 20:25:51

Nigel Allen1

Thanks-
The link you posted goes to a windows phone app- maybe you need to change this as it downloads to a windows phone!

#13 2014-06-17 21:51:53

ibliskavka
2014-02-11

Ahhh. Yes ddtddt's link does go to the phone app. Sorry about the confusion.
-Ivan

•  » Requests
  •  » Is anyone interested in a Piwigo App for Windows 8 (RT)?

Board footer